Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 AM
"Bernhard R. Link"

Default network-manager as default? No! (was: Bits from the Release Team - Kicking off Wheezy)

* Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> [110403 12:57]:
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 02:37:26PM +0400, Stanislav Maslovski wrote:
> > If that happens I will seriously think about moving to another distro
> > (I have been using Debian since around 1999). Or maybe to a *BSD.
>
> You're entitled to choose your own distro. Still, please do not assume
> that this sort of threatening is something useful to drive technical
> decisions in Debian.

Please don't drag this into an insulting contest.

Debian is not about market-share, so losing users is no thread. It is
only an information for us that we no longer helpful to some of our
users.

It might not be the best form to express it, but how may other ways are
there to express: "This change is so bad, that it will outweight all
the other advantages of Debian for those class of users in the same boat
as me"?

Bernhard R. Link

Old 04-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Jon Dowland

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 01:11:15AM +0400, Stanislav Maslovski wrote:
> Why on earth would I do that? It does not match my needs at all. For
> instance, this laptop sometimes connects to a couple of remote LANs
> through VPNs, so that I have to set up routing in a not completely
> trivial manner.

I rarely have to use VPNs myself, but when I do, I find network-manager-pptp
the most reliable way to do so.

--
Jon Dowland

Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Jon Dowland

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 02:11:38PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Installing NM by default will break systems which where running the last
> 12 years without flaws.

No, it will not. It will not impact *running* systems at all. It will only
impact newly installed systems.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Jon Dowland

On Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 02:18:38PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> This is Exacly what I mean with NM. I do not wan to be bothered with
> reading some hours documentations on how to tweek NM to work with my
> four 10GE NICs.

And you wouldn't be - because, once again - you are not forced to use whatever
the default solution is, you have the freedom to switch to another, just like
people who currently *do* use network-manager have taken advantage of.

We are really going around and around with the same set of misconceptions and
misunderstandings. Please carefully read the thread again before re-iterating
any more mistakes!

--
Jon Dowland