Old 12-24-2010, 11:57 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Default Question: How is debian-policy during freeze?

Dear developers,

how are you dealing with packages during freeze?

Are package versions, which are now in testing frozen even when they are not
working? Or do you exchange not working versions from testing against working
versikns from unstable shortly before the release?

I just ask, because in the last days I discovered some packages, which are not
working in testing, but working in unstable.

One example is "bootcd" which in testing is (grave) version 3.22 and in
unstable (already fixed!) version 3.23. But version 3.23 is not being
transferred to testing since months.

Doesn't that not brake releases?

Best regards

Hans-J. Ullrich

Old 12-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Julien Cristau

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 13:57:33 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> Dear developers,
>
> how are you dealing with packages during freeze?
>
> Are package versions, which are now in testing frozen even when they are not
> working? Or do you exchange not working versions from testing against working
> versikns from unstable shortly before the release?
>
> I just ask, because in the last days I discovered some packages, which are not
> working in testing, but working in unstable.
>
> One example is "bootcd" which in testing is (grave) version 3.22 and in
> unstable (already fixed!) version 3.23. But version 3.23 is not being
> transferred to testing since months.
>
> Doesn't that not brake releases?

Bugs don't get fixed in testing if they don't get reported. There's no
release critical bug filed against the bootcd package in testing.

Cheers,
Julien

Old 12-24-2010, 01:05 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Freitag, 24. Dezember 2010 schrieb Julien Cristau:
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 13:57:33 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > Dear developers,
> >
> > how are you dealing with packages during freeze?
> >
> > Are package versions, which are now in testing frozen even when they are
> > not working? Or do you exchange not working versions from testing
> > against working versikns from unstable shortly before the release?
> >
> > I just ask, because in the last days I discovered some packages, which
> > are not working in testing, but working in unstable.
> >
> > One example is "bootcd" which in testing is (grave) version 3.22 and in
> > unstable (already fixed!) version 3.23. But version 3.23 is not being
> > transferred to testing since months.
> >
> > Doesn't that not brake releases?
>
> Bugs don't get fixed in testing if they don't get reported. There's no
> release critical bug filed against the bootcd package in testing.
>
> Cheers,
> Julien

Yeah, the bug was reported, the bug was fixed, but the version with the fix is
not beein updated in testing.

Cheers

Hans

Old 12-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Olaf van der Spek

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
> Yeah, the bug was reported, the bug was fixed, but the version with the fix is
> not beein updated in testing.

Link to bug report?

Olaf

Old 12-24-2010, 01:45 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Freitag, 24. Dezember 2010 schrieb Olaf van der Spek:
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de>
wrote:
> > Yeah, the bug was reported, the bug was fixed, but the version with the
> > fix is not beein updated in testing.
>
> Link to bug report?
>
> Olaf

This is the link:

Hans

Old 12-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Mehdi Dogguy

On 12/24/2010 03:45 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Am Freitag, 24. Dezember 2010 schrieb Olaf van der Spek:
>> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich
>> <hans.ullrich@loop.de>
> wrote:
>>> Yeah, the bug was reported, the bug was fixed, but the version
>>> with the fix is not beein updated in testing.
>>
>> Link to bug report?
>>
>> Olaf
>
> This is the link:

FTR, it has been unblocked by Julien. It will migrate during next
britney's run.

Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/

Old 12-24-2010, 02:35 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Freitag, 24. Dezember 2010 schrieb Mehdi Dogguy:
> On 12/24/2010 03:45 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 24. Dezember 2010 schrieb Olaf van der Spek:
> >> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich
> >> <hans.ullrich@loop.de>

> >> Link to bug report?
> >>
> >> Olaf
> >
> > This is the link:

> FTR, it has been unblocked by Julien. It will migrate during next
> britney's run.
>
> Regards,

Yes, thank you very much. I tested version 3.23 and everything is working fine
so far.

Great!

Best regards

Hans

Old 12-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Julien Cristau

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 15:45:37 +0100, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> Am Freitag, 24. Dezember 2010 schrieb Olaf van der Spek:
> > On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de>
> wrote:
> > > Yeah, the bug was reported, the bug was fixed, but the version with the
> > > fix is not beein updated in testing.
> >
> > Link to bug report?
> >
> > Olaf
>
> This is the link:

You filed that bug at "normal" severity. That does not indicate a
non-working package, so it stays below the radar…

Cheers,
Julien

Old 12-24-2010, 06:10 PM
David Bremner

> > This is the link:

> You filed that bug at "normal" severity. That does not indicate a
> non-working package, so it stays below the radar…

I believe Patrick Schoenfeld downgraded the bug.

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=12;bug=562560#12