Old 03-31-2011, 01:33 PM
Samuel Thibault

Default Dropping HAL?

Cc-ing debian-bsd, else they may simply not be aware of the thread...

Michael Biebl, le Thu 31 Mar 2011 14:30:06 +0200, a écrit :
> Am 31.03.2011 07:26, schrieb Reinhard Tartler:
> > On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 19:51:17 (CEST), Michael Biebl wrote:
> >
> >> HAL removal is already in progress, see [1]. Actually I've been working on that
> >> for some time already. I wouldn't object obviously making that a release goal.
> >
> > How well does kFreeBSD cope with HAL gone missing? AFAIUI udev isn't
> > available there.
>
> I ran apt-cache rdepends on an up-to-date kfreebsd sid VM.
> Attached are the rdeps for libhal1, libhal-storage1 and hal.
>
> As you can see, xserver-xorg still uses hal on kfreebsd, but iirc KiBi did some
> work in that regard.

AFAIK, it was agreed that hal is needed for now. FreeBSD's devd should
be a long-term replacement.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Cyril Brulebois

Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> (31/03/2011):
> Michael Biebl, le Thu 31 Mar 2011 14:30:06 +0200, a écrit :
> > As you can see, xserver-xorg still uses hal on kfreebsd, but iirc
> > KiBi did some work in that regard.
>
> AFAIK, it was agreed that hal is needed for now. FreeBSD's devd
> should be a long-term replacement.

That it stalled for now. Need to check with xorg developers whether
doing book keeping in the server (rather than in a separate daemon,
which indeed sounds bad) would be appropriate. Last activity is
Guillem's suggestion, as mentioned on [1].

1. http://blog.ikibiki.org/2011/02/21/DXN-6/

KiBi.