Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Norbert Preining

Default chromium-browser is taking over all URLs

Hi everyone, esp chromium and mime devs,

since some time chromium has taken over all http/https urls. I checked
every place I could for the correct settings, but I didn't manage to
find the real culprit. It seems that gnome/VTE/whatever uses xdg-open,
which in turn uses gvfs-open.

Reading throught the straces of gvfs-open I see references to mime.

I checked:
- alternatives of: x-www-browser, sensible-browser, www-browser, gnome-browser
and all of them point to iceweasel
- checked the "preferred applications" in GNOME and it also shows
iceweasel
- checked with
xdg-settings get default-web-browser
also iceweasel

I am a bit lost now where to go, I always get chromium, which I don't want,
but I want to keep it around in case I need it for some web sites.

Please advice anyone?!

Best wishes

Norbert
Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094

Old 02-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Cyril Brulebois

Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> (12/02/2011):
> I checked:
> - alternatives of: x-www-browser, sensible-browser, www-browser, gnome-browser
> and all of them point to iceweasel
> - checked the "preferred applications" in GNOME and it also shows
> iceweasel
> - checked with
> xdg-settings get default-web-browser
> also iceweasel
>
> I am a bit lost now where to go, I always get chromium, which I don't want,
> but I want to keep it around in case I need it for some web sites.

-(cyril@talisker)-(~)-()
$ grep x-scheme-handler/http /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
x-scheme-handler/http=midori.desktop;chromium-browser.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/https=midori.desktop;chromium-browser.desktop;

And it takes precedence over what you quoted.

KiBi.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Norbert Preining

On Fr, 11 Feb 2011, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> $ grep x-scheme-handler/http /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
> x-scheme-handler/http=midori.desktop;chromium-browser.desktop;
> x-scheme-handler/https=midori.desktop;chromium-browser.desktop;
>
> And it takes precedence over what you quoted.

Thanks a lot!!!

Ahhh, and how does one fix that? This is misbehaviour. Whom should
this bug reported to? mime or chromium?

The point is that xdg/gvfs/whatever should use what is configured for
it.

Why do we need:
- *-browser in alternatives
- dedicated gnome setting
- whatever else
if at the end gvfs-open uses mime which is messed up?

Old 02-11-2011, 03:11 PM
"Leo "costela" Antunes"

On 11/02/11 16:49, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Fr, 11 Feb 2011, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>> $ grep x-scheme-handler/http /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
>> x-scheme-handler/http=midori.desktop;chromium-browser.desktop;
>> x-scheme-handler/https=midori.desktop;chromium-browser.desktop;
>>
>> And it takes precedence over what you quoted.
>
> Thanks a lot!!!
>
> Ahhh, and how does one fix that? This is misbehaviour. Whom should
> this bug reported to? mime or chromium?

I noticed the same issue here a few days ago.
Adding the "x-scheme-handler/http;x-scheme-handler/https;" entries to
iceweasel.desktop doesn't really solve the issue, because there doesn't
seem to be a mechanism to define priorities in update-desktop-database,
so gvfs-open uses the first entry in mimeinfo.cache.

I'd say it should probably be reported as a minor bug in gvfs-open, to
respect gnome settings before falling back to mimeinfo.cache.

Thoughts?

Cheers

--
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]

Old 02-11-2011, 03:15 PM
Norbert Preining

> iceweasel.desktop doesn't really solve the issue, because there doesn't
> seem to be a mechanism to define priorities in update-desktop-database,
> so gvfs-open uses the first entry in mimeinfo.cache.

Umpf, so we are either forced to always use what comes
alphabetically first, or remove packages?

> I'd say it should probably be reported as a minor bug in gvfs-open, to
> respect gnome settings before falling back to mimeinfo.cache.

I consider that not minor. If alphabetic order is what I am forced to
live with, that is 60ies computing style.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Josh Triplett

See http://bugs.debian.org/612876 for the bug report. I encountered the
same issue, and finally found the culprit through reading the
chromium-browser changelog.

- Josh Triplett

Old 02-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Norbert Preining

On Fr, 11 Feb 2011, Josh Triplett wrote:
> See http://bugs.debian.org/612876 for the bug report. I encountered the
> same issue, and finally found the culprit through reading the
> chromium-browser changelog.

Umpf, I have removed the x-scheme-handler/http and x-scheme-handler/https
ffrom the chromium-browser.desktop and called update-desktop-database,
now midori starts.

Then I edited midori.desktop, now epiphany-browser starts,
where does that end???

I checked xdg-open, and it calls gvfs-open, which in turn (checking the
sources) calls
g_app_info_launch_uris
from gio/gappinfo.h which belongs to libglib2.0-dev. There I tried
to read the code but gave up.

I suggest to raise the severity to serious, and reassign to libglib2.0*whatever*.

WDYT?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le samedi 12 février 2011 * 01:15 +0900, Norbert Preining a écrit :
> > I'd say it should probably be reported as a minor bug in gvfs-open, to
> > respect gnome settings before falling back to mimeinfo.cache.
>
> I consider that not minor. If alphabetic order is what I am forced to
> live with, that is 60ies computing style.

There are defaults shipped in gnome-session, precisely to avoid that
kind of issue.

With glib 2.28, the x-scheme-handler/* stuff becomes the new priority.
It just means we have to update epiphany to include it and gnome-session
to set the defaults.

I don’t think it requires more drama than that.

Cheers,
--
.'`.
: :' : “You would need to ask a lawyer if you don't know

Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Raphael Hertzog

Hi,

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 12 février 2011 * 01:15 +0900, Norbert Preining a écrit :
> > > I'd say it should probably be reported as a minor bug in gvfs-open, to
> > > respect gnome settings before falling back to mimeinfo.cache.
> >
> > I consider that not minor. If alphabetic order is what I am forced to
> > live with, that is 60ies computing style.
>
> There are defaults shipped in gnome-session, precisely to avoid that
> kind of issue.
>
> With glib 2.28, the x-scheme-handler/* stuff becomes the new priority.
> It just means we have to update epiphany to include it and gnome-session
> to set the defaults.
>
> I don’t think it requires more drama than that.

How is one supposed to prioritize between the various browsers?

What version of Gnome does the right thing to match what glib expect?

>From a user point of view, it's disturbing and this change will reach
testing if we don't finish is properly soon enough (or open an appropriate
RC bug on glib to avoid having it migrate before the other components are
in place).

Not a drama, but still something we should care about.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)

Old 02-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le lundi 14 février 2011 * 12:26 +0100, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> > There are defaults shipped in gnome-session, precisely to avoid that
> > kind of issue.
> >
> > With glib 2.28, the x-scheme-handler/* stuff becomes the new priority.
> > It just means we have to update epiphany to include it and gnome-session
> > to set the defaults.
> >
> > I don’t think it requires more drama than that.
>
> How is one supposed to prioritize between the various browsers?

There will be a default selected in gnome-session, that can be changed
by user action. Without a session-wide default (any session manager can
set one, of course) a random choice (possibly alphabetical) is used.

> What version of Gnome does the right thing to match what glib expect?

Maybe 2.32, but it won’t be uploaded anyway, so that will be 3.0 to have
the GUI to configure that default.

> From a user point of view, it's disturbing and this change will reach
> testing if we don't finish is properly soon enough (or open an appropriate
> RC bug on glib to avoid having it migrate before the other components are
> in place).

We are used to have much more terrible breakage in testing/unstable
right after a release. If our concerns are now bugs wrt. setting the
default browser, it must mean we are doing *great*

--
.'`.