Old 02-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Jonas Meurer

Default unknown-field-in-control homepage

On 06/02/2008 Barry deFreese wrote:
>> I: cryptsetup-udeb udeb: unknown-field-in-control homepage
>
> What version of lintian do you have? That should be fixed by now.

$ lintian -V
Lintian v1.23.43

greetings,
jonas

Old 02-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Jonas Meurer

On 06/02/2008 Leo costela Antunes wrote:
> Jonas Meurer wrote:
> > I: cryptsetup-udeb udeb: unknown-field-in-control homepage
>
> Quick guess: could this be a case-sensitivity issue? Should be
> "Homepage:"...

Unfortunately not. It's already 'Homepage' in debian/control. lintian
inself seems to lowercase the field.

greetings,
jonas

Old 02-06-2008, 05:44 PM
Russ Allbery

Jonas Meurer <jonas@freesources.org> writes:

> I'm not sure whether this is an issue with dpkg or rather with lintian,
> but if I check the cryptsetup deb+udeb packages after building them,
> lintian reports that udebs don't allow the Homepage field in
> debian/control.

This is what I was told by (a d-i maintainer | someone who was willing to
express an opinion). I'm happy to change lintian if having Homepage in
udeb is deemed acceptable. Otherwise, dpkg should probably be modified to
not propagate Homepage fields into udebs.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Jonas Meurer

On 06/02/2008 Russ Allbery wrote:
> > I'm not sure whether this is an issue with dpkg or rather with lintian,
> > but if I check the cryptsetup deb+udeb packages after building them,
> > lintian reports that udebs don't allow the Homepage field in
> > debian/control.
>
> This is what I was told by (a d-i maintainer | someone who was willing to
> express an opinion). I'm happy to change lintian if having Homepage in
> udeb is deemed acceptable. Otherwise, dpkg should probably be modified to
> not propagate Homepage fields into udebs.

Hey,

I raised this issue on #debian-boot (irc), and was told that the
concerns by "(a d-i maintainer | someone who was willing to express an
opinion" were correct. Frans Pop from the debian-installer team verified
that the Homepage field should not be included in the udeb:

20:11 < mejo> fjp: did you see Russ's response to my question regarding
Homepage Field in udebs?
20:11 < mejo> fjp: i mean on debian-devel@lists.d.o
[...]
20:12 < fjp> mejo: Please file a bug against dpkg-dev.
20:14 < fjp> mejo: Russ is correct: we don't want the homepage field in
the control file of udebs

If nobody has any objections, i'll follow Frans' advice and file a bug
against dpkg-dev.

greetings,
jonas

Old 02-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Guillem Jover

Hi,

On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 20:23:37 +0100, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> On 06/02/2008 Russ Allbery wrote:
> > > I'm not sure whether this is an issue with dpkg or rather with lintian,
> > > but if I check the cryptsetup deb+udeb packages after building them,
> > > lintian reports that udebs don't allow the Homepage field in
> > > debian/control.
> >
> > This is what I was told by (a d-i maintainer | someone who was willing to
> > express an opinion). I'm happy to change lintian if having Homepage in
> > udeb is deemed acceptable. Otherwise, dpkg should probably be modified to
> > not propagate Homepage fields into udebs.
>
> I raised this issue on #debian-boot (irc), and was told that the
> concerns by "(a d-i maintainer | someone who was willing to express an
> opinion" were correct. Frans Pop from the debian-installer team verified
> that the Homepage field should not be included in the udeb:
>
> 20:11 < mejo> fjp: did you see Russ's response to my question regarding
> Homepage Field in udebs?
> 20:11 < mejo> fjp: i mean on debian-devel@lists.d.o
> [...]
> 20:12 < fjp> mejo: Please file a bug against dpkg-dev.
> 20:14 < fjp> mejo: Russ is correct: we don't want the homepage field in
> the control file of udebs
>

> If nobody has any objections, i'll follow Frans' advice and file a bug
> against dpkg-dev.

Yes, makes sense. I've just fixed it in dpkg's git [0].

regards,
guillem

[0] <http://git.debian.org/?p=dpkg/dpkg.git;a=commit;h=b29edb23>

Old 02-07-2008, 06:42 AM
Frans Pop

On Thursday 07 February 2008, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > I raised this issue on #debian-boot (irc), and was told that the
> > concerns by "(a d-i maintainer | someone who was willing to express an
> > opinion" were correct. Frans Pop from the debian-installer team
> > verified that the Homepage field should not be included in the udeb:
>
> Yes, makes sense. I've just fixed it in dpkg's git [0].

Thanks Guillem.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Raphael Hertzog

On Thu, 07 Feb 2008, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > If nobody has any objections, i'll follow Frans' advice and file a bug
> > against dpkg-dev.
>
> Yes, makes sense. I've just fixed it in dpkg's git [0].

Except it will only work if the package uses 'Package-Type' and not
'X*-Package-Type'. We should maybe offer a function to retrieve the
name/value of a field be it official or user-defined.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Old 02-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Guillem Jover

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 10:23:51 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Except it will only work if the package uses 'Package-Type' and not
> 'X*-Package-Type'.

X*B*-Package-Type should work as well.

regards,
guillem