FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Dhananjay
 
Default Bug#620808: ITP: payyans -- A python utility to convert between ASCII and Unicode.

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
X-Debbugs-CC: debian-devel@lists.debian.org

An ASCII to unicode conversion utility.

Package name: payyans
Version: latest
Upstream Authors:Santhosh Thottingal, Nishan Naseer, Rajeesh K Nambiar
<santhosh.thottingal@gmail.com, nishan.naseer@gmail.com,
Rajesh Nambiar <rajeeshknambiar@gmail.com>

URL: http://wiki.smc.org.in/Payyans
License: GPL
Description:Payyans is a python program to convert the data written
for ascii fonts in ascii format to the Unicode format.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1301912923.2924.5.camel@dLab">http://lists.debian.org/1301912923.2924.5.camel@dLab
 
Old 04-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Adam Borowski
 
Default Bug#620808: ITP: payyans -- A python utility to convert between ASCII and Unicode.

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 03:58:43PM +0530, Dhananjay wrote:
> An ASCII to unicode conversion utility.
>
> Package name: payyans
> URL: http://wiki.smc.org.in/Payyans
> Description:Payyans is a python program to convert the data written
> for ascii fonts in ascii format to the Unicode format.

Uhm, but Debian already contains an ASCII->Unicode converter. It's called
"cat". There's also an in-place version, /bin/true. This assumes UTF-8,
but other Unicode encodings are not supported in a vast majority of tools
anyway, and iconv can handle them.

What payyans seems to do is converting from some other encoding where for
example the octet 65 (0x41) doesn't mean "A" but "അ", 66 is "ക" and so on.
This is definitely not ASCII; it's about as close to it as to EBCDIC.

--
1KB // Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
// Never attribute to stupidity what can be
// adequately explained by malice.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110404122718.GA23672@angband.pl">http://lists.debian.org/20110404122718.GA23672@angband.pl
 
Old 04-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#620808: ITP: payyans -- A python utility to convert between ASCII and Unicode.

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 02:27:19PM +0200, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 03:58:43PM +0530, Dhananjay wrote:
> > An ASCII to unicode conversion utility.
> >
> > Package name: payyans
> > URL: http://wiki.smc.org.in/Payyans
> > Description:Payyans is a python program to convert the data written
> > for ascii fonts in ascii format to the Unicode format.
>
> Uhm, but Debian already contains an ASCII->Unicode converter. It's called
> "cat". There's also an in-place version, /bin/true. This assumes UTF-8,
> but other Unicode encodings are not supported in a vast majority of tools
> anyway, and iconv can handle them.
>
> What payyans seems to do is converting from some other encoding where for
> example the octet 65 (0x41) doesn't mean "A" but "അ", 66 is "ക" and so on.
> This is definitely not ASCII; it's about as close to it as to EBCDIC.

And we already have the 'iconv' and 'recode' commands to do conversion
between arbitrary character encodings.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
We get into the habit of living before acquiring the habit of thinking.
- Albert Camus


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110404150351.GN2268@decadent.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/20110404150351.GN2268@decadent.org.uk
 
Old 04-05-2011, 01:41 AM
Paul Wise
 
Default Bug#620808: ITP: payyans -- A python utility to convert between ASCII and Unicode.

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> And we already have the 'iconv' and 'recode' commands to do conversion
> between arbitrary character encodings.

These are not character encodings, but specific fonts. See the
khmerconverter ITP for some earlier discussion on this:

http://bugs.debian.org/333331#33

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTinGRsv0cfe6New=GE+x2GeF7fWkDw@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTinGRsv0cfe6New=GE+x2GeF7fWkDw@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 04-05-2011, 02:16 AM
"brian m. carlson"
 
Default Bug#620808: ITP: payyans -- A python utility to convert between ASCII and Unicode.

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 09:41:27AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > And we already have the 'iconv' and 'recode' commands to do conversion
> > between arbitrary character encodings.
>
> These are not character encodings, but specific fonts. See the
> khmerconverter ITP for some earlier discussion on this:

If the same issues apply here, that's fine, but the description is
completely wrong. The fonts in question are not ASCII and calling them
that is simply not correct. The description should clearly state what
the utility does so that people who need it can find it and those
looking for iconv or recode determine that it's not for them.

--
brian m. carlson / brian with sandals: Houston, Texas, US
+1 832 623 2791 | http://www.crustytoothpaste.net/~bmc | My opinion only
OpenPGP: RSA v4 4096b: 88AC E9B2 9196 305B A994 7552 F1BA 225C 0223 B187
 
Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Ben Hutchings
 
Default Bug#620808: ITP: payyans -- A python utility to convert between ASCII and Unicode.

On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 09:41 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > And we already have the 'iconv' and 'recode' commands to do conversion
> > between arbitrary character encodings.
>
> These are not character encodings, but specific fonts. See the
> khmerconverter ITP for some earlier discussion on this:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/333331#33

I was thinking that these are ad hoc character encodings defined on the
basis of specific fonts. (Like Dingbats, for example.)

However, encoding in LTR order even through the script is read RTL
really does seem to make these graphical representations rather than
character encodings.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Once a job is fouled up, anything done to improve it makes it worse.
 
Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 AM
 
Default Bug#620808: ITP: payyans -- A python utility to convert between ASCII and Unicode.

Also note the uni2ascii package.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87oc4ipyyw.fsf@jidanni.org">http://lists.debian.org/87oc4ipyyw.fsf@jidanni.org
 
Old 05-12-2011, 02:25 AM
dhananjay
 
Default Bug#620808: ITP: payyans -- A python utility to convert between ASCII and Unicode.

Sorry about making the mistake and been in silence for a while, it is my first ITP request.

Payyans is written to convert documents prepared in malayalam ( An indic language used in Kerala, India) using ASCII maps to Unicode. Provided with mapping files which informs payyans about the font mappings used, it should work with any indic language to address same problem.

*
On 7 April 2011 08:08, <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:

Also note the uni2ascii package.


*

--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/87oc4ipyyw.fsf@jidanni.org





--
Regards,

Dhananjay.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:34 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org