Old 03-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Svante Signell

Default Mirror problems?

Hi,

when apt-updating from ftp.se.debian.org i get the following Hash Sum
mismatch failures:
(it does not happen when using ftp.us.debian.org in sources.list)

W: Failed to fetch
bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_main_source_Sou rces Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch
bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_main_binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

Name Size Last Modified
Packages.bz2 6851 KB 12/03/11 14:04:00
Packages.diff 12/03/11 14:15:00
Packages.gz 8981 KB 12/03/11 14:04:00
Release 1 KB 12/03/11 15:52:00

Old 03-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Alessandro Ghedini

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 01:32:21PM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> when apt-updating from ftp.se.debian.org i get the following Hash Sum
> mismatch failures:
> (it does not happen when using ftp.us.debian.org in sources.list)
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_main_source_Sou rces Hash Sum mismatch
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_main_binary-i386_Packages Hash Sum mismatch
>
> E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old
> ones used instead.

I had the same problem yesterday afternoon with ftp.it.debian.org for a
couple of hours, but it works fine now.

Cheers

--
perl -E'$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'

Old 03-13-2011, 01:20 PM
David Kalnischkies

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 13:32, Svante Signell <svante.signell@telia.com> wrote:
> when apt-updating from ftp.se.debian.org i get the following Hash Sum
> mismatch failures:
> (it does not happen when using ftp.us.debian.org in sources.list)

APT since version 0.8.11 uses the clearsigned InRelease files instead of
Release and its detached Release.gpg if possible.
The file was announced by the ftpmasters on Nov 15, 2009 -
I really thought it would be save to use it more than a year later…

"Much to learn, you still have." says my master now and laughs.

Unfortunately many mirrors doesn't use the newest version of ftpsync [0]
and therefore their two stage update of the mirror is flawed:
The InRelease file is updated already in the first stage while all the
other indexes are updated in the second stage.

As the first stage can have an enormous size [1] there can be quiet a bit
of time until the mirror sync is finished in which the hashsums doesn't
match (new [In]Release file hashsum record vs. old Packages file).

So all in all the problem is temporary. You just have to wait for the mirror
update to be finished or simple switch to a not-yet/finished updating mirror
if you are really impatient - as long as the mirror hasn't switch to the
usage of the newest ftpsync tool of course…

btw: The documentation on [0] doesn't include the InRelease file yet.
Any pointers where to "complain" about that? d-mirror, d-www, d-…?

Best regards

The hashsum mismatcher previously (not) known as
David Kalnischkies

[0] http://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror#how
[1] http://ftp-master.debian.org/size-quarter.png

Old 03-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Hideki Yamane

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:20:21 +0100
David Kalnischkies <kalnischkies@gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately many mirrors doesn't use the newest version of ftpsync [0]
> and therefore their two stage update of the mirror is flawed:

I wonder why does anyone package it? If we can get is as a package,
it's easier to update.

Hideki Yamane henrich @ debian.or.jp/org
http://wiki.debian.org/HidekiYamane

Old 03-13-2011, 07:32 PM
Svante Signell

Sorry, but the problem persists, since a few days by now!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Svante R Signell

> Sorry, but the problem persists, since a few days by now!

The problem seem to be continuing: apt-get update on any computer and distribution from ftp.se.debian.org is showing the Hash Sum error!

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_main_source _Sources Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_contrib_sou rce_Sources Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_main_binary-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_contrib_bin ary-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_experimental_main_s ource_Sources Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_contrib_bi nary-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binar y-amd64_Packages Hash Sum mismatch

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 PM
James Vega

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Svante R Signell <srs@kth.se> wrote:
>> Sorry, but the problem persists, since a few days by now!
>
> The problem seem to be continuing: apt-get update on any computer and distribution from ftp.se.debian.org is showing the Hash Sum error!
>
> W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_main_source _Sources *Hash Sum mismatch

The mirror isn't using the current version of the update script, as
described on the debian-mirrors list[0]. It should only be a transient
problem that occurs if you "apt-get update" while the mirror is in the
middle of a sync. Once the mirror has finished the sync, you'll be able
to use it normally, but the real fix would be for the mirror to update
their script.

[0]: http://lists.debian.org/debian-mirrors/2011/02/msg00055.html
--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@debian.org>

Old 03-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Mike Hommey

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:05:37AM -0400, James Vega wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Svante R Signell <srs@kth.se> wrote:
> >> Sorry, but the problem persists, since a few days by now!
> >
> > The problem seem to be continuing: apt-get update on any computer and distribution from ftp.se.debian.org is showing the Hash Sum error!
> >
> > W: Failed to fetch bzip2:/var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.se.debian.org_debian_dists_testing_main_source _Sources *Hash Sum mismatch
>
> The mirror isn't using the current version of the update script, as
> described on the debian-mirrors list[0]. It should only be a transient
> problem that occurs if you "apt-get update" while the mirror is in the
> middle of a sync. Once the mirror has finished the sync, you'll be able
> to use it normally, but the real fix would be for the mirror to update
> their script.
>
> [0]: http://lists.debian.org/debian-mirrors/2011/02/msg00055.html

Seeing how many mirrors are affected, either the apt change should be
reverted or the list of mirrors should be updated to pinpoint those that
are known to work correctly ; or both.

Mike

Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Philipp Kern

On 2011-03-14, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:
> Seeing how many mirrors are affected, either the apt change should be
> reverted or the list of mirrors should be updated to pinpoint those that
> are known to work correctly ; or both.

Or the InRelease could be dropped temporarily.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

Old 03-14-2011, 06:02 PM

On Mar 14, James Vega <jamessan@debian.org> wrote:

> The mirror isn't using the current version of the update script, as
> described on the debian-mirrors list[0]. It should only be a transient
> problem that occurs if you "apt-get update" while the mirror is in the
> middle of a sync. Once the mirror has finished the sync, you'll be able
> to use it normally, but the real fix would be for the mirror to update
> their script.
The problem is that this is reflected on the downstream mirrors.

--
ciao,
Marco