Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Torsten Werner

Default plan to clean up unstable

Hi,

I plan to remove very old source packages from unstable. The actual
algorithm will be:

from all source packages that have more than 1 versions in unstable:
remove all of them that have version < newest_version and that have been
uploaded before 2009.

A full list is available from
<http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/pre-lenny.txt>. Architecture
'all' has been excluded for technical reasons but will be removed, too.
More than 200 source packages are affected.

Please let me know if you see any problem.

Thanks,
Torsten

Old 04-10-2011, 05:14 PM
Samuel Thibault

Torsten Werner, le Sun 10 Apr 2011 18:45:54 +0200, a crit :
> from all source packages that have more than 1 versions in unstable:
> remove all of them that have version < newest_version and that have been
> uploaded before 2009.
>
> A full list is available from
> <http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/pre-lenny.txt>. Architecture
> 'all' has been excluded for technical reasons but will be removed, too.
> More than 200 source packages are affected.

Actually, we had already requested ftp-master to drop the hurd-i386
packages you mentioned

Samuel

Old 04-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Mehdi Dogguy

I plan to remove very old source packages from unstable. The actual
algorithm will be:

from all source packages that have more than 1 versions in unstable:
remove all of them that have version< newest_version and that have
been uploaded before 2009.

can't this limit to 2009 be pushed further? what would be the difference
if we consider 2010, or 2011? (Just want to see the impact).

Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/

Old 04-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Svante Signell

On Sun, 2011-04-10 at 19:14 +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Torsten Werner, le Sun 10 Apr 2011 18:45:54 +0200, a crit :
> > from all source packages that have more than 1 versions in unstable:
> > remove all of them that have version < newest_version and that have been
> > uploaded before 2009.
> >
> > A full list is available from
> > <http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/pre-lenny.txt>. Architecture
> > 'all' has been excluded for technical reasons but will be removed, too.
> > More than 200 source packages are affected.
>
> Actually, we had already requested ftp-master to drop the hurd-i386
> packages you mentioned

Unfortunately the list contains some other packages, not
remove-requested by Michael Banck.

Just a small comment: if the Debian maintainers would apply patches the
list could be shorter:

libpcap0.8: #612834

Old 04-10-2011, 05:54 PM
Torsten Werner

Am -10.01.-28163 20:59, schrieb Mehdi Dogguy:
> can't this limit to 2009 be pushed further? what would be the difference
> if we consider 2010, or 2011? (Just want to see the impact).

800 packages would be affected if the date limit would be set to < 2011.
I have generated a full list at
<http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/pre-squeeze.txt>. I am happy
to remove them later.

Torsetn

Old 04-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Steve Langasek

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 06:45:54PM +0200, Torsten Werner wrote:

> I plan to remove very old source packages from unstable. The actual
> algorithm will be:

> from all source packages that have more than 1 versions in unstable:
> remove all of them that have version < newest_version and that have been
> uploaded before 2009.

> A full list is available from
> <http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/pre-lenny.txt>. Architecture
> 'all' has been excluded for technical reasons but will be removed, too.
> More than 200 source packages are affected.

> Please let me know if you see any problem.

Only that I had a hard time understanding what you were talking about
removing. :-) I was worried that you meant you wanted to remove all source
packages that have new upstream versions available and have not been
uploaded since 2009... evidently that is not what you have in mind!

I agree, dropping binaries from old source versions so that we can prune the
sources is a good idea.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 04-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Mark Hymers

On Sun, 10, Apr, 2011 at 11:50:45AM -0700, Steve Langasek spoke thus..
> I agree, dropping binaries from old source versions so that we can prune the
> sources is a good idea.

Yeah, that confused me a bit too!

Torsten, do you think we should add this to the cruft-report output?
Maybe using a two year cut off or something (entirely arbitrary) so that
they'd be listed at http://ftp-master.debian.org/cruft-report-daily.txt ?

Mark

--
Mark Hymers <mhy at debian dot org>

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid but some abuse the privilege."
Unknown

Old 04-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Torsten Werner

Am -10.01.-28163 20:59, schrieb Svante Signell:
> libpcap0.8: #612834

A new version that includes the patch has been uploaded and that means
that the old version will be automatically removed from unstable.

Torsten

Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Torsten Werner

Am -10.01.-28163 20:59, schrieb Steve Langasek:
> Only that I had a hard time understanding what you were talking about
> removing. :-)

Okay, let me rephrase it: i'll keep the newest version of each source
package and all older versions that have been uploaded after 2008.

Torsten

Old 04-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Jakub Wilk

* Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org>, 2011-04-10, 18:45:

http://ftp-master.debian.org/users/twerner/pre-lenny.txt

1. These packages were uploaded recently:

altree guile-cairo nyquist

How about giving maintainers/autobuilders a little more time?

2. libmowgli is in the middle of a transition, and there are still some
reverse dependencies of its old version. Bad idea to remove it now.

3. These packages are non-free, non-auto-buildable, and have no RC bug
filed:

amiwm dgen libapache-mod-fastcgi lmbench nttcp q-tools sgb
teamspeak-server

If we remove old binaries, they'll migrate to testing, even though
nobody cared about them for months/years. I don't think this is what we
want.

--
Jakub Wilk