Old 01-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Anssi Kolehmainen

Default network-manager rant

Hi all,

I just updated packages (which upgraded network-manager to 0.8.1-6) and then
rebooted computer. I was greeted with a five minute wait while ntpd tried to
query dns which was broken since network-manager decided to start, ignore
bridge mappings, do dhcp on physical port of the bridge (which of course
breaks the bridge) and clearing out /etc/resolv.conf. Again.

There seems to be bugs filed for the relevant things so I won't bother
creating new tickets. I just hope you would make network-manager not break
things when system is in perfect working order

My workaround was to purge network-manager and I'm planning to fix this by
creating a package which Conflicts: network-manager. Maybe you could provide
this kind of package by default

--
Anssi Kolehmainen
anssi.kolehmainen@iki.fi

Old 01-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Kris Deugau

Anssi Kolehmainen wrote:

Hi all,

I just updated packages (which upgraded network-manager to 0.8.1-6) and then
rebooted computer. I was greeted with a five minute wait while ntpd tried to
query dns which was broken since network-manager decided to start, ignore
bridge mappings, do dhcp on physical port of the bridge (which of course
breaks the bridge) and clearing out /etc/resolv.conf. Again.

I've "fixed" irregular meddling with my resolv.conf on Debian and other
distros by:

a) Remove resolvconf, by force if necessary
b) chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf (yes, I *did* find once instance where
this was necessary <shudder>)

-kgd

Old 01-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Pietro Abate

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 08:58:30PM +0200, Anssi Kolehmainen wrote:
> My workaround was to purge network-manager and I'm planning to fix this by
> creating a package which Conflicts: network-manager. Maybe you could provide
> this kind of package by default

I'm a very happy user of wicd. It works well to wireless network, it's
scripatble and it's much less invasive then n-m even if it does not have
all its features.

give it a try !

----

Old 01-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Norbert Preining

On Do, 13 Jan 2011, Pietro Abate wrote:
> > My workaround was to purge network-manager and I'm planning to fix this by
> > creating a package which Conflicts: network-manager. Maybe you could provide
> > this kind of package by default
>
> I'm a very happy user of wicd. It works well to wireless network, it's

Agreed, I *loved* wicd, until I had to connect/tether my iPhone as modem
to the laptop, for this I didn't find a decent solution with wicd, and
with n-m and the bluetooth manager it was a piece of cake ... so yes,
as long as you don't need it, I recommend wicd, too.

Best wishes

Norbert
Norbert Preining preining@{jaist.ac.jp, logic.at, debian.org}
JAIST, Japan TeX Live & Debian Developer
DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094
`We've got to find out what people want from fire, how
they relate to it, what sort of image it has for them.'
The crowd were tense. They were expecting something
wonderful from Ford.
`Stick it up your nose,' he said.
`Which is precisely the sort of thing we need to know,'
insisted the girl, `Do people want fire that can be fitted
nasally?'
--- Ford "debating" what to do with fire with a marketing
--- girl.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le mercredi 12 janvier 2011 * 20:58 +0200, Anssi Kolehmainen a écrit :
> My workaround was to purge network-manager and I'm planning to fix this by
> creating a package which Conflicts: network-manager. Maybe you could provide
> this kind of package by default

Unless you have more useful suggestions, mine will be to go write your
rants to places nobody will read them.

--
.'`.
: :' : “You would need to ask a lawyer if you don't know

Old 01-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Michael Biebl

On 14.01.2011 12:30, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mercredi 12 janvier 2011 20:58 +0200, Anssi Kolehmainen a crit :
>> My workaround was to purge network-manager and I'm planning to fix this by
>> creating a package which Conflicts: network-manager. Maybe you could provide
>> this kind of package by default
>
> Unless you have more useful suggestions, mine will be to go write your
> rants to places nobody will read them.

Usually, I don't read emails which have "rant" in their topic.

That said, I contacted Anssi privately and after some debugging the problem was
quickly found, resulting in #609831, which is easy to fix.

Next time I hope, Anssi consider filing a bug report as a first step.

Cheers,
Michael
universe are pointed away from Earth?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Gunnar Wolf

Michael Biebl dijo [Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 01:34:45PM +0100]:
> >> My workaround was to purge network-manager and I'm planning to fix this by
> >> creating a package which Conflicts: network-manager. Maybe you could provide
> >> this kind of package by default
> >
> > Unless you have more useful suggestions, mine will be to go write your
> > rants to places nobody will read them.
>
> Usually, I don't read emails which have "rant" in their topic.
>
> That said, I contacted Anssi privately and after some debugging the problem was
> quickly found, resulting in #609831, which is easy to fix.
>
> Next time I hope, Anssi consider filing a bug report as a first step.

But even if this is not the right place for bug reports, our users
might not know it. Yes, Anssi's message was not in the best tone - But
the right answer would be to direct him to the right place
(submit@bugs.d.o) _without_insulting_him_.

Please, lets all try to keep d-devel civil.