Old 04-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Vincent Danjean

Default ifupdown and IPv6

On 31/03/2011 21:15, Andrew O. Shadoura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 00:01:25 +0200
> md@Linux.IT (Marco d'Itri) wrote:
>
>> The problem is with all features implemented by external if-*.d
>> scripts. If e.g. a bridge is created by the first defined afi, the
>> second script will fail. And if it does not fail on up then
>> everything will still break on a down event, when the script run by
>> the first AFI will destroy the interface and ifupdown will be able to
>> remove the IP address of the second AFI.
>
> Can you run into details a bit?

Try to define a setup where you have a bridged interface with IPv4
and IPv6 and you want to up/down separately in any order the IPv4
setup and the IPv6 setup. Is is very difficult to know when the
bridge must be enabled and disabled for example.

Regards,
Vincent

--
Vincent Danjean GPG key ID 0x9D025E87 vdanjean@debian.org
GPG key fingerprint: FC95 08A6 854D DB48 4B9A 8A94 0BF7 7867 9D02 5E87

Old 04-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Bernd Zeimetz

On 03/31/2011 09:15 PM, Andrew O. Shadoura wrote:

>> Bugs were opened long ago,
>
> Could you please give me the numbers?

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=ifupdown;dist=unstable

More than enough to fix.

>> but there is no interest/manpower to fix
>> them (which is not surprising if you have ever looked at the ifupdown
>> source).
>
> Source? It's beautiful, I can say. It's literate. It's well-structured.
>
> Manpower? Here it is [points at himself].

http://bzed.de http://www.debian.org
GPG Fingerprints: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F