Old 03-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Kurt Roeckx

Default new Contents generator on ftp-master

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 09:44:51PM +0100, Torsten Werner wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:
> > $ apt-file search bokmaal.aff
> > inorwegian: /usr/lib/ispell/bokmaal.aff
> > $ apt-file search bokmål.aff
> > inorwegian: /usr/lib/ispell/bokmål.aff
>
> $ zgrep inorwegian Contents-amd64.gz
> DUPLICATE_FILENAMES
> text/inorwegian,text/wnorwegian
>
> Are you using a current contents file from sid?

No, I'm used an older file. It used to work, so I see no reason
why that shouldn't work anymore.

> > But then my understanding changed so that a single package
> > shipping a file which has different encodings for the filename
> > would not have that (or any) file mentioned. *If you already
> > convert them all to utf-8, I see no problem in only mentioning
> > that file once instead of not at all.
>
> It is not that easy due to database constraints. But if that is needed...

I currently don't see why.

Kurt

Old 03-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Kurt Roeckx

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 11:06:41PM +0100, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 09:44:51PM +0100, Torsten Werner wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:
> > > $ apt-file search bokmaal.aff
> > > inorwegian: /usr/lib/ispell/bokmaal.aff
> > > $ apt-file search bokmål.aff
> > > inorwegian: /usr/lib/ispell/bokmål.aff
> >
> > $ zgrep inorwegian Contents-amd64.gz
> > DUPLICATE_FILENAMES
> > text/inorwegian,text/wnorwegian
> >
> > Are you using a current contents file from sid?
>
> No, I'm used an older file. It used to work, so I see no reason
> why that shouldn't work anymore.

I mean, I really don't understand why you can't atleast list the
other files from the package.

> > > But then my understanding changed so that a single package
> > > shipping a file which has different encodings for the filename
> > > would not have that (or any) file mentioned. *If you already
> > > convert them all to utf-8, I see no problem in only mentioning
> > > that file once instead of not at all.
> >
> > It is not that easy due to database constraints. But if that is needed...
>
> I currently don't see why.

But I think it would also be a good idea to only have utf-8 files
in packages. If only all the software could deal with them.

Kurt

Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Torsten Werner

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:
> I mean, I really don't understand why you can't atleast list the
> other files from the package.

I've added a de-duplication mechanism.

Torsten

Old 03-15-2011, 07:23 PM
"Adam D. Barratt"

On Sat, 2011-03-12 at 11:01 +0100, Torsten Werner wrote:
> we have disabled the contents generator of apt-ftparchive and replaced
> it by a new implementation in dak. There are some visible changes:
[...]
> The new implementation is currently only used for suites that are not
> marked as untouchable. Oldstable and stable will switch during the next
> point release.

Have you (or anyone else) verified that any tools in {old,}stable
parsing contents files are compatible with the new structure (and
filenames in the case of udebs)?

Apologies if this was answered elsewhere in the thread and I simply
missed it, in which case a pointer would be appreciated.

Regards,

Adam

Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Joerg Jaspert

>> The new implementation is currently only used for suites that are not
>> marked as untouchable. Oldstable and stable will switch during the next
>> point release.
> Have you (or anyone else) verified that any tools in {old,}stable
> parsing contents files are compatible with the new structure (and
> filenames in the case of udebs)?

As far as I remember, there is currently no user for the udeb contents files.
Or that was the case last we had a discussion about it.

--
bye, Joerg
<exa> yes, I'm annoying.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 AM
"Adam D. Barratt"

On Tue, March 15, 2011 21:40, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

>>> The new implementation is currently only used for suites that are not
>>> marked as untouchable. Oldstable and stable will switch during the next
>>> point release.
>> Have you (or anyone else) verified that any tools in {old,}stable
>> parsing contents files are compatible with the new structure (and
>> filenames in the case of udebs)?
>
> As far as I remember, there is currently no user for the udeb contents
> files.
> Or that was the case last we had a discussion about it.

That wouldn't surprise me. The filenames were a bit of an add-on thought
to be honest, my main concern was the tool compatibility.

Regards,

Adam