Old 02-07-2008, 12:00 PM
maximilian attems

Default Changing priority of selinux back to optional

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 01:34:11PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 06:49:20PM +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> > but currently willing to work on i'd nack fjp requests.
> > of course if no progress has been made in a month,
> > his request is more then reasonable.
>
> I disagree that simply willingness can nack Frans' request.
> If the current situation is "bad", and I assume that trusting Frans'
> words, and it has been like that for long, then the request should be
> fulfilled now. Later on, if your willingness to work turns out in good
> result it can be reverted.

fjp didn't ask for it he send out a rfc and i only asked for 1 month time.

thanks

--
maks

Old 02-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Stefano Zacchiroli

On Thu, Feb 07, 2008 at 02:00:41PM +0100, maximilian attems wrote:
> > I disagree that simply willingness can nack Frans' request.
> > If the current situation is "bad", and I assume that trusting Frans'
> > words, and it has been like that for long, then the request should be
> > fulfilled now. Later on, if your willingness to work turns out in good
> > result it can be reverted.
> fjp didn't ask for it he send out a rfc and i only asked for 1 month time.

No objection on my side then, discuss this with fjp :-) I was just
making a general consideration on how I think this kind of workflow
should be dealt with in our setting. Besides, apparently Manoj has
contributed some work in the last few days. Coordinate with them and
everything will be fine ...

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org} -<%>- http://upsilon.cc/zack/
(15:56:48) Zack: e la demo dema ? / All one has to do is hit the
(15:57:15) Bac: no, la demo scema / right keys at the right time

Old 02-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Erich Schubert

Thanks, Manoj, for this powerful 'comeback'.
Looks like you've updated most of the packages already; at least the
non-GUI ones (which are the ones I care most about, I never really got
the hang of the UI apps).
Don't forget we'll also (AFAIK) need updates to PAM and OpenSSH.
These two are very important.

We still might want to share efforts with the Ubuntu folks, especially
if TreSys is involved there. I know that you don't like CDBS, but I find
it rather easy to use, whereas I never got around to dig into your make
system (I admit that this might be just because I wasn't willing to
spend the half hour or hour of concentration that I would have needed
for this). When I was doing backports for sarge (I guess) a long time
ago, it felt easier for me to redo them in CDBS than to find out how to
remove python-support and do manual python packaging in yours.
It would make sense to use a common 'codebase' for the Ubuntu and the
Debian stuff, but I'm not sure about the package quality of the Ubuntu
packages - at least they lack the usual upstream/diff split. I had a
quick look at the libselinux package, and it was using CDBS.
It's a very unfortunate situation that you don't use CDBS and many
others (just judging from the reports I've seen here, I'm not the only
one who said he decided to use CDBS instead) don't get the hang for your
build system. This doesn't make it easier to get more people involved.

But as long as you are around and updating the packages it's not at all
important - you're doing the job, so you get to decide. EOD.

P.S. If anyone wants to adopt the "selinux-basics" package, go ahead.

best regards,
Erich Schubert
--
erich@(vitavonni.de|debian.org) -- GPG Key ID: 4B3A135C (o_
Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? Who knows? Who cares? //

Old 02-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Christian Perrier

Quoting Andreas Tille (tillea@rki.de):

>> Being
>> something not really end user-oriented, that would have to be a
>> "hidden" task (not shown as a choice by tasksel) that one could choose
>> with the appropriate D-I boot option.
>
> Hmmm, why hidden? In how far are other tasks more or less user-oriented?

Quite far. The point of tasks presented to users during an install run
is being understandable by the very average user. The only way to give
a good idea of what SELinux is is more or less using "Security
enhanced system"....which would immediately lead to any user choosing
this, which is not really what we want if SELinux is not ready for
being part of the default install....

Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:27:45PM +0100, maximilian attems wrote:

> > The priority of selinux packages was changed from optional to standard,
> > fairly shortly before the release of Etch.
> >
> > I propose to revert that change before Lenny. The basic reason is that
> > the selinux packages have basically been unmaintained since the release
> > of Etch.
>
> I'd like to work on SELinux packages and bugs.

Good, I'll let you play with this one:
cron: http://bugs.debian.org/333837

I asked for help in the bug report, and still need someone to do the grunt
work in breaking off the cron tasks from cron in a clean way (the problem
being that those are conffiles that have to move from one package to another
one). I actually developed cron-standard [1] but my energy has been devoted
in other Debian-related tasks which seem to be higher priority requirements
to our users.

Regards

Javier

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2005/03/msg00384.html