Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Bernd Zeimetz

Default Intend to hijack rrdtool

[CCing smurf@debian.org as he is listed as Uploader]

Hi,

as rrdtool is a vital part of a lot of system monitoring solutions and
should not go into Lenny in its current unmaintained state, I intend to
hijack it.

Unfortunately the current rrdtool package
- is outdated. Currently we have 1.2.19 in testing, while 1.2.26 is out
now, which does not only include a lot of bugfixes (not only for bugs in
Debian's BTS) but also has a significantly improved performance.
ender@debian.org was pinged several times about updating the package, in
#431060 (4 times), on irc (#debian-devel/oftc, Dec 02 2007 03:45 CET)
and also by a mail from me to him one week ago, which was also forwarded
to the MIA team.

- has a high bugcount:
All bugs 25
RC bugs 2
I&N bugs 14
M&W bugs 8
F&P bugs 1
(while the only F&P bug the mentioned #431060, which is tagged pending
for 33 days now, while being open for 220 days). Looking at the archived
bugs there were only a few bugs closed by the current maintainer, all
open bugs are several months old now.

- Still ignores the new Python policy completely.

If there are no objections I want to upload a new and heavily overworked
package in about two weeks as the very soft freeze for Lenny will be in
the early march, so there's at least some time left for intensive testing.

Best regards,

--
Bernd Zeimetz
<bernd@bzed.de> <http://bzed.de/>

Old 02-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Sebastian Harl

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 12:41:24AM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> If there are no objections I want to upload a new and heavily overworked
> package in about two weeks

I cannot image that there are any real objections. There was only a
single non-NMU upload since the beginning of 2005 and that upload
happened almost one year ago while there is plenty of work to do (as you
already stated in Bernd's E-mail).

Please go ahead and hijack it.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Bernd Zeimetz

Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> [CCing smurf@debian.org as he is listed as Uploader]
>
> Hi,
>
> as rrdtool is a vital part of a lot of system monitoring solutions and
> should not go into Lenny in its current unmaintained state, I intend to
> hijack it.

After a lot of positiv reactions on my intention to hijack rrdtool, and
several offers to co-maintain the package in a team, the package would
be maintained by (at least) Sebastian Harl (sh@tokkee.org), Alexander
Wirt (formorer) and me.

--
Bernd Zeimetz
<bernd@bzed.de> <http://bzed.de/>

Old 02-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Matthias Urlichs

Hi,

Bernd Zeimetz:
> as rrdtool is a vital part of a lot of system monitoring solutions and
> should not go into Lenny in its current unmaintained state, I intend to
> hijack it.

Do it.

--
Matthias Urlichs | {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de | smurf@smurf.noris.de
- -

Old 02-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Amaya

Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> ender@debian.org was pinged several times about updating the package

He is just dead busy, go ahead.

--
·'`. Moi je voudrais bien, un beau matin, qu'il y est
: :' : une fleur dans mon jardin

Old 02-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Bernd Zeimetz

Heya,

after so many positive responses we've decided to upload rrdtool today,
also not to loose time as it has to go trough NEW. It is team-maintained
and living in a git repository now.

Maintainer: Debian RRDtool Team <rrdtool@ml.snow-crash.org>
Vcs-Browser: http://git.snow-crash.org/?p=pkg-rrdtool.git;a=summary
Vcs-Git: git://git.snow-crash.org/pkg-rrdtool.git/

Best regards,

Bernd

Old 02-12-2008, 08:32 AM
David Martínez Moreno

El lunes, 11 de febrero de 2008, Bernd Zeimetz escribió:
> Heya,
>
> after so many positive responses we've decided to upload rrdtool today,
> also not to loose time as it has to go trough NEW. It is team-maintained
> and living in a git repository now.
>
> Maintainer: Debian RRDtool Team <rrdtool@ml.snow-crash.org>
> Vcs-Browser: http://git.snow-crash.org/?p=pkg-rrdtool.git;a=summary
> Vcs-Git: git://git.snow-crash.org/pkg-rrdtool.git/

There *is* a pkg-rrdtool team in alioth, and a public SVN (that you see was
having commits as of two days ago). I had problems to access my @debian.org
address and just saw your mails today.

Ender.
--
Network engineer
Debian Developer

Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Bernd Zeimetz

> There *is* a pkg-rrdtool team in alioth, and a public SVN (that you see was
> having commits as of two days ago). I had problems to access my @debian.org
> address and just saw your mails today.

I've offered to help you with the package several times during the last
months, I don't understand why you did not point me to the team. As
rrdtool is not just 'some' package, but one of the most important pieces
in most monitoring tools, it needs much more time and work than it had
during the last years. Proper maintenance of a package also means to
update to new upstream versions in time, and not short before a freeze
of a new Debian release.
While we don't want to fight about a package, we insist on a good
maintenance of rrdtool, therefore I'd suggest to merge our work and the
two teams (even if I have the impression that you're the only active
person in your team).

Best regards,

Bernd

Old 02-15-2008, 07:18 AM
David Martínez Moreno

El miércoles, 13 de febrero de 2008, Bernd Zeimetz escribió:
> > There *is* a pkg-rrdtool team in alioth, and a public SVN (that you see
> > was having commits as of two days ago). I had problems to access my
> > @debian.org address and just saw your mails today.
>
> I've offered to help you with the package several times during the last
> months, I don't understand why you did not point me to the team. As
> rrdtool is not just 'some' package, but one of the most important pieces
> in most monitoring tools, it needs much more time and work than it had
> during the last years. Proper maintenance of a package also means to
> update to new upstream versions in time, and not short before a freeze
> of a new Debian release.
> While we don't want to fight about a package, we insist on a good
> maintenance of rrdtool, therefore I'd suggest to merge our work and the
> two teams (even if I have the impression that you're the only active
> person in your team).

I am very sorry if I bothered you so much.

Do you prefer your git, or the Debian SVN or maybe git.debian.org?

Regards,

Ender.
--
Network engineer