Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Joachim Wiedorn

Default Support for SMACK security framework

Hello,

since kernel 2.6.25 SMACK is inside the official kernel as alternative to
the large SELinux framework. But until now there are no userspace tools
packaged in Debian to administrate SMACK. And also there are no additional
patches made for system tools (coreutils, ssh, busybox ...).

How is the opinion about support for this alternative security framework?

Were this theme discussed in the past for Debian?

Does some Debian developer want to add userspace support into Debian?

Does anybody know reason against support of SMACK?

By the way:
The main (upstream) developer Casey Schaufler <casey@schaufler-ca.com>
has switched his work to MeeGo (http://www.meego.com) where some packages
for SMACK are in current development.

---
Have a nice day.

Joachim (Germany)

Old 03-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Russell Coker

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Joachim Wiedorn <ad_debian@joonet.de> wrote:
> How is the opinion about support for this alternative security framework?

I think it would be good to have it.

> Were this theme discussed in the past for Debian?

Not AFAIK.

> Does some Debian developer want to add userspace support into Debian?

Why don't you do it?

> Does anybody know reason against support of SMACK?

No-one has been interested in doing the coding.

--
My Main Blog http://etbe.coker.com.au/
My Documents Blog http://doc.coker.com.au/

Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 PM
Joachim Wiedorn

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote on 2011-03-30 22:45:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Joachim Wiedorn <ad_debian@joonet.de> wrote:
> > How is the opinion about support for this alternative security framework?
>
> I think it would be good to have it.

O.k.

> > Does some Debian developer want to add userspace support into Debian?
>
> Why don't you do it?

That's an idea. But my know-how is not very great in security frameworks.
Especially someone who know SELinux would be a good reference.

> No-one has been interested in doing the coding.

I think the support is very poor in Debian until now. Therefore nobody will
install and test this new framework and stay with SELinux - right?

---
Have a nice day.

Joachim (Germany)

Old 03-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Russell Coker

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Joachim Wiedorn <ad_debian@joonet.de> wrote:
> > > Does some Debian developer want to add userspace support into Debian?
> >
> > Why don't you do it?
>
> That's an idea. But my know-how is not very great in security frameworks.
> Especially someone who know SELinux would be a good reference.

If you need some tips then I will be happy to offer some. I can also host
some developer resources if you need it (we can discuss that off-list).

But you really have to just do it. I didn't know much about "security
frameworks" before I started working on SE Linux.

> > No-one has been interested in doing the coding.
>
> I think the support is very poor in Debian until now. Therefore nobody will
> install and test this new framework and stay with SELinux - right?

As SE Linux has significantly less than 50% user-share in Debian that leaves
plenty of scope for you to find some SMACK users. :-#

Old 04-01-2011, 06:27 AM
"Christian Pohl"

Joachim Wiedorn wrote:
> Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote on 2011-03-30 22:45:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Joachim Wiedorn <ad_debian@joonet.de> wrote:
>> > How is the opinion about support for this alternative security
>> framework?
>>
>> I think it would be good to have it.
>
> O.k.

I never tried it, but I also think it would be good to have it.

> I think the support is very poor in Debian until now. Therefore nobody
> will
> install and test this new framework and stay with SELinux - right?

I would help you with installing and testing and ....

Chris

--
Christian Pohl
whp@pohlcity.de

Old 04-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Joachim Wiedorn

Hello Russell and Christian,

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote on 2011-04-01 10:19:

> If you need some tips then I will be happy to offer some. I can also host
> some developer resources if you need it (we can discuss that off-list).

Thank you for your offer for tips and resources.

> But you really have to just do it. I didn't know much about "security
> frameworks" before I started working on SE Linux.

So it seems I have chances to learn it, too.

> As SE Linux has significantly less than 50% user-share in Debian that leaves
> plenty of scope for you to find some SMACK users. :-#

That is my thought, too.

"Christian Pohl" <whp@pohlcity.de> wrote on 2011-04-01 08:27:

> I would help you with installing and testing and ....

Thank you for your offer.

Then I want to start with maintainance of smack utilities.
Thank you very much for your feedback!

---
Have a nice day.

Joachim (Germany)

Old 06-16-2011, 01:48 PM
franck

Hello I want to try it for lxc containers...