Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Sven Mueller

Default dpatch -> quilt

gregor herrmann schrieb:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:09:28 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
>> Is there any easy conversion from dpatch to quilt for a given package
>> that is using dpatch?
>
> The following two links might give an idea:
> * manual conversion:
> http://blog.orebokech.com/2007/08/converting-debian-packages-from-dpatch.html
> * script (but svn-centric):
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-perl/scripts/dpatch2quilt?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

The script should (IMHO) make sure QUILT_PATCHES is set correctly.
(Cc'ing dmn because of this)

However, I wonder wether quilt has any way (through a known wrapper
perhaps) to support the thing I like (though I'm not too attached to
that feature) with dpatch:
Being able to keep only debian/* in the repository along with the
orig.tar.gz

As said, just wondering, I'm not too attached to that feature.

cu,
Sven

Old 02-07-2008, 09:46 PM
gregor herrmann

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 23:07:00 +0100, Sven Mueller wrote:

> > * script (but svn-centric):
> > http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-perl/scripts/dpatch2quilt?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
> The script should (IMHO) make sure QUILT_PATCHES is set correctly.
> (Cc'ing dmn because of this)

Good catch, thanks!
Fixed.

> Being able to keep only debian/* in the repository along with the
> orig.tar.gz

IIRC this issued has already come up in this long thread, and IIRC
there where no positive answers yet.

Cheers,
gregor
--
.'`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
: :' : debian: the universal operating system - http://www.debian.org/

Old 02-07-2008, 09:49 PM
sean finney

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 06:52:55 pm sean finney wrote:
> the thing you want is /usr/share/svn-buildpackage/contrib/svn-do. i
> personally have it moved into $PATH and use it for my quilt-and-svn-using
> packages, such as php, and it works quite nicely.
>
> i'd argue that's it's somewhat backwards to expect a patch management
> system like dpatch or quilt to perform this task, and really it should be
> the responsibility of the vcs or vcs-wrapper tools.

sean

Old 02-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Damyan Ivanov

[please CC me on replies]

-=| Sven Mueller, Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 11:07:00PM +0100 |=-
> gregor herrmann schrieb:
> > On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:09:28 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any easy conversion from dpatch to quilt for a given package
> >> that is using dpatch?
> > http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-perl/scripts/dpatch2quilt?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
>
> The script should (IMHO) make sure QUILT_PATCHES is set correctly.
> (Cc'ing dmn because of this)

It simply assumes that the user has already configured quilt either via
QUILT_PATCHES environment variable, or via ~/.quiltrc.

Forcing QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches may be not what everybody wants.

--
dam JabberID: dam@jabber.minus273.org

Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Damyan Ivanov

[please CC me on replies]

-=| Damyan Ivanov, Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 01:35:52PM +0200 |=-
> -=| Sven Mueller, Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 11:07:00PM +0100 |=-
> > gregor herrmann schrieb:

> > > http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/pkg-perl/scripts/dpatch2quilt?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
> >
> > The script should (IMHO) make sure QUILT_PATCHES is set correctly.
> > (Cc'ing dmn because of this)
>
> It simply assumes that the user has already configured quilt either via
> QUILT_PATCHES environment variable, or via ~/.quiltrc.
>
> Forcing QUILT_PATCHES=debian/patches may be not what everybody wants.

On the other hand, the script above was created for the needs of the
Debian perl Group, where we certainly want to use debian/patches, so
forcing that would do no harm. Moreover, the script itself uses that
hardcoded path in several places.

Gregor was kind enough to implement that.

--
dam JabberID: dam@jabber.minus273.org

Old 02-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Josselin Mouette

On jeu, 2008-02-07 at 23:07 +0100, Sven Mueller wrote:
> However, I wonder wether quilt has any way (through a known wrapper
> perhaps) to support the thing I like (though I'm not too attached to
> that feature) with dpatch:
> Being able to keep only debian/* in the repository along with the
> orig.tar.gz

You have this possibility with any of the patch systems that were
discussed in this thread.

We’ve always done this way in pkg-gnome’s SVN, keeping only debian/
directories, while using simple-patchsys, dpatch, dbs (muahaha) and now
standardizing on quilt.

--
.'`.
`- our own. Resistance is futile.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:25 PM
David Paleino

Il giorno Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:07:18 +0100
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> ha scritto:

> On jeu, 2008-02-07 at 23:07 +0100, Sven Mueller wrote:
> > However, I wonder wether quilt has any way (through a known wrapper
> > perhaps) to support the thing I like (though I'm not too attached to
> > that feature) with dpatch:
> > Being able to keep only debian/* in the repository along with the
> > orig.tar.gz
>
> You have this possibility with any of the patch systems that were
> discussed in this thread.
>
> We’ve always done this way in pkg-gnome’s SVN, keeping only debian/
> directories, while using simple-patchsys, dpatch, dbs (muahaha) and now
> standardizing on quilt.

... and? Something's missing: do you use svn-do?

--
. '`. Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino
: :' : Linuxer #334216 --|-- http://www.hanskalabs.net/

Old 02-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Josselin Mouette

On sam, 2008-02-16 at 18:25 +0100, David Paleino wrote:
> Il giorno Sat, 16 Feb 2008 17:07:18 +0100
> Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> ha scritto:
>
> > On jeu, 2008-02-07 at 23:07 +0100, Sven Mueller wrote:
> > > However, I wonder wether quilt has any way (through a known wrapper
> > > perhaps) to support the thing I like (though I'm not too attached to
> > > that feature) with dpatch:
> > > Being able to keep only debian/* in the repository along with the
> > > orig.tar.gz
> >
> > You have this possibility with any of the patch systems that were
> > discussed in this thread.
> >
> > We’ve always done this way in pkg-gnome’s SVN, keeping only debian/
> > directories, while using simple-patchsys, dpatch, dbs (muahaha) and now
> > standardizing on quilt.
>
> ... and? Something's missing: do you use svn-do?

svn-do works with quilt, but I prefer unpacking the tarball in a
temporary directory and symlinking debian/ inside.

--
.'`.
`- our own. Resistance is futile.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Loïc Minier

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008, David Paleino wrote:
> > We’ve always done this way in pkg-gnome’s SVN, keeping only debian/
> > directories, while using simple-patchsys, dpatch, dbs (muahaha) and now
> > standardizing on quilt.
>
> ... and? Something's missing: do you use svn-do?

I wrote it for pkg-gnome.

--
Loïc Minier