-   -   More Vcs-Fields in debian/control? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/511202-more-vcs-fields-debian-control.html)

Bernd Zeimetz 04-07-2011 01:08 PM

More Vcs-Fields in debian/control?

On 04/07/2011 10:11 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata
>
> The key concept is to store ‘Field: value’ data in a file called
> debian/upstream-metadata.yaml, and to access it from the VCS where
> the package is stored (that is, not from the source package itself).

Uh please not yet another file in yet another format.
If you really need yet another file, please don't use yet another markup
language, use something RFC822ish.

http://bzed.de http://www.debian.org
GPG Fingerprints: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F

Jelmer Vernooij 04-07-2011 03:06 PM

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 16:33 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
> > * pristine-tar cannot be used
>
> The assumptions of ‘pristine-tar’ seem very Git-centric and are quite at
> odds with my chosen VCS (Bazaar). It demands a “treeish object”, I have
> no idea what that relates to in Bazaar.
"pristine-tar checkout" is git specific as far as I can tell, but the
other commands are very well usable without git.

bzr-builddeb supports pristine tar and uses it to import and export
upstream tarballs if you have a packaging branch that includes the
upstream source.

Cheers,

Jelmer

Charles Plessy 04-09-2011 02:57 AM

Le Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 03:08:33PM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :
> On 04/07/2011 10:11 AM, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamMetadata
> >
> > The key concept is to store ‘Field: value’ data in a file called
> > debian/upstream-metadata.yaml, and to access it from the VCS where
> > the package is stored (that is, not from the source package itself).
>
> Uh please not yet another file in yet another format.
> If you really need yet another file, please don't use yet another markup
> language, use something RFC822ish.

Hi Bernd,

I think that the format used in Debian control data files only shows
superiority when they consist of multiple paragraphs, in particular when these
are ordered.

For single paragraphs, YAML is actually very similar to Debian's control data
files. The advantage of YAML is the availability of many facilities like
parsers, command-line and on-line validators, and documentation.

YAML is also used in other Debian processes, like for instance some reports
generated by the FTP team. All in all, I do not have the impression that the
use of YAML would cause difficulties to Debian packages maintainers.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,

Andreas Tille 04-09-2011 07:06 PM

On Sat, Apr 09, 2011 at 11:57:58AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> YAML is also used in other Debian processes, like for instance some reports
> generated by the FTP team. All in all, I do not have the impression that the
> use of YAML would cause difficulties to Debian packages maintainers.

The fact that people are rising concerns about the format *now* (after
it is used (and announced) over a year is for me a proof that the pure
existence of this file is widely unknown. If the *format* would be
*really* the only issue why it is that seldomly used we should simply
discuss the format and agree to something which is really used
afterwards. If you just enjoy format discussion and do not intend to
use the file there are better ways to spend someones time.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de

Yaroslav Halchenko 04-20-2011 01:43 AM

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> > No. Simply answer the question: Is this VCS used by derived distros,
> > too? If not, it's Debian only. Two examples: The git repository for
> > apt-mirror is used only for Debian (there's only the master branch). The
> > git repository for vlc is used for Debian and Ubuntu (master branch for
> > Debian sid, squeeze branch for Debian squeeze, ubuntu branch for Ubuntu
> > natty, maverick branch for Ubuntu maverick, and so on).
> And why would we care? We keep track of what we do. Anyone else may use
> it or leave it.

In an ideal world of mine, for any package I maintain I would have
all interesting repositories linked to: upstream, Debian packaging,
popular distribution X, Y, Z packaging etc. This way I could easily
track the software life outside of upstream->Debian pipe so I could
improve "Debian" side by possibly rapidly reacting to bugs/fixes
introduced elsewhere and haven't reached upstream yet, but already
included in X, Y, Z.

So, altogether, the idea of having more than Debian + upstream VCS
fields is sound to me. Approach/Implementation is being discussed
elsewhere in this thread.

Jan Hauke Rahm 04-20-2011 06:49 AM

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 09:43:45PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2011, Jan Hauke Rahm wrote:
> > > No. Simply answer the question: Is this VCS used by derived distros,
> > > too? If not, it's Debian only. Two examples: The git repository for
> > > apt-mirror is used only for Debian (there's only the master branch). The
> > > git repository for vlc is used for Debian and Ubuntu (master branch for
> > > Debian sid, squeeze branch for Debian squeeze, ubuntu branch for Ubuntu
> > > natty, maverick branch for Ubuntu maverick, and so on).
> > And why would we care? We keep track of what we do. Anyone else may use
> > it or leave it.
>
> In an ideal world of mine, for any package I maintain I would have
> all interesting repositories linked to: upstream, Debian packaging,
> popular distribution X, Y, Z packaging etc. This way I could easily
> track the software life outside of upstream->Debian pipe so I could
> improve "Debian" side by possibly rapidly reacting to bugs/fixes
> introduced elsewhere and haven't reached upstream yet, but already
> included in X, Y, Z.

I can only encourage you to do so. Everything (almost :)) that makes
your packages, and thus Debian, better is a good thing.

> So, altogether, the idea of having more than Debian + upstream VCS
> fields is sound to me. Approach/Implementation is being discussed
> elsewhere in this thread.

The problem now is imo that if we (as in Debian) were to put whatever
kind of tracking fields in our packages that relate to "popular"
distributions, we are making a statement. You, as a maintainer, can of
course collect as much information from anywhere, and you have the right
to only collect such from "popular" distributions. I don't think Debian
should do that, though, since Debian would then single out projects as
more worth looking at than others. In our qa infrastructure, we already
acknowledge that Ubuntu has become sort of the biggest derivative of
Debian. That's enough. There are projects (such as vcs-pkg) that try to
make collaboration between distributions easier and I think that's where
we can collect information that can help maintainers. I'd appreciate
action on that part but not in debian/control. (And if any such project
would implement some $clever technique that would allow easy tracking of
what others do, we might consider making use of that in Debian, instead
of changing each and every package once a derivative becomes "popular".)

Hauke

--
.'`. Jan Hauke Rahm <jhr@debian.org> www.jhr-online.de
: :' : Debian Developer www.debian.org