Old 02-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Bastien ROUCARIES

Default Qt3 removal rational

I comaintain upstream qucs a simulator of electronics circuit and the
only free one able to simulate radio frequency circuit.

In the scientific field a lot of software depend of qt3. And a lot of
uptream lack ressource to port to qt4. At my workplace (university) we
are using a lot this kind of software for in house use.

We are not ready to scitch to qt4, and I am willing to ask more
explanation about removal of qt lib.

I have also seen that it exist some projet to package trinity for
debian, that could offer an alternative and some delay.
What is the status of inclusion under debian?

Bastien

Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Adrian Knoth

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 12:42:38PM +0100, Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:

> In the scientific field a lot of software depend of qt3. And a lot of

Same for kpicosim, but I'm pretty confident that I can run qt3to4 on it
and simply link with qt4's qt3 support library.

Last time I tried, the whole process was pretty straight forward and
took less than 15mins.

Just in case you're looking for a quick workaround.

HTH

--
mail: adi@thur.de http://adi.thur.de PGP/GPG: key via keyserver

Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer

On Tuesday 08 February 2011 08:42:38 Bastien ROUCARIES wrote:
> I comaintain upstream qucs a simulator of electronics circuit and the
> only free one able to simulate radio frequency circuit.
>
> In the scientific field a lot of software depend of qt3. And a lot of
> uptream lack ressource to port to qt4. At my workplace (university) we
> are using a lot this kind of software for in house use.
>
> We are not ready to scitch to qt4, and I am willing to ask more
> explanation about removal of qt lib.

[snip]

Hi Bastien!

As you may know, Qt3 has been dead upstream for more than four years, and thus
without any kind of maintenance.

Our team's interests in Qt 3 was due to KDE 3, which will be removed now. So,
there is no further interest on Qt 3 and people in this team do not want to
be upstream of it or do not have the time to do so.

Our original idea was to remove Qt 3 from Debian. This will be for us the best
decision.
Of course, we can simply orphan Qt 3, and hope somebody will step up to
maintain it; we are unconvinced this is a responsible step for us to take as
it would place the maintenance burden of a large package onto the QA team.

Kinds regards,

Lisandro, in name of the Qt/KDE team

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/

Old 02-09-2011, 05:45 AM
Adrian von Bidder

On Wednesday 09 February 2011 01.12:57 Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> Of course, we can simply orphan Qt 3, and hope somebody will step up to
> maintain it; we are unconvinced this is a responsible step for us to take
> as it would place the maintenance burden of a large package onto the QA
> team.

If qt3 is really popular with scientific apps, which presumably are slow
moving targets which are not esaily /quickly ported to qt4, it should be
enough motivation for the people who need qt3 to take on the maintenance, so
no need to burden the QA team. You need a piece of software, you do the
necessary packaging work - it's that simple, at least in theory.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 40th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3177