Old 02-14-2011, 04:17 PM
Josselin Mouette

Default GNOME 3 and panel applets

[Bcc: all maintainers of GNOME applets]

Hi,

as it was already mentioned for other reasons, GNOME 3 is just around
the corner, and there are some big changes ahead. DO NOT PANIC: the
current desktop with gnome-panel and metacity will remain as an
alternative. Anyone wanting to troll about how gnome-shell sucks is
invited to do so elsewhere, since the topic here is gnome-panel.

The panel remains, but it will be a GTK3 / D-Bus panel. In its current
state, it doesn’t support the good old GTK2 / bonobo applets, of which
we have a lot in the archive. Upstream confirmed they don’t have time to
support them for 3.0 unless someone steps up to do the job.

If you develop, maintain or use one of those packages, and you don’t
want it to disappear, your options are now:

1. Prepare to disable gnome-panel support (that’s for packages
which already have other options, such as using the notification
area).
2. If meaningful (it depends on the applet), switch to another
technology such as libappindicator or the notification area.
3. Port your applet to GTK3 and the new D-Bus API. The bindings for
Python and C# will probably not work either, so you might have
to start with them.
4. Step up and do the work to add support for bonobo applets in the
panel.

Option 4 is the only way to keep all applets with low maintenance in
Debian. It should be possible by developing a gateway D-Bus service that
loads a bonobo applet in a process separate from the panel and proxies
signals through it. If you are interested, please get in touch with
upstream. If no one is interested, a large portion of the following list
is going to leave the archive.

David Villa Alises <David.Villa@uclm.es>
ows

Sebastien Bacher <seb128@debian.org>
lock-keys-applet
mboxcheck-applet
netspeed

Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org>
xnee

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>
tracker
vinagre (U)

Laurent Bigonville <bigon@debian.org>
gnome-mag (U)

Salvatore Bonaccorso <salvatore.bonaccorso@gmail.com>
giplet

Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org>
link-monitor-applet

Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@debian.org>
hdate-applet (U)

LI Daobing <lidaobing@debian.org>
lunar-applet

Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
deskbar-applet
gnome-mag (U)
gnome-main-menu (U)
gnome-netstatus (U)
gnome-utils
hamster-applet (U)
mousetweaks (U)
netspeed (U)
ontv (U)
seahorse-plugins (U)
tsclient
vinagre (U)

Debian Hebrew Packaging Team <debian-hebrew-package@lists.alioth.debian.org>
hdate-applet
hspell-gui

Debian Xfce Maintainers <pkg-xfce-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
xfce4-xfapplet-plugin

Barry deFreese <bddebian@comcast.net>
xnee (U)

Sebastian Dröge <slomo@debian.org>
deskbar-applet (U)
gnome-mag (U)
gnome-netstatus (U)
gnome-utils (U)
hamster-applet (U)
mousetweaks (U)
ontv (U)
seahorse-plugins (U)
service-discovery-applet
vinagre (U)

Diego Fernández Durán <diego@goedi.net>
quick-lounge-applet

Baruch Even <baruch@debian.org>
hdate-applet (U)
hspell-gui (U)

Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@debian.org>
remmina-gnome

Anthony Fok <foka@debian.org>
lunar-applet (U)

Pedro Fragoso <ember@ubuntu.com>
hamster-applet

Filippo Giunchedi <filippo@esaurito.net>
sensors-applet (U)

Rudy Godoy <rudy@kernel-panik.org>
xfce4-xfapplet-plugin (U)

Gustavo Iñiguez Goya <ga@kutxa.homeunix.org>
gnome-inm-forecast

Fabian Greffrath <fabian@debian-unofficial.org>
glunarclock (U)

Debian QA Group <packages@qa.debian.org>
ddccontrol
gnome-pilot

Jeremy Guitton <debotux@free.fr>
ontv

Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org>
window-picker-applet

Jerry Haltom <wasabi@larvalstage.net>
gnome-netstatus

Clement 'nodens' Hermann <clement.hermann@free.fr>
tsclient (U)

Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
indicator-applet (U)

Simon Huggins <huggie@earth.li>
xfce4-xfapplet-plugin (U)

Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>
hdate-applet (U)
hspell-gui (U)

Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org>
timer-applet

Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org>
gnome-main-menu

Kilian Krause <kilian@debian.org>
tsclient (U)

Mario Lang <mlang@debian.org>
gnome-mag (U)

John Lightsey <lightsey@debian.org>
apt-watch

Martin Loschwitz <madkiss@debian.org>
xfce4-xfapplet-plugin (U)

Francois Marier <francois@debian.org>
verbiste
workrave

Fladischer Michael <FladischerMichael@fladi.at>
panflute

Robert Millan <rmh.debian@aybabtu.com>
gnote

Loic Minier <lool@dooz.org>
computertemp (U)
gnome-mag (U)
gnome-netstatus (U)
gnome-utils (U)
netspeed (U)
service-discovery-applet (U)
tsclient (U)

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu@debian.org>
deskbar-applet (U)
gnome-main-menu (U)
gnome-utils (U)
hamster-applet (U)
mousetweaks (U)
ontv (U)
seahorse-plugins
vinagre

Sam Morris <sam@robots.org.uk>
sensors-applet

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>
deskbar-applet (U)
gnome-mag (U)
gnome-netstatus (U)
gnome-utils (U)
hamster-applet (U)
mousetweaks
netspeed (U)
seahorse-plugins (U)
tsclient (U)
vinagre (U)

Jose M. Moya <josem@debian.org>
gai
shermans-aquarium

Francesco Namuri <francesco@namuri.it>
drapes

Kiwamu Okabe <kiwamu@debian.or.jp>
uim

Barak A. Pearlmutter <bap@debian.org>
gnome-randr-applet

Adriaan Peeters <apeeters@lashout.net>
computertemp

Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac@corsac.net>
xfce4-xfapplet-plugin (U)

Frederic Peters <fpeters@debian.org>
gnome-blog

Ari Pollak <ari@debian.org>
hardware-monitor

Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals <rainct@ubuntu.com>
webboard

Python Applications Packaging Team <python-apps-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>
panflute (U)

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org>
xpenguins-applet

Rogerio Reis <rvr@debian.org>
gspot

Emanuele Rocca <ema@debian.org>
xfce4-xfapplet-plugin (U)

Daniel Ruoso <daniel@ruoso.com>
gnome-mag

Changwoo Ryu <cwryu@debian.org>
imhangul-status-applet

Shachar Shemesh <shachar@debian.org>
hdate-applet (U)
hspell-gui (U)

Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>
gnome-utils (U)

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk>
bubblemon

Soeren Sonnenburg <sonne@debian.org>
cpufire-applet

Christine Spang <christine@debian.org>
glunarclock

Andrew Starr-Bochicchio <a.starr.b@gmail.com>
file-browser-applet
indicator-applet (U)

Roland Stigge <stigge@antcom.de>
gnubiff

TANIGUCHI Takaki <takaki@debian.org>
g2ipmsg

The Ayatana Packagers <pkg-ayatana-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
indicator-applet

Davide Truffa <davide@catoblepa.org>
glipper

Bastian Venthur <venthur@debian.org>
byzanz

Stefan Völkel <stefan@bc-bd.org>
revelation

Ian Wienand <ianw@debian.org>
teatime

Deng Xiyue <manphiz-guest@users.alioth.debian.org>
gnome-netstatus (U)

Cheers,
--
.'`.
: :' : “You would need to ask a lawyer if you don't know

Old 02-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Luca Falavigna

Il 14/02/2011 18.17, Josselin Mouette ha scritto:
> Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
> tsclient

Removed from unstable.

> Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@debian.org>
> remmina-gnome

Will be removed as soon as remmina 0.9.3 hits wheezy.

--

.'`.
: :' : Luca Falavigna <dktrkranz@debian.org>

Old 02-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Joachim Breitner

Hi,

thanks for the heads-up.

Am Montag, den 14.02.2011, 18:17 +0100 schrieb Josselin Mouette:
> 3. Port your applet to GTK3 and the new D-Bus API. The bindings for
> Python and C# will probably not work either, so you might have
> to start with them.

do you have some pointers to migration guides or similar?

Also, for link-monitor-applet, I need to find out whether gob2 needs to
be updated. But it seems that GTK-3 still uses GLib-2, so this might
work.

Thanks,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
Debian Developer

Old 02-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort

On 14/02/11 17:36, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Also, for link-monitor-applet, I need to find out whether gob2 needs to
> be updated. But it seems that GTK-3 still uses GLib-2, so this might
> work.

There's no GLib 3.

Emilio

Old 02-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Loc Minier

Thanks for starting this effort! Some comments below:

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Debian GNOME Maintainers <pkg-gnome-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
> deskbar-applet
> gnome-mag (U)
> gnome-main-menu (U)
> gnome-netstatus (U)
> gnome-utils
> hamster-applet (U)
> mousetweaks (U)
> netspeed (U)
> ontv (U)
> seahorse-plugins (U)
> tsclient
> vinagre (U)

* tsclient got RMed

* deskbar-applet and gnome-main-menu are larger bodies of code, but I
don't think they are relevant upstream anymore; probably hard to keep
alive; RM?

* I believe hamster-applet is still in wide use, albeit I don't use it
myself; I would hope it gets adapted

* vinagre is probably wide use as well.

* Most of the others are probably half-relevant; not sure what's widely
used in gnome-utils; maybe gnome-mag is helpful for a11y for some
people? hard to tell

> Loic Minier <lool@dooz.org>
> computertemp (U)
> gnome-mag (U)
> gnome-netstatus (U)
> gnome-utils (U)
> netspeed (U)
> service-discovery-applet (U)
> tsclient (U)

The ones not listed above are not very important in my eyes and are
candidates for RM as well

Thanks,
--
Loc Minier

Old 02-14-2011, 06:49 PM
David Villa

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 18:17:36 +0100
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> os decir:

> [Bcc: all maintainers of GNOME applets]
>
> Hi,

> If no one is interested, a large portion of the
> following list is going to leave the archive.
>

> David Villa Alises <David.Villa@uclm.es>
> ows

I am also the upstream author of this applet. It has poor maintenance
(sorry) but it meets the required functionality in my way. Probably I
will develop a new version for gnome3 from scratch (python bindings
required), so I do not foresee to adapt or modify it in its current
form.

Cheers

Old 02-14-2011, 07:46 PM
"brian m. carlson"

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 06:17:36PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> The panel remains, but it will be a GTK3 / D-Bus panel. In its current
> state, it doesn’t support the good old GTK2 / bonobo applets, of which
> we have a lot in the archive. Upstream confirmed they don’t have time to
> support them for 3.0 unless someone steps up to do the job.

Will the existing GNOME 2 gnome-applets be ported to GNOME 3? After
all, they are part of GNOME. They're also not listed in your dd-list.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le lundi 14 février 2011 * 20:46 +0000, brian m. carlson a écrit :
> Will the existing GNOME 2 gnome-applets be ported to GNOME 3? After
> all, they are part of GNOME. They're also not listed in your dd-list.

Yes, they have already been ported - apart from invest, which is in
Python, but which is also useless crap for speculators, so not relevant.

--
.'`.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Michael Biebl

Am 14.02.2011 18:17, schrieb Josselin Mouette:

> Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>
> tracker

The search bar applet can be disabled via a configure switch.
I still do hope that search (and therefore) tracker is integrated more deeply
into the new gnome shell so such a applet would be kinda obsolete anyway.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?

Old 02-15-2011, 08:15 AM
Michael Biebl

Am 15.02.2011 09:59, schrieb Michael Biebl:
> Am 14.02.2011 18:17, schrieb Josselin Mouette:
>

>> Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>
>> tracker
>
> The search bar applet can be disabled via a configure switch.
> I still do hope that search (and therefore) tracker is integrated more deeply
> into the new gnome shell so such a applet would be kinda obsolete anyway.

That said, the upstream unstable branch of tracker apparently has a port of
tracker-search-bar using libpanelapplet-3.0, which I assume is the new D-Bus
based panel in GNOME 3.0.

I can't seem to find such a package in Debian just yet.
Joss, when do you plan that this will be available in unstable or experimental?