-   -   "Python2.6 as default" (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/512077-python2-6-default.html)

Scott Kitterman 04-09-2011 05:07 PM

"Python2.6 as default"

I noticed that this is still listed at http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals.

Obviously that was a Squeeze goal. The equivalent goal for Wheezy should be
python2.7 as default and python2.5 and python2.6 removed.

Scott K

Andreas Barth 04-09-2011 05:26 PM

"Python2.6 as default"

* Scott Kitterman (debian@kitterman.com) [110409 19:07]:
> Obviously that was a Squeeze goal. The equivalent goal for Wheezy should be
> python2.7 as default and python2.5 and python2.6 removed.

Sure. Please feel free to fix that.

Andi

Michael Gilbert 04-09-2011 05:33 PM

"Python2.6 as default"

Scott Kitterman wrote:

> I noticed that this is still listed at http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals.
>
> Obviously that was a Squeeze goal. The equivalent goal for Wheezy should be
> python2.7 as default and python2.5 and python2.6 removed.

Is it out of the question to target python3.x as the default? wheezy's
release is still 2 years away, so there's a lot of time to fix potential
complications.

Best wishes,
Mike

Scott Kitterman 04-09-2011 05:38 PM

"Python2.6 as default"

On Saturday, April 09, 2011 01:33:01 PM Michael Gilbert wrote:
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > I noticed that this is still listed at
> > http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals.
> >
> > Obviously that was a Squeeze goal. The equivalent goal for Wheezy should
> > be python2.7 as default and python2.5 and python2.6 removed.
>
> Is it out of the question to target python3.x as the default? wheezy's
> release is still 2 years away, so there's a lot of time to fix potential
> complications.

We've treated python and python3 as separate runtime environments. We also
have a default python3 (just in the middle of transitioning to 3.2). The only
meaningful change that would make python3 the 'default python' is if we
pointed /usr/bin/python at it. It is definitely premature to do that. If we
ever contemplate such a change is will be several releases from now.

Scott K