Old 03-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Ralf Treinen

Default new Contents generator on ftp-master

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 03:30:03PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Jakub Wilk

> | Shouldn't dak reject debs with duplicate filenames in the first place?
>
> No, packages might very well ship duplicate files (think all mtas
> shipping /usr/sbin/sendmail) but they then have to conflict + replace.

Some statistics on that, since I am testing for possible package
installation errors due to file hijacking: in sid (main+contrib+
nonfree) we have about 1000 pairs of packages that share at least one
path name. Only about 65 of them can be installed together, the remaining
ones are directly or indirectly in conflict. And among the 65 which
can be installed together, almost all of them use a diversion of Replaces
(otherwise they'll a get a Serious bug report from me when I catch them :-)

http://edos.debian.net/file-overwrites/

-Ralf.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Torsten Werner

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:
> So basicly apt-file search will fail to find any file in
> inorwegian and wnorwegian?

It won't find any files currently for both packages.

> Why? *What's wrong with the old way of doing it?

Both packages ship symlinks with the same name but different
encodings. Some weeks ago there have been some discussion about
Unicode correctness in Debian. I think that we should accept only
properly UTF-8 encoded filenames in the future but I am open for
discussion. We can use a manual workaround for (old)stable if we want
that.

Torsten

Old 03-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Kurt Roeckx

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 07:53:34PM +0100, Torsten Werner wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:
> > So basicly apt-file search will fail to find any file in
> > inorwegian and wnorwegian?
>
> It won't find any files currently for both packages.

$ apt-file search bokmaal.aff
inorwegian: /usr/lib/ispell/bokmaal.aff
$ apt-file search bokmål.aff
inorwegian: /usr/lib/ispell/bokmål.aff

Seems to work fine?

> > Why? *What's wrong with the old way of doing it?
>
> Both packages ship symlinks with the same name but different
> encodings. Some weeks ago there have been some discussion about
> Unicode correctness in Debian. I think that we should accept only
> properly UTF-8 encoded filenames in the future but I am open for
> discussion. We can use a manual workaround for (old)stable if we want
> that.

I think there might be some misunderstanding of what you mean.
My understanding from the original mail was:
some packages ship /usr/sbin/sendmail, currently that seems to be:
citadel-mta: /usr/sbin/sendmail
courier-mta: /usr/sbin/sendmail
dma: /usr/sbin/sendmail
esmtp-run: /usr/sbin/sendmail
exim4-daemon-heavy: /usr/sbin/sendmail
exim4-daemon-light: /usr/sbin/sendmail
masqmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
msmtp-mta: /usr/sbin/sendmail
nullmailer: /usr/sbin/sendmail
postfix: /usr/sbin/sendmail
sendmail-base: /usr/sbin/sendmailconfig
ssmtp: /usr/sbin/sendmail
xmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail

And as a result for all those packages you would list no file at all.

But then my understanding changed so that a single package
shipping a file which has different encodings for the filename
would not have that (or any) file mentioned. If you already
convert them all to utf-8, I see no problem in only mentioning
that file once instead of not at all.

Kurt

Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Torsten Werner

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:
> $ apt-file search bokmaal.aff
> inorwegian: /usr/lib/ispell/bokmaal.aff
> $ apt-file search bokmål.aff
> inorwegian: /usr/lib/ispell/bokmål.aff

$ zgrep inorwegian Contents-amd64.gz
DUPLICATE_FILENAMES
text/inorwegian,text/wnorwegian

Are you using a current contents file from sid?

> But then my understanding changed so that a single package
> shipping a file which has different encodings for the filename
> would not have that (or any) file mentioned. *If you already
> convert them all to utf-8, I see no problem in only mentioning
> that file once instead of not at all.

It is not that easy due to database constraints. But if that is needed...

Torsten