Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 AM
"Wesley W. Terpstra"

Default mlton any->all package transition breakage

Good afternoon.

I am the maintainer for the Standard ML 97 (SML) compiler mlton. This compiler is itself written in SML and is self-hosting. Thus, it needs an older version of the compiler in order to bootstrap itself. Further complicating things, the build needs in the ballpark of 1-2GB of physical memory for 32-64-bit architectures, otherwise the build will cause the host machine to swap-till-death. Over the years I have slowly increased the number of supported architectures in debian via a combination of cross-compilation and binary uploads. At the moment, every major debian architecture is supported.

Recently I had to prepare a new upload due to the gmp transition and took the opportunity now that squeeze is released to split out the arch-independent components of this monolithic package. Unfortunately, this had unforeseen consequences on the buildd system. The problem is that the old 'any' package (20100608-2) got removed from unstable before the new package's (20100608-3) buildd runs completed; only the amd64 buildd was fast enough. I am not entirely clear on the cause, but the consequence is clear enough: the buildds can no longer install the old version of mlton needed to bootstrap the new version.

It has been proposed to me to manually rebuild the package on every debian architecture and then binary upload the result. To that end, I request installation in a sid chroot these packages from unstable: libgmp-dev htmldoc texlive-latex-base procps debhelper cdbs quilt joe. Additionally, please install from squeeze (should still install cleanly in sid chroot) the package: mlton.

I request the above packages to be installed on these machines:
albeniz.debian.org***** alpha********** 8g***** y
abel.debian.org******** armel********** 1.5g*** y

merulo.debian.org****** ia64*********** 8g***** y
asdfasdf.debian.net**** kfreebsd-amd64* 2g***** y****** admin@asdfasdf.debian.net

io.debian.net********** kfreebsd-i386** 1.5g*** y****** admin@io.debian.net
gabrielli.debian.org*** mips*********** 1.6g*** y

zelenka.debian.org***** s390*********** 1g***** y
smetana.debian.org***** sparc********** 2g***** y

Unfortunately, a look over the currently available porterboxes shows that not every architecture can be fixed this way: paer does not have a sid chroot, strauss has insufficient memory, mipsel has no porterbox at all, and pescetti has insufficient memory. This means that I cannot rebuild the package for: hppa, hurd-i386, mipsel, powerpc. The available buildd machines *can* rebuild the package on these architectures, but will not do so as long as the old version is missing from unstable.

I believe strauss has configurable main memory. If it could be temporarily given 1.5G, then that would solve hurd-i386.
Would it be possible to get a sid dchroot setup on paer? If yes, that's another architecture fixed.

I am looking for a solution to this build problem for mipsel and powerpc. If the old mlton 'any' package (still in squeeze) were re-added to unstable, that would work (and also render the above package installation requests unnecessary). I'm open to any other suggestions.

One option I have considered: by-hand, rip the contents out of the old mlton 'any' package and rebundle the old contents as the "new version" and do a binary upload. This way I could get packages for powerpc and mipsel that would work to properly bootstrap a new upload on the buildds. This is a pretty nasty hack and would mean that the sources do not match the binaries for this one uploaded version, but this might be acceptable as a transitionary step...?

Any help appreciated!

PS. I could not determine which mailing list is haunted by the ftp-masters. If debian-admin is wrong, please forward it.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Julien Cristau

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 10:29:10 +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:

> PS. I could not determine which mailing list is haunted by the ftp-masters.
> If debian-admin is wrong, please forward it.

http://www.debian.org/intro/organization#distribution

Cheers,
Julien

Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Peter Palfrader

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:

> I request the above packages to be installed on these machines:
> albeniz.debian.org alpha 8g y
> abel.debian.org armel 1.5g y
> merulo.debian.org ia64 8g y
> asdfasdf.debian.net kfreebsd-amd64 2g y
> admin@asdfasdf.debian.net
> io.debian.net kfreebsd-i386 1.5g y admin@io.debian.net
> gabrielli.debian.org mips 1.6g y
> zelenka.debian.org s390 1g y
> smetana.debian.org sparc 2g y

> I am looking for a solution to this build problem for mipsel and powerpc. If
> the old mlton 'any' package (still in squeeze) were re-added to unstable,
> that would work (and also render the above package installation requests
> unnecessary). I'm open to any other suggestions.

There is no squeeze on alpha, so there is no mlton package in squeeze on
alpha.

merulo's apt-get in sid now segfaults on apt-get update, after having
read the squeeze packages list once. Nothing brings it back to live.

all the other chroots are now fucked because we did as you asked, and
for some reason it wants to bring in mlton-doc:

| The following NEW packages will be installed:
| mlton-doc
| The following packages have been kept back:
| mlton
| 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
| Need to get 3531 kB of archives.
| After this operation, 7926 kB of additional disk space will be used.
| Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sid/main mlton-doc sparc 20100608-3 [3531 kB]
| Fetched 3531 kB in 5s (613 kB/s)
| debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed
| Selecting previously deselected package mlton-doc.
| (Reading database ... 141241 files and directories currently installed.)
| Unpacking mlton-doc (from .../mlton-doc_20100608-3_sparc.deb) ...
| dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/mlton-doc_20100608-3_sparc.deb (--unpack):
| trying to overwrite '/usr/share/doc-base/mlton', which is also in package mlton 20100608-2
| configured to not write apport reports
| dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

I think we won't be doing anything like that again any time soon.

> PS. I could not determine which mailing list is haunted by the ftp-masters.

ftpmaster can be reached at ftpmaster@d.o. debian-admin is debian
admin (aka DSA).

> If debian-admin is wrong, please forward it.

no.
--
| .'`. ** Debian **
Peter Palfrader | : :' : The universal
http://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `' Operating System

Old 04-01-2011, 08:03 PM
"Wesley W. Terpstra"

all the other chroots are now fucked because we did as you asked, and
for some reason it wants to bring in mlton-doc
The problem there is you're trying to install and/or upgrade the sid one, not the squeeze one.*

I think we won't be doing anything like that again any time soon.
Feel free to purge whatever mlton package you have installed.
I've been fairly successful building the package from installing the .debs in my home directory.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Peter Palfrader

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > all the other chroots are now fucked because we did as you asked, and
> > for some reason it wants to bring in mlton-doc
>

> The problem there is you're trying to install and/or upgrade the sid one,
> not the squeeze one.

No, the squeeze package installed cleanly. now apt-get update &&
upgrade breaks. That means the package is buggy.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 PM
"Wesley W. Terpstra"

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org> wrote:

> The problem there is you're trying to install and/or upgrade the sid one,

> not the squeeze one.

No, the squeeze package installed cleanly. *now apt-get update &&

upgrade breaks. *That means the package is buggy.

Yes, I know it's buggy. That's why I'm trying to fix it.
It is missing a replaces/breaks, which leads to upgrade problems.
However, before I can upload a new version that fixes that, I need to get a working bootstrap version that the buildd will actually install.