Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 PM
David Joseph P Crowley

Default Compilation packages - major problem!!

Dear Sir/Madam,
I downloaded the Debian/GNU Linux OS stable version onto my 32 bit system. I wish to use it for development purposes but I am having trouble with compiling my .c files, in fact the "gcc" command isn't even working! I read on the Debian website that the command : "*# apt-get install glibc-doc manpages-dev libc6-dev gcc build-essential." on the command line should setup a proper environment to complie c programs. *

But I tried this and it didn't work!! it complains that I am not allowed to do this because I am not in root or something . I read also that I should obtain root permission - and a method of doing this was to type "root" into the login prompt - this did not work either! * I don't know how to fix this, what could be wrong? am I missing files , ids this normal? *Help???!!!

Rgds,David.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Ben Hutchings

This list is for Debian developers, not for developers who happen to use
Debian.

Basic questions, such as how to log in as root, should be addressed to
the debian-user list or to the http://ask.debian.net web site.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings