Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Steve McIntyre

Default MBF alert: packages with very long source / .deb filenames

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 03:50:32PM +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 02:17:06PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> Debian LibreOffice Maintainers <debian-openoffice@lists.debian.org>
>> openoffice.org
>
>Dead. Any anything there is just transitional packages you need tor
>squeeze->wheezy upgrades, so need to stay. Is libreoffice also affected?
>From your list it appears not...

The longest is:

libreoffice-presentation-minimizer_1.0.3+LibO3.3.1-1_kfreebsd-amd64.deb

at 71.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com
"C++ ate my sanity" -- Jon Rabone

Old 03-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Olaf van der Spek

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
> users. The problem is that Joliet has a limit for filename length (64
> characters), and technically we're already past that length. From
> genisoimage.1:

64 is quite low. Is there no way to use longer filenames that still
works on all required platforms?

Olaf

Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Joey Hess

Steve McIntyre wrote:
> I've noticed a problem recently in the archive when building CDs,
> aggravated to a certain extent by the newer source formats. Some of
> the filenames in the archive are getting *very* long, and this is
> causing issues. As a matter of course, we build CDs with RockRidge and
> Joliet support so that we have long filenames for Linux and Windows
> users.

What is the use case for accessing long filenames from the CD in
Windows? The files needed by win32-loader need to be
accessible, and documentation too, but it should not matter if
deb files cannot be looked up from within Windows.

If these files could be dealt with, using Rock Ridge alone would be an
alternative to consider:

/README.html
/README.mirrors.html
/README.mirrors.txt
/README.source
/win32-loader.ini
/css/debinstall-print.css
/css/debinstall.css
/doc/bug-log-access.txt
/doc/bug-log-mailserver.txt
/doc/bug-mailserver-refcard.txt
/doc/bug-maint-info.txt
/doc/bug-maint-mailcontrol.txt
/doc/bug-reporting.txt
/doc/constitution.txt
/doc/debian-manifesto
/doc/dedication
/doc/mailing-lists.txt
/doc/social-contract.txt
/doc/source-unpack.txt
/pics/blue-lowerleft.png
/pics/blue-lowerright.png
/pics/blue-upperleft.png
/pics/blue-upperright.png
/pics/debian-61.png
/pics/logo-50.jpg
/pics/openlogo-nd-50.png
/pics/red-lowerleft.png
/pics/red-lowerright.png
/pics/red-upperleft.png
/pics/red-upperright.png
/doc/FAQ/debian-faq.en.html.tar.gz
/doc/FAQ/debian-faq.en.pdf.gz
/doc/FAQ/debian-faq.en.ps.gz
/doc/FAQ/debian-faq.en.txt.gz

Is it possible to provide Joliet filenames for only a subset of files?

--
see shy jo

Old 03-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Steve McIntyre

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 11:52:35AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
>Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> I've noticed a problem recently in the archive when building CDs,
>> aggravated to a certain extent by the newer source formats. Some of
>> the filenames in the archive are getting *very* long, and this is
>> causing issues. As a matter of course, we build CDs with RockRidge and
>> Joliet support so that we have long filenames for Linux and Windows
>> users.
>
>What is the use case for accessing long filenames from the CD in
>Windows? The files needed by win32-loader need to be
>accessible, and documentation too, but it should not matter if
>deb files cannot be looked up from within Windows.

There are uses I've heard about, including (apparently quite common)
using CDs and DVDs to seed a mirror on a Windows server.

>Is it possible to provide Joliet filenames for only a subset of files?

It is, yes. But not something I'd like to do if we can avoid it.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com
You lock the door

Old 03-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Steve McIntyre

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 04:48:12PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>> users. The problem is that Joliet has a limit for filename length (64
>> characters), and technically we're already past that length. From
>> genisoimage.1:
>
>64 is quite low. Is there no way to use longer filenames that still
>works on all required platforms?

To do that, we'll have to switch to a different filesystem. That's a
possibility (maybe UDF), but there's probably even more of a chance of
compatibility problems then.

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com
Into the distance, a ribbon of black

Old 03-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Rene Engelhard

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 03:27:57PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> The longest is:
>
> libreoffice-presentation-minimizer_1.0.3+LibO3.3.1-1_kfreebsd-amd64.deb
>
> at 71.

Good, then any bug against openoffice.org is not needed, as that obviously
will be + wontfix wheezy-ignore, because it simply can't be fixed as we need
the transitional packages

Grüße/Regards,

René

Old 03-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Olaf van der Spek

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>>64 is quite low. Is there no way to use longer filenames that still
>>works on all required platforms?
>
> To do that, we'll have to switch to a different filesystem. That's a
> possibility (maybe UDF), but there's probably even more of a chance of
> compatibility problems then.

Why's that? Isn't UDF widely supported?

--
Olaf

Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Steve McIntyre

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 05:13:03PM +0100, Olaf van der Spek wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>>>64 is quite low. Is there no way to use longer filenames that still
>>>works on all required platforms?
>>
>> To do that, we'll have to switch to a different filesystem. That's a
>> possibility (maybe UDF), but there's probably even more of a chance of
>> compatibility problems then.
>
>Why's that? Isn't UDF widely supported?

Implementations often widely differ in their limitations - see the
Wikipedia page for more details. The suggested way to make a safe UDF
DVD is often along the lines of "use the ISO9660 bridge format". :-(

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com
Is there anybody out there?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Joey Hess

Steve McIntyre wrote:
> There are uses I've heard about, including (apparently quite common)
> using CDs and DVDs to seed a mirror on a Windows server.

If I had to chose between that working, and not needing to worry about
filename lengths, I'd choose the latter.

> >Is it possible to provide Joliet filenames for only a subset of files?
>
> It is, yes. But not something I'd like to do if we can avoid it.

One approach then would be to omit joliet filenames for the few long
packages. This would not even impact your use case above much, since
any mirror seeded from files from CDs needs a further sync step.

--
see shy jo

Old 03-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Olaf van der Spek

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>>Why's that? Isn't UDF widely supported?
>
> Implementations often widely differ in their limitations - see the
> Wikipedia page for more details. The suggested way to make a safe UDF
> DVD is often along the lines of "use the ISO9660 bridge format". :-(

That's not our problem, is it?

--
Olaf