FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Julien Cristau
 
Default Branching changelogs or not (Was: debian/changelogs, legacy work on packages and other distros)

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 16:51:26 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:

> 3. Whether changelogs should be branched for different Debian
> releases, be it testing-proposed-updates, backports or even
> derivatives as Ubuntu or others.
>
As the package itself is branched, the changelog should be, too.

Cheers,
Julien


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110212204722.GL3082@radis.liafa.jussieu.fr">http ://lists.debian.org/20110212204722.GL3082@radis.liafa.jussieu.fr
 
Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Philipp Kern
 
Default Branching changelogs or not (Was: debian/changelogs, legacy work on packages and other distros)

On 2011-02-13, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 09:47:22PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 16:51:26 +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
>> > 3. Whether changelogs should be branched for different Debian
>> > releases, be it testing-proposed-updates, backports or even
>> > derivatives as Ubuntu or others.
>> As the package itself is branched, the changelog should be, too.
> While I regard this as a perfectly valid reason for your argument I
> regard the fact to have one single document which mentions any release
> of a package to keep the full history. As far as I understood practice
> before is that we keep all changelog entries and the fact that the
> package is branched becomes IMHO obvious be the version number.

The version number in itself has no branching information. debbugs gets some
branch information through the fact that people should upload with `-v<CURRENT
VERSION IN TARGET SUITE>' and the changelog snippets thus reaching the
.changes.

You can never manage to document all revisions due to the fact that a package
in stable won't be updated. You should list all the revisions the current
upload is *based upon* in the changelog, which amounts to the branching bit
Julien said.

> I can not tell what argument is better but in any case we should iron
> out an advise in best packaging practice document to avoid some friction
> in the release process.

I never saw your style before, TBH.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: slrnilg2om.2fs.trash@kelgar.0x539.de">http://lists.debian.org/slrnilg2om.2fs.trash@kelgar.0x539.de
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:40 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org