Old 03-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Steve McIntyre

Default MBF alert: packages with very long source / .deb filenames

Hey folks,

I've noticed a problem recently in the archive when building CDs,
aggravated to a certain extent by the newer source formats. Some of
the filenames in the archive are getting *very* long, and this is
causing issues. As a matter of course, we build CDs with RockRidge and
Joliet support so that we have long filenames for Linux and Windows
users. The problem is that Joliet has a limit for filename length (64
characters), and technically we're already past that length. From
genisoimage.1:

-joliet-long
Allow Joliet filenames to be up to 103 Unicode characters,
instead of 64. This breaks the Joliet specification, but appears
to work. Use with caution.

I've been using -joliet-long as an option to the CD build scripts for
a while without any noticeable issues, however we may be able to hit a
brick wall. There are a few packages that are close to the (already
over-spec) limit now, and if (for example) we end up with a security
upload which adds a few characters to the filename then these files
simply will not fit on our CDs any more.

Therefore, I'm proposing a maximum limit of 80 characters on uploaded
source / deb files to give us some headroom. With help from a friendly
local ftpmaster, I've found the following packages that are currently
over that limit (with a run through dd-list):

Ying-Chun Liu (PaulLiu) <paulliu@debian.org>
libomxil-bellagio

Nicholas Bamber <nicholas@periapt.co.uk>
libcgi-application-plugin-authorization-perl (U)

Debian Firebird Group <pkg-firebird-general@lists.alioth.debian.org>
firebird2.5

Debian LibreOffice Maintainers <debian-openoffice@lists.debian.org>
openoffice.org

Debian Perl Group <pkg-perl-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
libcgi-application-plugin-authorization-perl

Debian X Strike Force <debian-x@lists.debian.org>
compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported

Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org>
openoffice.org (U)

Sean Finney <seanius@debian.org>
compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported (U)

Damyan Ivanov <dmn@debian.org>
firebird2.5 (U)

Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>
libcgi-application-basic-plugin-bundle-perl
libcgi-application-plugin-authorization-perl (U)

If we really want to meet the spec, we should be aiming for < 64
characters, but that affects 98 packages and I'm not *too* bothered
about it since testing shows no issues thus far. I'm tempted to file:

* serious bugs on the packages over 90 characters
* normal bugs on those over 80
* wishlist bugs on those over 64

Thoughts?

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com
"It's actually quite entertaining to watch ag129 prop his foot up on

Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Steve McIntyre

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 02:17:06PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>Hey folks,
>
>I've noticed a problem recently in the archive when building CDs,
>aggravated to a certain extent by the newer source formats. Some of
>the filenames in the archive are getting *very* long, and this is
>causing issues. As a matter of course, we build CDs with RockRidge and
>Joliet support so that we have long filenames for Linux and Windows
>users. The problem is that Joliet has a limit for filename length (64
>characters), and technically we're already past that length. From
>genisoimage.1:
>
> -joliet-long
> Allow Joliet filenames to be up to 103 Unicode characters,
> instead of 64. This breaks the Joliet specification, but appears
> to work. Use with caution.
>
>I've been using -joliet-long as an option to the CD build scripts for
>a while without any noticeable issues, however we may be able to hit a

^^^^ about

Support the Campaign for Audiovisual Free Expression: http://www.eff.org/cafe/