Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Joachim Breitner

Default Upstart and sysvinit in packages - Policy needed

Hi,

Am Montag, den 14.02.2011, 15:38 +0100 schrieb Tollef Fog Heen:
> ]] Petter Reinholdtsen
>
> | I believe we need to come up with a way where most or all package
> | maintainers (perhaps those handling kernel events and early boot stuff
> | should be expected) only need to maintain one boot setup for their
> | package, and this boot setup should be used by all the different boot
> | systems.
>
> That would mean limiting each init system to the limitations of the most
> limited init system, which would be a sad state of affairs.

Not so sad, considering that a large portion of init scripts do hardly
need anything more and become more robust if they are not scripts any
more, but declarative descriptions.

For the rest (early boot stuff, display manager, complex daemons), we’ll
just continue writing having hand-written boot scripts.

(I really think that much more in Debian should be declarative and thus
consistent and robust, instead of repeatedly hand-written. What Michael
Vogt say about maintainer scripts equally applies to init scripts:

Another important problem to tackle is to make maintainer
scripts more declarative. I triaged a lot of upgrade bug reports
(mostly in ubuntu though) and a lot of them are caused by
maintainer script failures. Worse is that depending on the error
its really hard for the user to solve the problem. There is also
a lot of code duplication. Having a central place that contains
well tested code to do these jobs would be more robust. Triggers
help us a lot here already, but I think there is still more room
for improvement.
(http://raphaelhertzog.com/2011/01/21/people-behind-debian-michael-vogt-synaptic-apt-developer/)

But then, I should rather be quiet. I tried following this road and did
not manage to push it enough (though not because it wasn’t possible,
rather due to lack of time and motivation).

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim Breitner