Old 12-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Yaroslav Halchenko

Default owner for ITP bugreports

Ah, now I found where I screwed up: I have my personal email as the email
address but with a Team name. I have used

reportbug --realname="NeuroDebian Team" --email=team@neuro.debian.net -b wnpp

and because I did have REPORTBUGEMAIL env var set to my email, it took
precedence over --email.

Good to know... I will fix-up relevant ITPs to contain proper entry

NeuroDebian Team <team@neuro.debian.net>

Meanwhile discussion on a generic topic "owner for ITP -- team vs individual":

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > and then what to do if we have not decided yet what particular humanoid
> > will accomplish the mission?
> It doesn't matter much. You can always change the submitter afterwards.

nah, then we should do it upon every commit to the repository while
multiple people working on the packaging...

> If you have no volunteer to do the work, it could be argued that you
> should first file a RFP and change it into an ITP once you know who will
> do the work.

yes, we do have volunteers (more than 1) to do the work -- it is us, the
team. It might end up being one specific person, or multiple developers
working on it at the same time... it depends, our primary goal is to get job
done.

Overall, what specific problem (if there is any) would be solved by
requesting to specify some other than team name/address for the package which
is going to be team maintained? imho none

Meanwhile more arguments why I consider team contact appropriate (and
even preferable at times) for the Owner of an ITP, in contrast to a single,
possibly arbitrarily chosen, developer from the team:

* Team contacts are our preferable entry for the "Maintainer" field
in the packaged package

Many benefits of having team in the maintainer apply to having
team in the owner of ITP: more eyes, aggregated qa. page etc

* We have no strict requirement for the submitters of ITPs being a DD.
it could be owned by an arbitrary (possibly fictional) person with
arbitrarily contact email (possibly fake);

so NeuroDebian Team could be treated as a single humanoid with an email
team@neuro.debian.net or we could come up with a more specific one

A.Humanoid <humanoid@neuro.debian.net>

to be forwarded to team@

Old 12-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Raphael Hertzog

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> > It doesn't matter much. You can always change the submitter afterwards.
>
> nah, then we should do it upon every commit to the repository while
> multiple people working on the packaging...

Of course not, my request is that the submitter is a human-being not that
it matches the last-person having worked on the packaging.

> Overall, what specific problem (if there is any) would be solved by
> requesting to specify some other than team name/address for the package which
> is going to be team maintained? imho none

When I reply to some ITP with advice, I like to know who wrote the ITP.

> Meanwhile more arguments why I consider team contact appropriate (and
> even preferable at times) for the Owner of an ITP, in contrast to a single,
> possibly arbitrarily chosen, developer from the team:
>
> * Team contacts are our preferable entry for the "Maintainer" field
> in the packaged package

That's fine. You can put the team as the "owner" of the bug and you'll get
the BTS traffic to the team email.

But if you really use a "team identity" to submit ITP, I would ask you to
at least sign your message (i.e. put your own human name at the end).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)

Old 12-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Yaroslav Halchenko

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> But if you really use a "team identity" to submit ITP, I would ask you to
> at least sign your message (i.e. put your own human name at the end).

Sounds sensible -- we will do that in the future