-   -   MBF la-file-removal: links-not-existing-la (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/511608-mbf-la-file-removal-links-not-existing-la.html)

Laurent Bigonville 04-08-2011 10:39 AM

MBF la-file-removal: links-not-existing-la

Hi,

I'm happy that somebody did this MBF, it was thinking about doing this
for a long time but never had the time to really look at it.

Some package have .la files that depends against not existing .la
files. These can be found by looking at links-not-existing-la tag in
aba script output.

I know that the release goal is to remove (almost) all .la files but
shouldn't the severity of the bug filled against these package be
raised?

Cheers

Laurent Bigonville

grep links-not-existing-la current.txt |cut -f1 -d:| dd-list -i

Ying-Chun Liu (PaulLiu) <paulliu@debian.org>
bisho
libsocialweb
mojito
nbtk

J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) <jdassen@debian.org>
gnumeric
goffice

Adam C. Powell
salome (U)

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
shibboleth-sp2 (U)

SZALAY Attila <sasa@debian.org>
zorp

Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org>
libopensync-plugin-gnokii
libopensync-plugin-google-calendar
libopensync-plugin-gpe
libopensync-plugin-irmc
libopensync-plugin-kdepim
libopensync-plugin-opie
libopensync-plugin-palm
libopensync-plugin-python (U)
libopensync-plugin-sunbird

Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org>
ecryptfs-utils (U)

Daniel Baumann <daniel@lists.debian-maintainers.org>
ecryptfs-utils

Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>
vips

A. Maitland Bottoms <bottoms@debian.org>
coolkey

Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de>
ia32-libs (U)

Thierry Carrez <thierry.carrez@ubuntu.com>
axis2c (U)

Michael Casadevall <sonicmctails@gmail.com>
libxfcegui4 (U)

Robert Collins <robertc@robertcollins.net>
libopensync-plugin-gnokii (U)
libopensync-plugin-google-calendar (U)
libopensync-plugin-gpe (U)
libopensync-plugin-irmc (U)
libopensync-plugin-opie (U)
libopensync-plugin-palm (U)
libopensync-plugin-sunbird (U)

Debian GCC Maintainers <debian-gcc@lists.debian.org>
ppl

Debian Hamradio Maintainers <debian-hams@lists.debian.org>
hamlib

Debian ia32-libs Team <pkg-ia32-libs-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
ia32-libs

Debian PhotoTools Maintainers <pkg-phototools-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
libgphoto2

Debian Science Maintainers <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
openturns
salome

Debian Shib Team <pkg-shibboleth-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
shibboleth-sp2

Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
libxfcegui4

Matthieu Delahaye <matthieu@debian.org>
libunwind

Morten Werner Forsbring <werner@debian.org>
sssd (U)

Evgeni Golov <evgeni@debian.org>
libindicate (U)

Chris Grzegorczyk <grze@eucalyptus.com>
axis2c (U)
rampart (U)

Sam Hocevar <sho@debian.org>
libcaca

Simon Huggins <huggie@earth.li>
libxfcegui4 (U)

IV <hazelsct@debian.org>
salome (U)

Matthias Jahn <jahn.matthias@freenet.de>
libopensync-plugin-python

Michael Janssen <jamuraa@debian.org>
stage

Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org>
ia32-libs (U)

Kyo Lee <kyo.lee@eucalyptus.com>
axis2c
rampart

Faidon Liambotis <paravoid@debian.org>
shibboleth-sp2 (U)

Arthur Loiret <aloiret@debian.org>
ppl (U)

Martin Loschwitz <madkiss@debian.org>
libxfcegui4 (U)

Loic Minier <lool@dooz.org>
rpm (U)

Kamal Mostafa <kamal@whence.com>
hamlib (U)

Ryan Niebur <ryanryan52@gmail.com>
libmp3splt

Leonel Nunez <leonel@enelserver.com>
cherokee (U)

Daniel Nurmi <nurmi@eucalyptus.com>
axis2c (U)

Graziano Obertelli <graziano@eucalyptus.com>
axis2c (U)
rampart (U)

Kiwamu Okabe <kiwamu@debian.or.jp>
uim

Alvaro Lopez Ortega <alvaro@gnu.org>
cherokee (U)

Sam Hocevar (Debian packages) <sam+deb@zoy.org>
bse-alsa

David Paleino <dapal@debian.org>
libgphoto2 (U)

Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@debian.org>
libxfcegui4 (U)

Frederic Peters <fpeters@debian.org>
libgphoto2 (U)

Ari Pollak <ari@debian.org>
gimp

Christophe Prud'homme <prudhomm@debian.org>
openturns (U)

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@debian.org>
sssd

Jaime Robles <jaime@debian.org>
hamlib (U)

Emanuele Rocca <ema@debian.org>
libxfcegui4 (U)

Ludovic Rousseau <rousseau@debian.org>
coolkey (U)

Nick Rusnov <nickrusnov@debian.org>
galan

Frederik Schüler <fs@debian.org>
ia32-libs (U)

Gürkan Sengün <gurkan@phys.ethz.ch>
libgphoto2 (U)

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo <jsogo@debian.org>
barry

Roland Stigge <stigge@antcom.de>
pstoedit

Al Stone <ahs3@debian.org>
libunwind (U)

Michael Tautschnig <mt@debian.org>
ppl (U)

The Ayatana Packagers <pkg-ayatana-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
libindicate

Mathieu Trudel <mathieu.tl@gmail.com>
ethos

Ferenc Wagner <wferi@niif.hu>
shibboleth-sp2 (U)

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@debian.org>
cherokee

NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe@fsij.org>
tomoe

James R. Van Zandt <jrv@debian.org>
pspp

Michal Čihař <nijel@debian.org>
rpm

Neil Williams 04-08-2011 02:51 PM

MBF la-file-removal: links-not-existing-la

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 12:39:46 +0200
Laurent Bigonville <bigon@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm happy that somebody did this MBF, it was thinking about doing this
> for a long time but never had the time to really look at it.
>
> Some package have .la files that depends against not existing .la
> files. These can be found by looking at links-not-existing-la tag in
> aba script output.

Let's get the first phase of dependency_libs sorted out and then look
at which ones remain with links-not-existing-la. There's enough to do
right now with just the dependency_libs.

I'm not aware of any actual problems arising from links-not-existing-la
- do you have evidence that such .la files have caused build errors?

Yes, it's untidy to have dangling links but if the .la file is being
cleaned up to remove dependency_libs or removed entirely then the links
will be removed anyway, whether those links exist or not.

> I know that the release goal is to remove (almost) all .la files but
> shouldn't the severity of the bug filled against these package be
> raised?

I see no reason for a severity higher than 'normal'. This Release Goal
is about preventing problems in the future - currently, these packages
build correctly, the fix is trivial and should NMU's be required we
can deal with that later. There are probably quite a few QA packages
which will need attention as a result of this MBF. I'll take a look at
that part of the list after I've completed a few more phases.

Severity ping-pong won't get these bugs fixed any quicker. Despite
appearances, bug severity is not a good predictor of maintainer activity
levels across the entire archive outside of a release freeze.

--

Neil Williams
=============

Peter Samuelson 04-08-2011 04:56 PM

MBF la-file-removal: links-not-existing-la

[Neil Williams]
> I'm not aware of any actual problems arising from links-not-existing-la
> - do you have evidence that such .la files have caused build errors?

Last I checked, this would cause an error if you try to build something
using libtool and it has dangling .la files in its dependency_libs.

What I wonder, though, is if this can be corrected with a simple
binNMU. As a random example:

tidy: depended-on (libopkele)
libopkele: dependency_libs

If the 'tidy' maintainer were to remove /usr/lib/libtidy.la, wait for
tidy to build on all architectures, then ask for a binNMU of libopkele,
I think libtool will then DTRT. However, intentionally making someone
else's package RC buggy for a couple of days might be frowned upon. Is
it a reasonable thing to do in unstable?

--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/

Steve Langasek 04-08-2011 07:05 PM

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 03:51:18PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Some package have .la files that depends against not existing .la
> > files. These can be found by looking at links-not-existing-la tag in
> > aba script output.

> Let's get the first phase of dependency_libs sorted out and then look
> at which ones remain with links-not-existing-la. There's enough to do
> right now with just the dependency_libs.

links-not-existing-la are a strict subset of dependency_libs. It refers to
.la files that have a dependency_libs field that /is currently broken/.

> I'm not aware of any actual problems arising from links-not-existing-la
> - do you have evidence that such .la files have caused build errors?

I think you must have not grokked the meaning of this tag then, because this
is the *core* of the problem with .la files as they exist today and is
precisely *what* causes build failures.

But I don't think we need to treat these separately. Just fix all the
dependency_libs fields at one go rather than worrying about which ones are
the higher priority within that set.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org