Old 02-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Andrei Popescu

Default chromium-browser is taking over all URLs

On Lu, 14 feb 11, 12:33:49, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> > How is one supposed to prioritize between the various browsers?
>
> There will be a default selected in gnome-session, that can be changed
> by user action. Without a session-wide default (any session manager can
> set one, of course) a random choice (possibly alphabetical) is used.

Maybe x-www-browser would be a good default?

Regards,
Andrei

Old 02-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Raphael Hertzog

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > How is one supposed to prioritize between the various browsers?
>
> There will be a default selected in gnome-session, that can be changed
> by user action. Without a session-wide default (any session manager can
> set one, of course) a random choice (possibly alphabetical) is used.

How is that default communicated? An environment variable? A gconf key?

(I'm looking for a work-around for myself that can be used immediately)

> Maybe 2.32, but it won’t be uploaded anyway, so that will be 3.0 to have
> the GUI to configure that default.

That means in several months.

> > From a user point of view, it's disturbing and this change will reach
> > testing if we don't finish is properly soon enough (or open an appropriate
> > RC bug on glib to avoid having it migrate before the other components are
> > in place).
>
> We are used to have much more terrible breakage in testing/unstable
> right after a release. If our concerns are now bugs wrt. setting the
> default browser, it must mean we are doing *great*

Well, if we want to be serious about Constantly Usable Testing (and I wish
we do) I believe we should care about such things because they are far from
being details from an end-user perspective.

Filed #613381 to block glib2.0.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)

Old 02-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Norbert Preining

On Mo, 14 Feb 2011, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> We are used to have much more terrible breakage in testing/unstable
> right after a release. If our concerns are now bugs wrt. setting the
> default browser, it must mean we are doing *great*

Aehmm, I have set the default browser in about 10 places and still gnome
ignores it?!?!

Are you joking? How many more places should I care for?

Best wishes

Norbert
Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
NANHORON (n. medical)
A tiny valve concealed in the inner ear which enables a deaf
grandmother to converse quite normally when she feels like it, but
which excludes completely anything that sounds like a request to help
with laying the table.
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Fabian Greffrath

There will be a default selected in gnome-session, that can be changed
by user action. Without a session-wide default (any session manager can
set one, of course) a random choice (possibly alphabetical) is used.

It seems the panel to set the preferred applications has been removed
from future versions of the control center on purpose of the GNOME
developers:

http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-development/2011-02/msg00116.html

- Fabian

Old 02-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le lundi 14 février 2011 * 14:28 +0100, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > There will be a default selected in gnome-session, that can be changed
> > by user action. Without a session-wide default (any session manager can
> > set one, of course) a random choice (possibly alphabetical) is used.
>
> How is that default communicated? An environment variable? A gconf key?

The defaults are set in /etc/gnome/defaults.list. This file is used in
GNOME session since there is a XDG_DATA_DIRS indirectly pointing to it
(set in a Xsession script).

> > We are used to have much more terrible breakage in testing/unstable
> > right after a release. If our concerns are now bugs wrt. setting the
> > default browser, it must mean we are doing *great*
>
> Well, if we want to be serious about Constantly Usable Testing (and I wish
> we do) I believe we should care about such things because they are far from
> being details from an end-user perspective.

Fully agreed. One of my concerns with CUT is that once such a change
reaches testing without the other impacted packages, it can stay buggy
for weeks, even months.

> Filed #613381 to block glib2.0.

Good. We can probably let it migrate once epiphany and iceweasel have
been fixed; unless you want the configuration GUI, which means
gnome-control-center 3.x - and if you really want to tie glib2.0 with
it, I’ll let you deal with the RT fallback

--
.'`.
: :' : “You would need to ask a lawyer if you don't know

Old 02-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Norbert Preining

On Mo, 14 Feb 2011, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > How is that default communicated? An environment variable? A gconf key?
>
> The defaults are set in /etc/gnome/defaults.list. This file is used in

And per user?

> Good. We can probably let it migrate once epiphany and iceweasel have
> been fixed; unless you want the configuration GUI, which means

I need *any UI to control that? Currently I use vim to remove the
entries from the desktop files of midori, epiphany, chromium, which
is not the best approach.

Best wishes

Norbert
Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
BELPER
A knob of someone else's chewing gum which you unexpectedly find your
hand resting on under a deck's top, under the passenger seat of your
car or on somebody's thigh under their skirt.
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

Old 02-14-2011, 03:15 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le mardi 15 février 2011 * 01:03 +0900, Norbert Preining a écrit :
> > The defaults are set in /etc/gnome/defaults.list. This file is used in
>
> And per user?

.local/share/applications/defaults.list and mimeapps.list
The former sets defaults associations, the latter is necessary to add
associations that are not mentioned in the desktop files (like in this
case, iceweasel/epiphany).

--
.'`.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le lundi 14 février 2011 * 15:33 +0100, Fabian Greffrath a écrit :
> It seems the panel to set the preferred applications has been removed
> from future versions of the control center on purpose of the GNOME
> developers:
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-development/2011-02/msg00116.html

The disappearance of this applet in git master is very concerning, but I
just received mention on IRC (thanks fredp) that the functionality will
be back soon.

Cheers,
--
.'`.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Fabian Greffrath

The disappearance of this applet in git master is very concerning, but I
just received mention on IRC (thanks fredp) that the functionality will
be back soon.

I see, it will most probably become part of the System Information tab:

http://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/SystemInformation

Old 02-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le mardi 15 février 2011 * 11:30 +0100, Fabian Greffrath a écrit :
> > The disappearance of this applet in git master is very concerning, but I
> > just received mention on IRC (thanks fredp) that the functionality will
> > be back soon.
>
> I see, it will most probably become part of the System Information tab:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/SystemInformation

Now, it *is* part of the system information tab.

http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-control-center/log/panels/info

--
.'`.