Old 03-12-2011, 12:30 PM
roy hills

Default Process to adopt moribund packages?

Is there a process for a prospective Debian developer to adopt a package that's not been updated for a long time?

I know the current package maintainer can file an RFA, or orphan the package, but is there a process for a new
maintainer to take the package over if the current maintainer doesn't update it but doesn't request adoption?

Old 03-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Neil Williams

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/beyond-pkging.html#mia-qa

Ask someone on debian-qa@lists.debian.org about the specific package.

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 03-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Adrian von Bidder

On Saturday 12 March 2011 14.50:53 Neil Williams wrote:
> roy hills <royhills@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I know the current package maintainer can file an RFA, or orphan the
> > package, but is there a process for a new maintainer to take the
> > package over if the current maintainer doesn't update it but doesn't
> > request adoption?
>
> Ask someone on debian-qa@lists.debian.org about the specific package.

Contacting the current maintainer should IMO always be the (obvious) first
step - if you feel the package is neglected, ask if he would mind if you'd
take over.

cheers
-- vbi

--
<StevenK> You're rewriting parts of Quake in *Python*?
<knghtbrd> MUAHAHAHA

Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 AM
roy hills

> Contacting the current maintainer should IMO always be the (obvious) first
> step - if you feel the package is neglected, ask if he would mind if you'd
> take over.

The reason I think it's been abandoned is that there's been a more recent upstream
version for about two and a half years now.

I've tried to make contact directly, but it's only been a week so far.

Thanks for everyone's help. I now understand the MIA process, and will follow that
if I don't get any response.