Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 PM
Adam C Powell IV

Default ITP: opencascade -- CAE platform library and scripting engine

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist

Package name: opencascade
Version: 6.2.0
Author: Open Cascade SAS (OCC), a French software services company

Greetings,

I am packaging OpenCASCADE, a powerful computer-aided engineering (CAE)
platform library and scripting engine. It includes computer-aided
design (CAD) and visualization features, as well as some meshing for
analysis. It also comes with its own scripting engine.

The license appears to be free, though upstream interprets it as
non-free, and the source includes the non-free "triangle" program. See
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/12/msg00066.html for details.

The current package is at http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/opencascade/ . I
plan to split the package using Jason Kraftcheck's scripts (see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2008/01/msg00013.html and
http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2008/01/msg00024.html for
details) before uploading.

This is a build-depend for Salomé which I ITP'd (bug 457075).

-Adam
--
GPG fingerprint: D54D 1AEE B11C CE9B A02B C5DD 526F 01E8 564E E4B6

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/

Old 02-07-2008, 04:57 AM
Christian Perrier

Quoting Adam C Powell IV (hazelsct@debian.org):
> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
>
> Package name: opencascade
> Version: 6.2.0
> Author: Open Cascade SAS (OCC), a French software services company

s/CAE/computer-aided engineering would be more explicit, maybe.

> Greetings,
>
> I am packaging OpenCASCADE, a powerful computer-aided engineering (CAE)

That's great news. From what I know, OpenCASCADE is a pretty rare story
of a completely proprietary solution being opened by its owner to
become "Open Source"....so getting it into Debian, if legal questions
allow this, would be a major step.