Old 04-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Roger Leigh

Default Please do not use /run yet

Hi,

As of base-files 6.2 which went into unstable yesterday, we have a
new top-level directory, /run.

This directory will contain a tmpfs which will be present from early
boot, and which will replace /var/run. This will be done by
initscripts, which we are waiting to be uploaded. For the time
being, /run is just an empty directory, and it's not guaranteed to
be writable either during early boot, or during normal operation.

In order to make use of, or transition to use /run, packages will be
required to have a versioned dependency on initscripts (>= x), where x
is the initscripts version adding support for /run. This dependency
will ensure that /run is both present *and* usable.

I'm just mentioning this here because udev started to use /run before
we had completed our work, and without a versioned dependency, causing
breakage. If you are planning on using /run, please hold fire for a
few days longer until initscripts is uploaded!

Thanks,
Roger

--
.'`. Roger Leigh

Old 04-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Reinhard Tartler

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 10:54:53 (CEST), Roger Leigh wrote:

> As of base-files 6.2 which went into unstable yesterday, we have a
> new top-level directory, /run.
>
> This directory will contain a tmpfs which will be present from early
> boot, and which will replace /var/run. This will be done by
> initscripts, which we are waiting to be uploaded. For the time
> being, /run is just an empty directory, and it's not guaranteed to
> be writable either during early boot, or during normal operation.

What about adding a lintian warning (error?) for packages that place
files in /run?

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4

Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 AM
Julien Cristau

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:18:32 +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 10:54:53 (CEST), Roger Leigh wrote:
>
> > As of base-files 6.2 which went into unstable yesterday, we have a
> > new top-level directory, /run.
> >
> > This directory will contain a tmpfs which will be present from early
> > boot, and which will replace /var/run. This will be done by
> > initscripts, which we are waiting to be uploaded. For the time
> > being, /run is just an empty directory, and it's not guaranteed to
> > be writable either during early boot, or during normal operation.
>
> What about adding a lintian warning (error?) for packages that place
> files in /run?

How do you catch that? Files in /run wouldn't be part of the packages,
they'd be created at runtime.

Cheers,
Julien

Old 04-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Noel David Torres Taño

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:18:32 +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 10:54:53 (CEST), Roger Leigh wrote:
> > > As of base-files 6.2 which went into unstable yesterday, we have a
> > > new top-level directory, /run.
> > >
> > > This directory will contain a tmpfs which will be present from early
> > > boot, and which will replace /var/run. This will be done by
> > > initscripts, which we are waiting to be uploaded. For the time
> > > being, /run is just an empty directory, and it's not guaranteed to
> > > be writable either during early boot, or during normal operation.
> >
> > What about adding a lintian warning (error?) for packages that place
> > files in /run?
>
> How do you catch that? Files in /run wouldn't be part of the packages,
> they'd be created at runtime.

Precisely Throw an error on all packages placing files in /run

Noel
er Envite

Old 04-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Niels Thykier

Old 04-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Thomas Goirand

On 04/06/2011 04:54 PM, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As of base-files 6.2 which went into unstable yesterday, we have a
> new top-level directory, /run.
>
> This directory will contain a tmpfs which will be present from early
> boot, and which will replace /var/run.

Why this change?

Thomas

Old 04-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Bernd Zeimetz

On 04/06/2011 03:13 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> On 04/06/2011 04:54 PM, Roger Leigh wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As of base-files 6.2 which went into unstable yesterday, we have a
>> new top-level directory, /run.
>>
>> This directory will contain a tmpfs which will be present from early
>> boot, and which will replace /var/run.
>
> Why this change?

20110330152010.GE20813@codelibre.net and following thread.

http://bzed.de http://www.debian.org
GPG Fingerprints: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F

Old 04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Luca Capello

Hi there!

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 10:54:53 +0200, Roger Leigh wrote:
> As of base-files 6.2 which went into unstable yesterday, we have a
> new top-level directory, /run.
>
> This directory will contain a tmpfs which will be present from early
> boot, and which will replace /var/run. This will be done by
> initscripts, which we are waiting to be uploaded.

Maybe a naive question, but given your roadmap, why not upload *first*
iniscripts (which holds the infrastructure necessary for /run to work as
expected) and *then* base-files (which simply add the last piece to the
infrastructure above, i.e. `mkdir /run`)?

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca