Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Andreas Tille

Default Branching changelogs or not (Was: debian/changelogs, legacy work on packages and other distros)

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 09:47:22PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 16:51:26 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
>
> > 3. Whether changelogs should be branched for different Debian
> > releases, be it testing-proposed-updates, backports or even
> > derivatives as Ubuntu or others.
> >
> As the package itself is branched, the changelog should be, too.

While I regard this as a perfectly valid reason for your argument I
regard the fact to have one single document which mentions any release
of a package to keep the full history. As far as I understood practice
before is that we keep all changelog entries and the fact that the
package is branched becomes IMHO obvious be the version number.

I can not tell what argument is better but in any case we should iron
out an advise in best packaging practice document to avoid some friction
in the release process.

Kind regards

Andreas.

--