Old 04-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Luk Claes

Default Moving bash from essential/required to important?

Hi

bash is not the default system shell anymore. It's now only the default
user shell. As such it is not required for a sysadmin to boot and
install software. Besides that some users would like to get rid of bash
in their environment which is obviously not easily done atm.

The most obvious reason to not degrade bash to Priority: important is
obviously that one needs to declare a dependency on bash when it's used
in a package. Which means quite some packages will need to be changed.

What do others think of moving bash to important (required and important
are part of the base system)?

Cheers

Luk

Old 04-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Sune Vuorela

On 2011-04-04, Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> wrote:
> What do others think of moving bash to important (required and important
> are part of the base system)?

Just to make sure, you are essentially (ha!) talking about dropping
Essential:yes from bash?

/Sune

Old 04-04-2011, 04:13 PM

On Apr 04, Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> wrote:

> The most obvious reason to not degrade bash to Priority: important is
> obviously that one needs to declare a dependency on bash when it's used
> in a package. Which means quite some packages will need to be changed.
This looks like a good enough reason to me to not bother.

--
ciao,
Marco

Old 04-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Julien Cristau

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 18:04:20 +0200, Luk Claes wrote:

> Hi
>
> bash is not the default system shell anymore. It's now only the default
> user shell. As such it is not required for a sysadmin to boot and
> install software. Besides that some users would like to get rid of bash
> in their environment which is obviously not easily done atm.
>
> The most obvious reason to not degrade bash to Priority: important is
> obviously that one needs to declare a dependency on bash when it's used
> in a package. Which means quite some packages will need to be changed.
>
> What do others think of moving bash to important (required and important
> are part of the base system)?

I think it'd be mostly a waste of time.

Cheers,
Julien