Old 04-03-2011, 08:11 AM
martin f krafft

Default network-manager as default? No! (was: Bits from the Release Team - Kicking off Wheezy)

also sprach Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> [2011.04.02.2229 +0200]:
> I wonder what amount of features we are missing for network-manager to
> do the job; instead of rewriting a daemon from scratch, we might as well
> use one that was designed mostly for the same purpose. It’s
> event-driven, it’s extensible, and its features list is already
> impressive. Although it has some bugs remaining to fix, this would also
> be the case of the new implementation.

It was originally designed as a graphical tool, which is like taking
a wrong turn in square one. It has come a long way since then, but
last I checked, for instance, it was not possible to hook up two
network cards with DHCP.

Anyway, netconf is nowhere near and noone seems interested enough to
touch it, so…

But if network-manager would become default and ifupdown an optional
replacement, I would question Debian's capacity to make technically
excellent decisions and wonder, how much we have been dragged along
by "user-friendly distros" and slid off the track.

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info

"it is the mark of an educated mind
to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
-- aristoteles

Old 04-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Stanislav Maslovski

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 10:11:03AM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> But if network-manager would become default and ifupdown an optional
> replacement, I would question Debian's capacity to make technically
> excellent decisions and wonder, how much we have been dragged along
> by "user-friendly distros" and slid off the track.

I agree. If that happens I will seriously think about moving to
another distro (I have been using Debian since around 1999). Or maybe
to a *BSD.

Just for a record: on this _laptop_ the network is configured from
/etc/network/interfaces with extensively used mapping and self-written
scripts; also with wpa_supplicant for wireless and ifplugd to bring up
eth0 and openvpn tunnels when required. Never felt a need to switch to
something like wicd or network-manager.

--
Stanislav