Old 02-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Jonathan Nieder

Default Wanted: maintainer for git's emacs support

Hi,

None of the current Debian git maintainers seem to use emacs. This
means git's emacs support[1] does not get as much care as it deserves:
see for example bugs #611936, #611931, #611932, #611933, #611934,
#577834, and #611935.

The upstream maintainer is very friendly and responsive though he
doesn't seem to have much time for it these days. Users are friendly
and responsive, too. So I wonder:

- would anyone be interested in adopting this code in Debian?
- if not, should we be shipping it?

Thoughts welcome. (Actions even more so. )
Jonathan

[1] /usr/share/doc/git/README.emacs

Old 02-19-2011, 01:46 PM
David Bremner

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 21:18:38 -0600, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:

> None of the current Debian git maintainers seem to use emacs. This
> means git's emacs support[1] does not get as much care as it deserves:
> see for example bugs #611936, #611931, #611932, #611933, #611934,
> #577834, and #611935.

FWIW, if I was going to put energy into something related to git and
emacs, it would be into magit [1], which I use daily, and which is also
pretty out of date in Debian.

[1] http://philjackson.github.com/magit/index.html

Old 02-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Rémi Vanicat

David Bremner <bremner@unb.ca> writes:

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 21:18:38 -0600, Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> None of the current Debian git maintainers seem to use emacs. This
>> means git's emacs support[1] does not get as much care as it deserves:
>> see for example bugs #611936, #611931, #611932, #611933, #611934,
>> #577834, and #611935.
>
> FWIW, if I was going to put energy into something related to git and
> emacs, it would be into magit [1], which I use daily, and which is also
> pretty out of date in Debian.

If there should be a change in maintenance of magit, I would be very
interested because I'm one of the main upstream developer.

About the .el of the git package, I might look at it this week, but I'm
not sure if I want to take responsibilities for them as I don't use
them.

--
Rémi Vanicat

Old 02-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Timo Juhani Lindfors

Rémi Vanicat <vanicat@debian.org> writes:
> If there should be a change in maintenance of magit, I would be very
> interested because I'm one of the main upstream developer.

Sorry for being quiet about this but see

Now that squeeze has released I think this can go forward.