Old 02-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Bas Zoetekouw

Default Copyright question

Hi Jean!

You wrote:

> I intend to package HPL benchmarks. Copyright file contains the
> following statements:
> ----------------------
> 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
> notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
>
> 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
> notice, this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer in the
> documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
>
> 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
> software must display the following acknowledgement:
> This product includes software developed at the University of
> Tennessee, Knoxville, Innovative Computing Laboratories.
>
> 4. The name of the University, the name of the Laboratory, or the
> names of its contributors may not be used to endorse or promote
> products derived from this software without specific written
> permission.
> --------------------
>
> I've read DFSG and I'm not sure if items 3 and 4 are problematic. Can
> someone help me ? If it's not ok, may it be in contrib ?

Why is that probematic? It seems like a default 4-clause BSD license to
me. Should be fine, unless you intend to link it against GPL code.

Kind regards,
Bas.

| Bas Zoetekouw | Sweet day, so cool, so calm, so bright, |
|--------------------| The bridall of the earth and skie: |
| bas@zoetekouw.net | The dew shall weep thy fall tonight; |

Old 02-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Cyril Brulebois

On 06/02/2008, Jean Parpaillon wrote:
> 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
> software must display the following acknowledgement:
> This product includes software developed at the University of
> Tennessee, Knoxville, Innovative Computing Laboratories.
>
> 4. The name of the University, the name of the Laboratory, or the
> names of its contributors may not be used to endorse or promote
> products derived from this software without specific written
> permission.
> --------------------
>
> I've read DFSG and I'm not sure if items 3 and 4 are problematic. Can
> someone help me ? If it's not ok, may it be in contrib ?

See http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses, BSD-3 (without point 3.)
isn't a problem.

The advertising requirement (3.) is a problem, though.

Note that if a package isn't DFSG-free, it can't go to contrib either.
Contrib is for DFSG-free material depending on non-free (or contrib in
turn) stuff, see Policy 2.2.2.

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois

Old 02-06-2008, 02:50 PM
"brian m. carlson"

[Please follow up to -legal only. Full quote for the benefit of -legal.]

[...]

This is a standard BSD-with-advertising-clause, so yes, this is
DFSG-free. Only DFSG-free material may go in main or contrib; material
that does not meet the DFSG must go in non-free. Also note that due to
the advertising clause (clause 3), this license is not compatible with
the GPL.

In future, please post questions about copyright and licenses to -legal,
where the regulars are well versed.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only
troff on top of XML: http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc/code/thwack

Old 02-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Stephen Gran

This one time, at band camp, Cyril Brulebois said:
> On 06/02/2008, Jean Parpaillon wrote:
> > 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
> > software must display the following acknowledgement:
> > This product includes software developed at the University of
> > Tennessee, Knoxville, Innovative Computing Laboratories.
> >
> > 4. The name of the University, the name of the Laboratory, or the
> > names of its contributors may not be used to endorse or promote
> > products derived from this software without specific written
> > permission.
> > --------------------
> >
> The advertising requirement (3.) is a problem, though.

No.
| ,'`. Stephen Gran |
| : :' : sgran@debian.org |
| `. `' Debian user, admin, and developer |
| `- http://www.debian.org |

Old 02-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Sebastian Harl

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 04:46:23PM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> On 06/02/2008, Jean Parpaillon wrote:
> > 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
> > software must display the following acknowledgement:
> > This product includes software developed at the University of
> > Tennessee, Knoxville, Innovative Computing Laboratories.
> >
> > 4. The name of the University, the name of the Laboratory, or the
> > names of its contributors may not be used to endorse or promote
> > products derived from this software without specific written
> > permission.
> > --------------------
> >
> > I've read DFSG and I'm not sure if items 3 and 4 are problematic. Can
> > someone help me ? If it's not ok, may it be in contrib ?
>
> See http://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses, BSD-3 (without point 3.)
> isn't a problem.
>
> The advertising requirement (3.) is a problem, though.

Just to make this clear: the 4-clause BSD license is not a problem in
respect to DFSG-freeness - it's perfectly fine to include BSD 4-clause
licensed software in Debian. However, the license is incompatible to the
GPL, so you may not mix BSD 4-clause and GPL code.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Cyril Brulebois

On 06/02/2008, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> Just to make this clear […]

Yep, thank you (all) for clarifying that, sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois