Old 04-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Scott Kitterman

Default "Python2.6 as default"

I noticed that this is still listed at http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals.

Obviously that was a Squeeze goal. The equivalent goal for Wheezy should be
python2.7 as default and python2.5 and python2.6 removed.

Scott K

Old 04-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Andreas Barth

* Scott Kitterman (debian@kitterman.com) [110409 19:07]:
> Obviously that was a Squeeze goal. The equivalent goal for Wheezy should be
> python2.7 as default and python2.5 and python2.6 removed.

Sure. Please feel free to fix that.

Andi

Old 04-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Michael Gilbert

Scott Kitterman wrote:

> I noticed that this is still listed at http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals.
>
> Obviously that was a Squeeze goal. The equivalent goal for Wheezy should be
> python2.7 as default and python2.5 and python2.6 removed.

Is it out of the question to target python3.x as the default? wheezy's
release is still 2 years away, so there's a lot of time to fix potential
complications.

Best wishes,
Mike

Old 04-09-2011, 05:38 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Saturday, April 09, 2011 01:33:01 PM Michael Gilbert wrote:
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > I noticed that this is still listed at
> > http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals.
> >
> > Obviously that was a Squeeze goal. The equivalent goal for Wheezy should
> > be python2.7 as default and python2.5 and python2.6 removed.
>
> Is it out of the question to target python3.x as the default? wheezy's
> release is still 2 years away, so there's a lot of time to fix potential
> complications.

We've treated python and python3 as separate runtime environments. We also
have a default python3 (just in the middle of transitioning to 3.2). The only
meaningful change that would make python3 the 'default python' is if we
pointed /usr/bin/python at it. It is definitely premature to do that. If we
ever contemplate such a change is will be several releases from now.

Scott K