Old 03-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Luk Claes

Default Bits from the Release Team - Kicking off Wheezy

Hi

Below an update of the release goals I advocated and some thoughts on
others.

> Release Goals
> -------------
> As a first step towards establishing release goals for wheezy, we will
be reviewing
> each of the goals which we had for squeeze [RDO:SGoals] to see which
have been achieved and which
> may no longer be relevant for other reasons.
>
> If you are listed as the proponent for a goal in the above list,
please feel free to
> provide a status update on progress towards completing it and whether
you believe it is
> relevant for the wheezy cycle. You can also e-mail us to propose a
new goal, including
> a description of the goal and an indication of how progress on the
issues may be tracked
> (e.g. a pointer to a set of appropriate user-tagged bugs).

# bootperformance
Advocate: Petter Reinholdsen and Luk Claes
State: confirmed
Wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/BootPerformance

The main part of this goal was achieved, though there are some possible
improvements both regarding boot reliability and boot performance that
could still be aimed for.

Regarding reliability I'm doing some work regarding NFS, though one of
the main outstanding issues is the race between availability of the
network devices and the end of the network init script AFAICS. It would
also not be a bad idea to have a discussion on whether the default init
system should change to one that is more suitable to guarantee the
reliability of the boot like upstart or systemd.

Regarding boot performance there is quite some work done by Ubuntu in
different packages, so maybe it would not be bad to have a look at how
Ubuntu and Debian could get more in sync on that.

# package quality
Advocate: Holger Levsen and Luk Claes
State: confirmed
Wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/PackagesQuality

This is a never ending goal of sustaining our packages quality by
improving our tests and following up closely... so needless to say that
I would still advocate this one.

# remove obsolete libraries
Advocate: Barry deFreese and Luk Claes
State: confirmed
Wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/RemoveOldLibs

This worked quite well and should continue so we can get rid of obsolete
libraries IMHO. One of the main candidates are the old db libraries,
though there are also still some old gnome libraries and without doubt
others.

> We're also after new goals! I know that expressions of interest in
multiarch and
> tdebs have already been indicated, but if you have something you would
want to
> see happen for Wheezy, please let us know. The release team itself will be
> suggesting some as part of the review above.

I'm definitely in favour of having multiarch finally happen!

For the IPv6 and LFS legacy release goals I think it would be best if we
would welcome massive (automatic?) tests to find all of the outstanding
issues and get them fixed finally!

I would welcome a review of essential, required and standard though I
don't know if many would welcome such an initiative which could
potentially have quite some impact without much visible gain. Anyway
it's something which should happen in the beginning of the cycle (after
a discussion with both the involved maintainers as well as the
developers body at large) or not at all IMHO.

Cheers

Luk

Old 03-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le mercredi 30 mars 2011 * 19:21 +0200, Luk Claes a écrit :
> # remove obsolete libraries
> Advocate: Barry deFreese and Luk Claes
> State: confirmed
> Wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/RemoveOldLibs
>
> This worked quite well and should continue so we can get rid of obsolete
> libraries IMHO. One of the main candidates are the old db libraries,
> though there are also still some old gnome libraries and without doubt
> others.

I fully support this, and I’d like indeed to remove some more obsolete
libraries for wheezy. We should start with HAL and gnome-vfs, which are
big things. Along the way I’d like to get rid of the least used GTK2
libraries in favor of their GTK3 counterpart.

--
.'`.
: :' : “You would need to ask a lawyer if you don't know

Old 03-30-2011, 05:41 PM
Michael Tautschnig

Hi all,

[...]

> # package quality
> Advocate: Holger Levsen and Luk Claes
> State: confirmed
> Wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/PackagesQuality
>
> This is a never ending goal of sustaining our packages quality by
> improving our tests and following up closely... so needless to say that
> I would still advocate this one.

[...]

I would advocate the idea behind this goal as well, yet I think as-is this isn't
a very useful goal: how would we ever measure its achievement? To this end, I
think, we need to give a much more precise definition of how we intend to
measure "quality". For instance, we could fix lintian version x.y.z and state
that we want to have 0 errors at the time of release. Similarly for piuparts. Or
a bugs per package ratio. All of these are measurable and can be checked for,
although of course they only give a very limited notion of "quality".

Best regards,
Michael