Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Michelle Konzack

Default How to add "quilt" to an existing package?

Hello *,

I am working on a bunch of packages and write patches and I know how to
use "quilt" but can someone tell me please, how I have to add quit to an
existing Debian Package which does currently not use quilt but I need it
to make things easier?

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France EURL itsystems@tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de

Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 AM
Paul Wise

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:

> I am working on a bunch of packages and write patches and I know *how to
> use "quilt" but can someone tell me please, how I have to add quit to an
> existing Debian Package which does currently not use quilt but I need it
> to make things easier?

This is more of a question for debian-mentors.

In any case the answers are in maint-guide:

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-modify.en.html#s-quiltrc
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-modify.en.html#s-fixupstream
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dother.en.html#s-sourcef
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dother.en.html#s-patches

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 04-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Goswin von Brederlow

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Michelle Konzack
> <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
>
>> I am working on a bunch of packages and write patches and I know Â*how to
>> use "quilt" but can someone tell me please, how I have to add quit to an
>> existing Debian Package which does currently not use quilt but I need it
>> to make things easier?
>
> This is more of a question for debian-mentors.
>
> In any case the answers are in maint-guide:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-modify.en.html#s-quiltrc
> http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-modify.en.html#s-fixupstream
> http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dother.en.html#s-sourcef
> http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dother.en.html#s-patches

Those give a 404.

Looking up the maint-guide the hard way I see that the quilt part is
also outdated. No mention of 3.0 (quilt) format and outdated use of
QUILT_PATCHES.

So here is a quickstart for switching to 3.0 (quilt):

# Switch to 3.0 (quilt format)
mkdir debian/source
echo '3.0 (quilt)' >debian/source/format

# Initialize quilt setup (avoids having to specify QUILT_PATCHES)
dpkg-buildpackage -S

Now you can simply use quilt. It is that easy.

If your source already has changes compared to upstream then you will
get a line like:

dpkg-source: info: local changes stored in hello-2.6/debian/patches/debian-changes-2.6-1, the modified files are:
hello-2.6/src/hello.c

You should rename the patch to something more suitable and if it
contains multiple changes consider spliting it up.

For those not quite familiar with quilt here is another quickstart for
how to create a new patch:

Say you have downloaded and unpacked a source package using 3.0 (quilt)
format. Now how to create new patch? You can do it via quilt, create a
new patch, add the files to the patch before editing them, etc... But
lets take the much simpler road:

# Do your changes
sensible-editor file1 file2 file3

# Build package as often as needed to get it right
dpkg-buildpackage

# Make things tidy: Use proper name for patch and fill in header
quilt rename foo-patch
quilt header -e

Now you can attach debian/patches/foo-patch to your bugreport or (as
maintainer) upload a new package with it and maybe send it upstream.

Enjoy,
Goswin

Old 04-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Paul Wise

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> wrote:

> Those give a 404.

Hmm, pretty sure they worked when I sent the mail. Here are the current ones:

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/modify.en.html#quiltrc
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/modify.en.html#fixupstream
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/dother.en.html#sourcef
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/dother.en.html#patches

> Looking up the maint-guide the hard way I see that the quilt part is
> also outdated. No mention of 3.0 (quilt) format and outdated use of
> QUILT_PATCHES.

You are probably looking at an old version, it definitely mentions
3.0. Please file a bug if it mentions wrong use of QUILT_PATCHES.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Goswin,

> > http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-modify.en.html#s-quiltrc
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-modify.en.html#s-fixupstream
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dother.en.html#s-sourcef
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dother.en.html#s-patches
>
> Those give a 404.

Oops, for 2 days it was working...

> Looking up the maint-guide the hard way I see that the quilt part is
> also outdated.

Maybe someone has encountered this problem and removed the "maint-guide"

> No mention of 3.0 (quilt) format and outdated use of
> QUILT_PATCHES.
>

> So here is a quickstart for switching to 3.0 (quilt):
>
> # Switch to 3.0 (quilt format)
> mkdir debian/source
> echo '3.0 (quilt)' >debian/source/format
>
> # Initialize quilt setup (avoids having to specify QUILT_PATCHES)
> dpkg-buildpackage -S
>
> Now you can simply use quilt. It is that easy.
>
> If your source already has changes compared to upstream then you will
> get a line like:
>
> dpkg-source: info: local changes stored in hello-2.6/debian/patches/debian-changes-2.6-1, the modified files are:
> hello-2.6/src/hello.c
>
> You should rename the patch to something more suitable and if it
> contains multiple changes consider spliting it up.

OK, done. Was easier then I was thinking

Note: The "maint-guide" should add a note, on HOW-TO-ADD quilt
to debian/rules. I have done all steps mentioned on
http://wiki.debian.org/UsingQuilt and it was not working.
I found the hint in another package which was using quilt

include /usr/share/quilt/quilt.make

build-stamp: patch
^^^^^
clean: unpatch
^^^^^^^
because without patch/unpatch it wont work. :-/

> Enjoy,
> Goswin

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France EURL itsystems@tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
ICQ #328449886

Old 04-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Paul Wise,

> > Looking up the maint-guide the hard way I see that the quilt part is
> > also outdated. No mention of 3.0 (quilt) format and outdated use of
> > QUILT_PATCHES.
>
> You are probably looking at an old version, it definitely mentions
> 3.0. Please file a bug if it mentions wrong use of QUILT_PATCHES.

The the page on <http://wiki.debian.org/UsingQuilt> should be updated
too, right?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Goswin von Brederlow

Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> writes:

> Note: The "maint-guide" should add a note, on HOW-TO-ADD quilt
> to debian/rules. I have done all steps mentioned on
> http://wiki.debian.org/UsingQuilt and it was not working.
> I found the hint in another package which was using quilt
>
> include /usr/share/quilt/quilt.make
>
> build-stamp: patch
> ^^^^^
> clean: unpatch
> ^^^^^^^
> because without patch/unpatch it wont work. :-/

That is not need as dpkg already does this for 3.0 (quilt) format.

The only advantage of this double use of quilt is that on clean patches
are poped. Dpkg by default leaves patches applied (which is nicer to
work with). When maintaining sources in an RCS some people find
unapplied patches better and might prefer calling unpatch in clean.

The same effect can also be achieved by putting "unapply-patches" into
debian/source/local-options and avoids problems with unpatch being run
before the upstream $(MAKE) clean.

MfG
Goswin

Old 04-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 04:19:54PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello Goswin,
>
> Am 2011-04-03 13:36:00, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
> > > http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-modify.en.html#s-quiltrc
> > > http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-modify.en.html#s-fixupstream
> > > http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dother.en.html#s-sourcef
> > > http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/ch-dother.en.html#s-patches
> >
> > Those give a 404.
>
> Oops, for 2 days it was working...

I have just converted maint-guide to DocBook XML. Just like
developers-reference case, there are some URL changes associated with
this migration. If you find any external site with deep linking, please
ask them to change URL.

New URLs:

http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/index.en.html (this is the same)
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/modify.en.html#quiltrc
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/modify.en.html#fixupstream
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/dother.en.html#sourcef
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/dother.en.html#patches

I am focusing on dh V7 style here. So I am not going into CDBS.

As for VCS friendly 3.0 quilt package, see
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/dother.en.html#sourcef
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/dother.en.html#sourcel

Osamu

Old 04-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Bastien ROUCARIES

Hi,

If you use git gitpkg with hook is really nice.

Bastien

Old 04-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Osamu Aoki,

> I have just converted maint-guide to DocBook XML. Just like
> developers-reference case, there are some URL changes associated with
> this migration. If you find any external site with deep linking, please
> ask them to change URL.

Thank you for the update.

Have a nice Weekend and many Easter-Eggs!