Old 04-13-2011, 04:32 AM
"YANG,Chao"

Default Question about the version of debian

Dear Sir,
Recently, I downloaded a 32bit version of Debian from the following
website:

http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.1a/i386/iso-dvd/

However, after finishing installation, I found that the 32bit OS
turned out to be amd-64bit:
uname -a
Linux my-computer 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 8 22:49:26 UTC 2011
x86_64 GNU/Linux

I wonder if there is anything wrong? Thanks very much for your
attention.

Best,

--
Yang Chao
RM B007D, University Apartment Tower B

Old 04-13-2011, 05:44 AM
Asias He

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM, YANG,Chao <yorkey@ust.hk> wrote:
> Dear Sir,
> * Recently, I downloaded a 32bit version of Debian from the following
> website:
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.1a/i386/iso-dvd/
>
> * However, after finishing installation, I found that the 32bit OS
> turned out to be amd-64bit:
> * uname -a
> * Linux my-computer 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 8 22:49:26 UTC 2011
> x86_64 GNU/Linux

Can you post:

$ dpkg -l|grep linux-image

in your system.

Did you have a 64-bit kernel installed on a 32-bit host.

> * I wonder if there is anything wrong? Thanks very much for your
> attention.
>
> Best,
>

> --
> Yang Chao
> RM B007D, University Apartment Tower B
> The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Clear Water Bay,
> Kowloon
> Hong Kong
> Email: yorkey@ust.hk

Best Regards
Asias He

Old 04-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 13:44 +0800, Asias He wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 12:32 PM, YANG,Chao <yorkey@ust.hk> wrote:
> > Dear Sir,
> > Recently, I downloaded a 32bit version of Debian from the following
> > website:
> >
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.1a/i386/iso-dvd/
> >
> > However, after finishing installation, I found that the 32bit OS
> > turned out to be amd-64bit:
> > uname -a
> > Linux my-computer 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 8 22:49:26 UTC 2011
> > x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> Can you post:
>
> $ dpkg -l|grep linux-image
>
> in your system.
>
> Did you have a 64-bit kernel installed on a 32-bit host.

'dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH' will show which architecture the
rest of the system uses.

A 64-bit kernel is not supposed to be automatically selected, but it
could be if the system has 4 GB RAM and the '686-bigmem' flavour is not
available for some reason.

Please use 'reportbug installation-report' to provide more information.
The debian-devel list is not the place to send bug reports.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 04-13-2011, 12:27 PM
Raphael Hertzog

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> 'dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH' will show which architecture the
> rest of the system uses.

dpkg --print-architecture is better suited (dpkg-architecture is a
dpkg-dev script).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)

Old 04-13-2011, 12:47 PM
"YANG,Chao"

dpkg --print-architecture shows
i386.

However, uname -a shows
x86-64

what does this mean?

Best,

Old 04-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 20:47 +0800, YANG,Chao wrote:
> dpkg --print-architecture shows
> i386.
>
> However, uname -a shows
> x86-64
>
> what does this mean?

It means Asias He was right. And this is a perfectly valid
configuration (though it confuses some third-party installers).

But I think this is a bug in the configuration of the CD/DVD creation:
the amd64 flavour is on DVD 1 but the 686-bigmem flavour is on DVD 2.
The latter definitely should be on DVD 1 (and CD 1 or 2, rather than CD
10!).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 04-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le mercredi 13 avril 2011 * 14:02 +0100, Ben Hutchings a écrit :
> On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 20:47 +0800, YANG,Chao wrote:
> > dpkg --print-architecture shows
> > i386.
> >
> > However, uname -a shows
> > x86-64
> >
> > what does this mean?
>
> It means Asias He was right. And this is a perfectly valid
> configuration (though it confuses some third-party installers).
>
> But I think this is a bug in the configuration of the CD/DVD creation:
> the amd64 flavour is on DVD 1 but the 686-bigmem flavour is on DVD 2.
> The latter definitely should be on DVD 1 (and CD 1 or 2, rather than CD
> 10!).

How is that a problem? An overwhelming majority of CPUs today are amd64,
and even if you choose to install a i386 userland (there are various
good reasons for that), you still want an amd64 kernel to benefit of all
your CPU can offer.

--
.'`. Josselin Mouette
: :' :

Old 04-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 09:19 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 13 avril 2011 14:02 +0100, Ben Hutchings a crit :
> > On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 20:47 +0800, YANG,Chao wrote:
> > > dpkg --print-architecture shows
> > > i386.
> > >
> > > However, uname -a shows
> > > x86-64
> > >
> > > what does this mean?
> >
> > It means Asias He was right. And this is a perfectly valid
> > configuration (though it confuses some third-party installers).
> >
> > But I think this is a bug in the configuration of the CD/DVD creation:
> > the amd64 flavour is on DVD 1 but the 686-bigmem flavour is on DVD 2.
> > The latter definitely should be on DVD 1 (and CD 1 or 2, rather than CD
> > 10!).
>
> How is that a problem? An overwhelming majority of CPUs today are amd64,
> and even if you choose to install a i386 userland (there are various
> good reasons for that), you still want an amd64 kernel to benefit of all
> your CPU can offer.

There are compatibility issues with third-party scripts that rely on
'uname -m' to select which architecture to use in userland. And there
are still a few places where 32-bit compatibility wrappers are missing
in the kernel. Personally, I do use this combination, but I'm not ready
to recommend it in general.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings

Old 04-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Mike Hommey

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 04:09:45PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-04-16 at 09:19 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> > > It means Asias He was right. And this is a perfectly valid
> > > configuration (though it confuses some third-party installers).
> > >
> > > But I think this is a bug in the configuration of the CD/DVD creation:
> > > the amd64 flavour is on DVD 1 but the 686-bigmem flavour is on DVD 2.
> > > The latter definitely should be on DVD 1 (and CD 1 or 2, rather than CD
> > > 10!).
> >
> > How is that a problem? An overwhelming majority of CPUs today are amd64,
> > and even if you choose to install a i386 userland (there are various
> > good reasons for that), you still want an amd64 kernel to benefit of all
> > your CPU can offer.
>
> There are compatibility issues with third-party scripts that rely on
> 'uname -m' to select which architecture to use in userland.

Is there a compelling reason for init not to set the right personality?

Mike