FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Matthew Johnson
 
Default How to cope with patches sanely --> Debian New Maintainers'

On Wed Feb 06 12:09, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 09:17:12PM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > Again, the discussion isn't (for me) about a tool, but an exchange
> > format. We are discussing having patches served in a quilt series, and
>
> okay, this approach is similar but different. So you want a quilt
> series, but not quilt. This means every other utility must be able to
> generate this and must support every future quilt has, which itself may
> not have. So, effectively you don't actively force them to use sth. but
> passiveley you do. The difference is small however.

I'd have said that it would be more sensible to define a reasonable subset
of quilt features. A set of patches with comments at the top and a
series file can be manipulated by many tools, isn't really
quilt-specific. Allowing obscure quilt-only features wasn't what I'd
understood from the discussion.

Anyway, given that many VCSen seem to be gaining quilt-compatible
interfaces, it doesn't really seem like forcing people to use quilt.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson
 
Old 02-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Patrick Schoenfeld
 
Default How to cope with patches sanely --> Debian New Maintainers'

Hi Matt,

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 11:25:19AM +0000, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> I'd have said that it would be more sensible to define a reasonable subset
> of quilt features. A set of patches with comments at the top and a

yes, this sounds reasonable. But I'm not a quilt user and therefore
don't know which features it support that may be useful for others too.
But editting patches in a prepared environment seems to be common to all
patch systems, so at least I have anything I need ;-) Can't speak for
others, though.

> series file can be manipulated by many tools, isn't really
> quilt-specific.

Indeed. After all the series file is just a text file.

> Allowing obscure quilt-only features wasn't what I'd
> understood from the discussion.

Neither did I. I just thought that it could have some features that make
it so much better then dpatch, which could actually make up the reason why
everybody is crying "damn dpatch, glorify quilt". So now everybody says
that they are *not* even talking about the tool, but instead about the
quilt *format* as an interchange format. That doesn't appear to be
logical, because there seems not to be a big difference between the two
"exchange formats" but indeed between the tools.

I was just wondering and I am still.

Regards,
Patrick


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Pierre Habouzit
 
Default How to cope with patches sanely --> Debian New Maintainers'

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:50:20AM +0000, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> Neither did I. I just thought that it could have some features that make
> it so much better then dpatch, which could actually make up the reason why
> everybody is crying "damn dpatch, glorify quilt". So now everybody says
> that they are *not* even talking about the tool, but instead about the
> quilt *format* as an interchange format. That doesn't appear to be
> logical, because there seems not to be a big difference between the two
> "exchange formats" but indeed between the tools.
>
> I was just wondering and I am still.

quilt is way more powerful to refresh patches when a new upstream
occurs. It does what it can do best without having mergeing features,
that only an advanced SCM can provide anyways.

And while being powerful, it remains simple, which dpatch is not.

--
O Pierre Habouzit
O madcoder@debian.org
OOO http://www.madism.org
 
Old 02-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Patrick Schoenfeld
 
Default How to cope with patches sanely --> Debian New Maintainers'

Hi Pierre,

(BTW. there is no need to CC me with your answers, I did not ask for
that as I am subscribed to the list :-)

On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 12:50:46AM +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> quilt is way more powerful to refresh patches when a new upstream
> occurs. It does what it can do best without having mergeing features,
> that only an advanced SCM can provide anyways.

That does mean quilt is able to refresh patches on upstream changes, so
that with luck the maintainer does not have to refresh the patches for
changes sources himself? That would be quiet nice, however I still fail
to see why this is a reason to prefer quilts *format* as an *exchange
format* if quilt itself is not to be used, which is what you say.

> And while being powerful, it remains simple, which dpatch is not.

dpatch is not simple? When refreshing patches or overall? As a dpatch
user I cannot really confirm this. Different to that I tried to work
into quilt these days and it seems to be way more complicated (and needs
some setup before working for debian packaging at all, which dpatch does
not need).

Best Regards,
Patrick


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:04 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org