Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Jeffrey Ratcliffe

Default Need for automatic USB stick backup package

Inspired by a forum post[1], I've been using a bit of glue between
udev and unison[-gtk] to automatically backup USB sticks when they are
plugged in.

I've been thinking about packaging it up, on the basis that although
the glue is small, and simple to those who understand, it is not
trivial and firing up an editor as root to create the udev rules is
enough to scare off many users (I guess).

Would such a package be useful?

Regards

Jeff

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8584911

Old 03-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Paul Wise

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jjr@debian.org> wrote:

> Would such a package be useful?

I personally wouldn't use that script for a number of reasons:

It assumes that $HOME is /home/$USER

It assumes that the sysadmin hasn't already mounted something on /mnt

It mounts and backs up without any confirmation. The mount could
trigger unknown kernel vulnerabilities in filesystem code. Backing up
to random external USB devices could lead to information leakage.

vol_id doesn't seem to exist on Debian?

The progress dialog will not work when the user has gdm3 as a login manager.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Jeffrey Ratcliffe

On 22 March 2011 00:49, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> I personally wouldn't use that script for a number of reasons:

I adapted the script, changing various things. In particular, I use
unison-gtk, which means that nothing is done until you confirm the
changes.

> The mount could trigger unknown kernel vulnerabilities in filesystem code

The USB Stick would be automounted anyway. How is this different?

Thanks for the feedback

Jeff

Old 03-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Paul Wise

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Jeffrey Ratcliffe <jjr@debian.org> wrote:
> On 22 March 2011 00:49, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> The mount could trigger unknown kernel vulnerabilities in filesystem code
>
> The USB Stick would be automounted anyway. How is this different?

Automounting is disabled on desktops that do the right thing and when
people want their desktop to do the right thing and so turned it off.
This would mean turning it back on again.