Old 03-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Steve Langasek

Default e2fsprogs as Essential: yes?

Hi folks,

Currently the e2fsprogs package is marked Essential: yes in the archive. Is
this a historical holdover? I believe e2fsprogs used to ship /sbin/fsck,
but since 2009 (i.e., util-linux (>= 2.15~rc1-1), which e2fsprogs has a
pre-depends on), this has been provided by util-linux instead.

The remaining programs provided by e2fsprogs are all specific to the ext*
family of filesystems, so I don't think meet the definition of Essential any
longer - their presence is certainly important if you have an ext[234]
filesystem, but while this is the default, you can have systems that don't
use ext* at all, which makes e2fsprogs no more essential in nature than the
other per-filesystem fsck tools.

Now that the transition to util-linux is done in a stable release, is it
time for us to drop the Essential: yes flag from e2fsprogs? This will
benefit those targetting embedded systems that don't use ext, where the
package will be dead weight; the risk of any packages assuming availability
of these e2fs-specific interfaces without a dependency is quite low; and
we're at the right point in the cycle to make changes to the Essential set,
where we have time to deal with any unexpected fallout.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 03-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Mark Hymers

On Sat, 26, Mar, 2011 at 11:47:08AM -0700, Steve Langasek spoke thus..
> Hi folks,
>
> Currently the e2fsprogs package is marked Essential: yes in the archive. Is
> this a historical holdover? I believe e2fsprogs used to ship /sbin/fsck,
> but since 2009 (i.e., util-linux (>= 2.15~rc1-1), which e2fsprogs has a
> pre-depends on), this has been provided by util-linux instead.

Hi,

The only other thing I can see is that e2fsprogs contains lsattr and
chattr - a quick grep through my local /var/lib/dpkg/info shows that
chattr is used in the postfix postinst without an explicit dependency.
I wonder if there are more instances of that?

Mark

--
Mark Hymers <mhy at debian dot org>

"But Yossarian *still* didn't understand either how Milo could buy eggs
in Malta for seven cents apiece and sell them at a profit in Pianosa
for five cents."
Catch 22, Joseph Heller

Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Ted Ts'o

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 10:42:09PM +0000, Mark Hymers wrote:

> The only other thing I can see is that e2fsprogs contains lsattr and
> chattr - a quick grep through my local /var/lib/dpkg/info shows that
> chattr is used in the postfix postinst without an explicit dependency.
> I wonder if there are more instances of that?

What to do with lsattr and chattr is actually a somewhat interesting
question. They are most definitely ext2/3/4 specific, and the
ext2/3/4 development team still adds new flags to it from time to
time, so we had no plans moving those two commands out of e2fsprogs
any time soon. On the other hand, other file systems, including
reiserfs and btrfs, have used the same ioctl and command line
interface, and we do coordinate flags to prevent conflicts. So other
users of other file systems will still need lsattr and chattr.

There are similar, although less serious, issues with filefrag -v
(which will work on other file systems), but which also has some
ext2/3/4 specific code it in.

Another binary which is used by other packages includes the logsave
utility, which is also in e2fsprogs, and which is used by
/etc/init.d/checkfs.sh and /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh in the initscripts
package.

Regards,

- Ted