Old 02-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort

Default GNOME 3 and panel applets

On 14/02/11 20:46, brian m. carlson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 06:17:36PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
>> The panel remains, but it will be a GTK3 / D-Bus panel. In its current
>> state, it doesn’t support the good old GTK2 / bonobo applets, of which
>> we have a lot in the archive. Upstream confirmed they don’t have time to
>> support them for 3.0 unless someone steps up to do the job.
>
> Will the existing GNOME 2 gnome-applets be ported to GNOME 3? After
> all, they are part of GNOME. They're also not listed in your dd-list.

They have already been ported upstream.

Cheers,
Emilio

Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort

On 15/02/11 09:15, Michael Biebl wrote:
> That said, the upstream unstable branch of tracker apparently has a port of
> tracker-search-bar using libpanelapplet-3.0, which I assume is the new D-Bus
> based panel in GNOME 3.0.
>
> I can't seem to find such a package in Debian just yet.
> Joss, when do you plan that this will be available in unstable or experimental?

It could go into experimental as soon as somebody packages gnome-panel 2.91.x.

Cheers,
Emilio

Old 02-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Frederic Peters

Josselin Mouette wrote:

> If you develop, maintain or use one of those packages, and you don’t
> want it to disappear, your options are now:
>
> 1. Prepare to disable gnome-panel support (that’s for packages
> which already have other options, such as using the notification
> area).
> 2. If meaningful (it depends on the applet), switch to another
> technology such as libappindicator or the notification area.
> 3. Port your applet to GTK3 and the new D-Bus API. The bindings for
> Python and C# will probably not work either, so you might have
> to start with them.

Vincent Untz has now updated the libpanel-applet documentation, you
can get it from the gnome-panel git tree[1], and it will appear on
library.gnome.org once a gnome-panel tarball gets out.

He also added a test applet using Python and gobject introspection,
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-panel/commit/?id=5ad4d9

Hope it helps,

Frederic

[1] online as
http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-panel/tree/doc/reference/panel-applet/panel-applet-docs.sgml

Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 AM
David Weinehall

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 06:17:36PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> [Bcc: all maintainers of GNOME applets]
>
> Hi,
>
> as it was already mentioned for other reasons, GNOME 3 is just around
> the corner, and there are some big changes ahead. DO NOT PANIC: the
> current desktop with gnome-panel and metacity will remain as an
> alternative. Anyone wanting to troll about how gnome-shell sucks is
> invited to do so elsewhere, since the topic here is gnome-panel.
>
> The panel remains, but it will be a GTK3 / D-Bus panel. In its current
> state, it doesn’t support the good old GTK2 / bonobo applets, of which
> we have a lot in the archive. Upstream confirmed they don’t have time to
> support them for 3.0 unless someone steps up to do the job.

This is only partially correct though. gnome-panel will remain, but in
a heavily modified state -- the intention for the GNOME 3 version of
gnome-panel is having it as a fallback in case gnome-shell isn't
supported, and thus a lot of features will be gutted or altered to
ensure that it behaves as similar as possible to gnome-shell.

People who have been expressing concern about this have, reasonably
enough, been told that gnome-panel 2.32 is probably what they really
want. Are there any plans to provide this package?

[snip]

Regards: David
--
/) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window (
// ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ // Diamond-white roses of fire //

Old 03-07-2011, 05:52 AM
Yves-Alexis Perez

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 18:17 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> If you develop, maintain or use one of those packages, and you don’t
> want it to disappear, your options are now:
>
> 1. Prepare to disable gnome-panel support (that’s for packages
> which already have other options, such as using the notification
> area).
> 2. If meaningful (it depends on the applet), switch to another
> technology such as libappindicator or the notification area.
> 3. Port your applet to GTK3 and the new D-Bus API. The bindings for
> Python and C# will probably not work either, so you might have
> to start with them.
> 4. Step up and do the work to add support for bonobo applets in the
> panel.
>
> Option 4 is the only way to keep all applets with low maintenance in
> Debian. It should be possible by developing a gateway D-Bus service that
> loads a bonobo applet in a process separate from the panel and proxies
> signals through it. If you are interested, please get in touch with
> upstream. If no one is interested, a large portion of the following list
> is going to leave the archive.

Another option which may or may not be suitable (depending on the real
support) is xfce4-xfapplet-plugin which is an xfce4-panel plugin
enabling loading of gnome panel applets.

I'm not even sure it'll still work (the applets still need to be built
against gnome panel for example) and xfapplet plugin isn't really
maintained upstream either but in case someone has interest in this
it /might/ be a solution for someone motivated to keep a gnome-panel
alternative.

Yves-Alexis

Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le lundi 07 mars 2011 * 02:01 +0100, David Weinehall a écrit :
> > The panel remains, but it will be a GTK3 / D-Bus panel. In its current
> > state, it doesn’t support the good old GTK2 / bonobo applets, of which
> > we have a lot in the archive. Upstream confirmed they don’t have time to
> > support them for 3.0 unless someone steps up to do the job.
>
> This is only partially correct though. gnome-panel will remain, but in
> a heavily modified state -- the intention for the GNOME 3 version of
> gnome-panel is having it as a fallback in case gnome-shell isn't
> supported, and thus a lot of features will be gutted or altered to
> ensure that it behaves as similar as possible to gnome-shell.

AIUI, this is mostly a different default configuration. Nothing prevents
us from shipping another one.

> People who have been expressing concern about this have, reasonably
> enough, been told that gnome-panel 2.32 is probably what they really
> want. Are there any plans to provide this package?

No.

--
.'`.
: :' : “You would need to ask a lawyer if you don't know