-   -   Call for projects for Google Summer of Code 2011 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/496153-call-projects-google-summer-code-2011-a.html)

Adrian von Bidder 03-02-2011 11:57 AM

On Wednesday 02 March 2011 10.43:44 Ana Guerrero wrote:

> Debian is applying as mentoring organization to the Google Summer of Code
> (GSoC) this year

Dealing with the init scripts / service enable / disable mess. See current
d-devel discussion.

As much a discussion / social skills project as a coding project, so I'm not
sure if GSoC is the right place.

Or do it as a pure coding project, implement a proper set of tools, but then
it's a question if it will be adopted into Debian in the end, which would
mean wasted effort.

(And please don't start discussion of the actual problem here, there's the
other thread for this...)

cheers
-- vbi

--
Jetzt ist der Herr Bush Prsident, und weil ihm wieder langweilig ist,
will er endlich den Saddam loswerden. Der Herr Bush hat nmlich keine

Bernd Zeimetz 03-02-2011 12:16 PM

On 03/02/2011 01:57 PM, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 March 2011 10.43:44 Ana Guerrero wrote:
>
>> Debian is applying as mentoring organization to the Google Summer of Code
>> (GSoC) this year
>
> Dealing with the init scripts / service enable / disable mess. See current
> d-devel discussion.

What about a project which prepares a migration to
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd ?

http://bzed.de http://www.debian.org
GPG Fingerprints: ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F

Cyril Brulebois 03-02-2011 12:19 PM

Call for projects for Google Summer of Code 2011

Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> (02/03/2011):
> What about a project which prepares a migration to
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd ?

yay for portability.

KiBi.

Josselin Mouette 03-02-2011 04:37 PM

Le mercredi 02 mars 2011 * 14:19 +0100, Cyril Brulebois a écrit :
> Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> (02/03/2011):
> > What about a project which prepares a migration to
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd ?
>
> yay for portability.

What about a project to port systemd to kfreebsd ? :)

--
.'`.
: :' : “You would need to ask a lawyer if you don't know

Paul Wise 03-03-2011 12:34 AM

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:37 AM, Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> What about a project to port systemd to kfreebsd ? :)

That is unlikely to be useful, upstream has explicitly said they are
targeting Linux only.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Jonathan Nieder 03-03-2011 01:03 AM

Paul Wise wrote:

> That is unlikely to be useful, upstream has explicitly said they are
> targeting Linux only.

More precisely[1]:

"Will this run on [insert non-Linux OS here]?

Unlikely. As pointed out, systemd uses many Linux specific
APIs […] That said, git supports branches and rebasing quite
well, in case people really want to do a port.

[…]

If folks want to implement something similar for other
operating systems, the preferred mode of cooperation is
probably that we help you identify which interfaces can be
shared with your system, to make life easier for daemon
writers to support both systemd and your systemd counterpart.
Probably, the focus should be to share interfaces, not code."

So upstream does seem to be interested in cooperating with developers
for other platforms, though not in maintaining the resulting code.

For what it's worth.
Jonathan

[1] http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd.html

Stefano Zacchiroli 03-03-2011 07:30 AM

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 01:57:34PM +0100, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> > Debian is applying as mentoring organization to the Google Summer of Code
> > (GSoC) this year
> Dealing with the init scripts / service enable / disable mess. See current
> d-devel discussion.

Beside the merits of this specific proposals, please don't throw GSoC
project ideas to this list as they'll be forgotten for sure. Rather,
please check the proposal template [1] and drop a mail to the
soc-coordination list [2]. That's the best way to ensure that proposal
won't be overlooked by the admins.

Cheers.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode/ProposalTemplate

Quando anche i santi ti voltano le spalle, | . |. I've fans everywhere

Bernd Zeimetz 03-03-2011 08:16 AM

On 03/03/2011 03:03 AM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> If folks want to implement something similar for other
> operating systems, the preferred mode of cooperation is
> probably that we help you identify which interfaces can be
> shared with your system, to make life easier for daemon
> writers to support both systemd and your systemd counterpart.
> Probably, the focus should be to share interfaces, not code."

Then it might be worth to have a project to identify these interfaces
and write some code to support systemd-aware daemons on (k)freebsd. For
systemd it definitely makes sense to use all the fancy linux APIs - but
it should still be possible to write a proper replacement for freebsd.