Old 02-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Michael Prokop

Default Request for Comments: Planned removal of ddrescue

Hi,

I'm the maintainer of the ddrescue and gddrescue packages.
I plan to drop the ddrescue package.

Background:

ddrescue provides the dd_rescue binary, gddrescue provides the
ddrescue binary. As you might notice this is far from a perfect
situation and confuses users.

* ddrescue = http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
* gddrescue = http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

Popcon currently lists more ddrescue installations than gddrescue:

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=gddrescue+ddrescue&show_install ed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=&to_d ate=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

But this is very probably caused by the (misleading) package names
and users not being fully aware of the ddrescue (dd_rescue) vs.
gddrescue (ddrescue) issue.

I'd like to get rid of this confusion now. AFAICT gddrescue provides
all the features (and even more) ddrescue does. Also from a forensic
and data rescue POV gddrescue works pretty well and I'm not aware of
any issues with it.

Related: Ubuntu had a similar discussion in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gddrescue/+bug/161126

Suggestion:

I propose the removal of the ddrescue package.

If anyone has any objections against the removal of ddrescue please
share why you think it's worth supporting it, otherwise I'd file a
request for removal of ddrescue.

thanks && regards,
-mika-

Old 02-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Luca Capello

Hi there!

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 23:17:58 +0100, Michael Prokop wrote:
> I'm the maintainer of the ddrescue and gddrescue packages.
> I plan to drop the ddrescue package.
[...]
> I'd like to get rid of this confusion now. AFAICT gddrescue provides
> all the features (and even more) ddrescue does. Also from a forensic
> and data rescue POV gddrescue works pretty well and I'm not aware of
> any issues with it.

Without having checked at dd_rescue, but having used gddrescue various
times and being a bit too lazy now to check the following, I guess that
your past concerns do not stand anymore, do they?

<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=537697#10>

> I propose the removal of the ddrescue package.

+1, I was myself confused while looking at `apt-cache search ddrescue`.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Old 02-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Antonio Diaz Diaz

Hello Mika et all,

Michael Prokop wrote:

I'm the maintainer of the ddrescue and gddrescue packages.
I plan to drop the ddrescue package.

IMHO dropping the gddrescue package and moving GNU ddrescue to the
ddrescue package (replacing dd_rescue) is the least confusing solution
for the users in the long term.

I suppose such replacement may be complicated and create a lot of
problems in the short term, but I still think it is the best solution in
the long term.

I guess many people expect to find GNU ddrescue in the ddrescue package,
and if this package is dropped they may wrongly conclude that Debian
does not provide GNU ddrescue instead of searching for the, unknown to
them, gddrescue package.

And as 1) the executable names are different, and 2) ddrescue is mainly
used by humans instead of scripts, maybe the short term problems created
by the proposed replacement aren't so serious after all.

Best regards,
Antonio.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:43 PM
Michael Prokop

* Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> [Thu Feb 17, 2011 at 12:05:18AM +0100]:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 23:17:58 +0100, Michael Prokop wrote:

> > I'm the maintainer of the ddrescue and gddrescue packages.
> > I plan to drop the ddrescue package.
> [...]
> > I'd like to get rid of this confusion now. AFAICT gddrescue provides
> > all the features (and even more) ddrescue does. Also from a forensic
> > and data rescue POV gddrescue works pretty well and I'm not aware of
> > any issues with it.

> Without having checked at dd_rescue, but having used gddrescue various
> times and being a bit too lazy now to check the following, I guess that
> your past concerns do not stand anymore, do they?

> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=537697#10>

Correct, I consider gddrescue a full replacement for ddrescue
nowadays.

> > I propose the removal of the ddrescue package.

> +1, I was myself confused while looking at `apt-cache search ddrescue`.

Thanks for the feedback, Luca.

regards,
-mika-

Old 02-23-2011, 10:50 PM
Michael Prokop

* Antonio Diaz Diaz [Fri Feb 18, 2011 at 05:58:22PM +0100]:
> Michael Prokop wrote:

>> I'm the maintainer of the ddrescue and gddrescue packages.
>> I plan to drop the ddrescue package.

> IMHO dropping the gddrescue package and moving GNU ddrescue to the
> ddrescue package (replacing dd_rescue) is the least confusing solution
> for the users in the long term.

> I suppose such replacement may be complicated and create a lot of
> problems in the short term, but I still think it is the best solution in
> the long term.

Ok, I'll think about that.

> I guess many people expect to find GNU ddrescue in the ddrescue package,
> and if this package is dropped they may wrongly conclude that Debian does
> not provide GNU ddrescue instead of searching for the, unknown to them,
> gddrescue package.

Valid point.

> And as 1) the executable names are different, and 2) ddrescue is mainly
> used by humans instead of scripts, maybe the short term problems created
> by the proposed replacement aren't so serious after all.

Thanks for your feedback, Antonio.

regards,
-mika-