Old 04-01-2011, 07:56 PM
David Lehman

Default New bootloader module

Here's my current version of a new bootloader module to replace booty.

One of the main benefits to the new module is it finally provides some
clarity on the issue of the so-called "boot device". It is now clearly
defined as stage1 device (eg: mbr of a dos disklabel or PReP) and stage2
device (/boot).

I have been testing it in qemu/kvm, but since grub there is broken I can
only verify my work by hand-checking program.log, grub.conf, and device.map.
Given that, it is working well for x86.

You'll notice that a great deal of what made up platform.py has moved
into the bootloader module. That's a work in progress since Platform's
checkFoo methods are doing almost exactly the same checks as BootLoader's
_is_valid_foo methods. The main reason I didn't move it all over is
because I don't want all those error strings. Chris, maybe you can help
me sort that out.

I'm also planning to add a --boot-device argument to pykickstart so that
we can separate the ideas of drive order and boot device.

I am open to the idea of splitting bootloader.py into at least two files if
people think it's too large.

Detection of existing bootloaders for upgrades is not implemented yet.

The BootLoader classes have quite a lot of class/static attributes. I don't
mind it, but I'm somewhat open to splitting some of that out if people think
it's a good idea.

Comments, please.

Here's a diffstat:
b/configure.ac | 1
b/pyanaconda/Makefile.am | 2
b/pyanaconda/__init__.py | 6
b/pyanaconda/bootloader.py | 1823 +++++++++++++++++++++++---
b/pyanaconda/dispatch.py | 1
b/pyanaconda/installclass.py | 5
b/pyanaconda/installclasses/rhel.py | 2
b/pyanaconda/iutil.py | 5
b/pyanaconda/iw/blpasswidget.py | 19
b/pyanaconda/iw/bootloader_main_gui.py | 103 -
b/pyanaconda/iw/cleardisks_gui.py | 7
b/pyanaconda/iw/osbootwidget.py | 163 --
b/pyanaconda/iw/timezone_gui.py | 3
b/pyanaconda/iw/upgrade_bootloader_gui.py | 89 -
b/pyanaconda/iw/zipl_gui.py | 33
b/pyanaconda/kickstart.py | 47
b/pyanaconda/packages.py | 2
b/pyanaconda/platform.py | 521 +------
b/pyanaconda/storage/__init__.py | 33
b/pyanaconda/storage/devices.py | 14
b/pyanaconda/storage/partitioning.py | 30
b/pyanaconda/textw/partition_text.py | 4
b/pyanaconda/textw/timezone_text.py | 6
b/pyanaconda/textw/upgrade_bootloader_text.py | 102 -
b/pyanaconda/textw/zipl_text.py | 52
b/pyanaconda/yuminstall.py | 2
pyanaconda/booty/Makefile.am | 24
pyanaconda/booty/__init__.py | 52
pyanaconda/booty/alpha.py | 140 -
pyanaconda/booty/bootloaderInfo.py | 714 ----------
pyanaconda/booty/checkbootloader.py | 176 --
pyanaconda/booty/ia64.py | 38
pyanaconda/booty/lilo.py | 308 ----
pyanaconda/booty/ppc.py | 184 --
pyanaconda/booty/s390.py | 186 --
pyanaconda/booty/sparc.py | 128 -
pyanaconda/booty/util.py | 9
pyanaconda/booty/x86.py | 562 --------

Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Mark Trompell

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:56 PM, David Lehman <dlehman@redhat.com> wrote:
> Here's my current version of a new bootloader module to replace booty.

> Comments, please.

I haven't looked into the code yet, but how close is this tied to
grub, since we use extlinux in foresight.
We're just in the process of moving our pretty old anaconda to a newer
release, but it would be nice if we could just drop our bootloader
modifications in the future.

--
Mark Trompell

Foresight Linux Xfce Edition
Cause your desktop should be freaking cool
(and Xfce)

Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 PM
David Lehman

On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 08:39 +0200, Mark Trompell wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:56 PM, David Lehman <dlehman@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Here's my current version of a new bootloader module to replace booty.

> > Comments, please.
>
> I haven't looked into the code yet, but how close is this tied to
> grub, since we use extlinux in foresight.
> We're just in the process of moving our pretty old anaconda to a newer
> release, but it would be nice if we could just drop our bootloader
> modifications in the future.

Any new bootloader will require some code to make it work, but this new
module is meant to be easy to extend for new bootloaders.

If you don't want to carry your own bootloader code you have two
anaconda, or 2) use the same bootloader fedora uses.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Mark Trompell

> Any new bootloader will require some code to make it work, but this new
> module is meant to be easy to extend for new bootloaders.

That's good to hear.

> If you don't want to carry your own bootloader code you have two
> anaconda, or 2) use the same bootloader fedora uses.

1) might be easier than 2) since I doubt we can't easily make fedora
move over to use extlinux