Old 04-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Witold Baryluk

Default alpha and hppa removal from unstable/experimental

On 04-01 21:55, Mark Hymers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As mentioned in the recent ftp-team meeting minutes, we're planning to
> remove alpha and hppa from unstable. They were removed from testing
> before the squeeze release and there's no sign that they will be release
> architectures for wheezy. As such, we're planning to remove them from
> unstable and experimental in the next few days. buildd support for
> unstable and experimental will also be ended at that time, but will
> obviously continue for lenny updates / security builds.
>
> Before we remove the architectures, archives will be taken for anyone
> who wants to take a copy of the dump to use elsewhere. These dumps will
> be made available on request.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Mark,

why nobody answers our questions?

I today say that alpha disappered from unstable buildd.

Why is ftp-team acting without any discussion or explanation
of their reasons? Is ignoring debian-alpha and -hppa people
is a way this project works?

Regards,
Witek

--
Witold Baryluk

Old 04-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 08:06:42PM +0200, Witold Baryluk wrote:
> why nobody answers our questions?
>
> I today say that alpha disappered from unstable buildd.

Actually, I've replied to (some of) porters question. I'm sorry my
replies didn't hit -alpha, but I've answered to an explicit inquiry
which didn't include that list. Please check the archives of -hppa.

The short story is that there are several people (debian-ports
maintainers, DSA, ftp-masters, etc.) currently working on finding a
stable solution to host hppa and alpha. I'm not sure about buildd
status, but it's transient as everything else, until an hosting solution
is found. People who cares about those and other archs should really
consider offer helping hands, in particular to debian-ports, in order to
move forward on this topic.

Cheers.
Quando anche i santi ti voltano le spalle, | . |. I've fans everywhere

Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Lars Wirzenius

On su, 2011-04-10 at 20:06 +0200, Witold Baryluk wrote:
> I today say that alpha disappered from unstable buildd.

I am a mostly dis-interested outsider for both the alpha and hppa
architectures. I write this to be supportive of the ftpmasters.

It seems to me that the alpha porters have had quite a lot of time to
bring the architecture up to the level of quality that is expected from
Debian ports in the main archive.

alpha was dropped from being a squeeze release architecture in October,
2009.[0] That's 17 months ago. The problem of lack of porter manpower
have affected alpha for much longer than that, of course. Having a
couple of new people promise to do better is not enough, in my opinion:
the best of intentions and the most heroic efforts of a very small
number of people is not enough, there needs to be enough people involved
to keep it as a viable port.

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2009/10/msg00003.html

Moving alpha out from the main archive does not need to be the end of
Debian on alpha, I'm sure. And if the port can show a sustained effort
for a sufficiently long time, I'm equally sure the project will happily
welcome it back into the main archive for the wheezy release. But that
sustained effort should come first, in my humble opinion.

(Although, now that I think about it, it's probably hard for alpha to be
considered a viable architecture, unless there is new hardware being
produced and sold.)

--
Blog/wiki/website hosting with ikiwiki (free for free software):
http://www.branchable.com/

Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Colin Tuckley

On 10/04/11 20:04, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> I am a mostly dis-interested outsider for both the alpha and hppa
> architectures. I write this to be supportive of the ftpmasters.

+1

> It seems to me that the alpha porters have had quite a lot of time to
> bring the architecture up to the level of quality that is expected from
> Debian ports in the main archive.

Agreed, not only that but once they *do* get it back to release quality
they need to demonstrate that they have the manpower resources to keep
it there. I think that maintaining it properly for at least six months
would demonstrate that they have a viable team.

> The problem of lack of porter manpower
> have affected alpha for much longer than that, of course. Having a
> couple of new people promise to do better is not enough

Agreed, a sensibly sized working team is required.

> (Although, now that I think about it, it's probably hard for alpha to be
> considered a viable architecture, unless there is new hardware being
> produced and sold.)

There needs to be enough reliable hardware available to maintain the
port. Without that the task is impossible.

Colin

--
Colin Tuckley | +44(0)1223 293413 | PGP/GnuPG Key Id
Debian Developer | +44(0)7799 143369 | 0x1B3045CE

Useless Invention: Particle board tent stakes.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:47 PM
"Uwe Schindler"

Apt-get update on unstable still worked today for the german debian ftp
server.

If it disappears, I want to have the dump as noted:
> > Before we remove the architectures, archives will be taken for anyone
> > who wants to take a copy of the dump to use elsewhere. These dumps
> > will be made available on request.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Bernd Zeimetz

On 04/10/2011 09:22 PM, Colin Tuckley wrote:
>> (Although, now that I think about it, it's probably hard for alpha to be
>> considered a viable architecture, unless there is new hardware being
>> produced and sold.)
>
> There needs to be enough reliable hardware available to maintain the
> port. Without that the task is impossible.

Getting used, old (even fast, like 1 GHz CPUs) hardware is not that
hard. But you will have to find a place to host it.

http://bzed.de http://www.debian.org
GPG Fingerprints: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F

Old 06-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Yaroslav Halchenko

Since there is no hppa port any longer, shouldn't we close all
hppa-specific bug reports?

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?status=open;include=subject%3Ahppa

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences

Old 06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Matthias Klose

On 25.06.2012 19:34, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Since there is no hppa port any longer, shouldn't we close all
> hppa-specific bug reports?
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?status=open;include=subject%3Ahppa

why? it's still a port.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:53 AM
John David Anglin

Since there is no hppa port any longer, shouldn't we close all
hppa-specific bug reports?

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?status=open;include=subject%3Ahppa

why? it's still a port.

I am still building unstable packages and reporting bugs for hppa
unstable.

Dave
--
John David Anglin dave.anglin@bell.net

Old 06-26-2012, 04:37 AM
Yaroslav Halchenko

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012, John David Anglin wrote:
> >>Since there is no hppa port any longer, shouldn't we close all
> >>hppa-specific bug reports?
> >>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?status=open;include=subject%3Ahppa
> >why? it's still a port.
> I am still building unstable packages and reporting bugs for hppa
> unstable.

sorry for the noise guys -- I guess I got mixed up with what
'discontinued' meant on http://www.debian.org/ports . Now that I
scrolled further I see that there are also really 'dead' ones ;-)

Cheers,