Old 02-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Julian Andres Klode

Default Adding Install-Architecture to debian/control

Currently, we have Architecture to specify supported Architectures.

The problem are packages containing arch-indep content, but are only useful
on specific architectures (e.g. ndisgtk on i386 and amd64) and/or need
dependencies only available on these architectures. This means that the
package would be arch-dep.

I would like to add a field called Install-Architecture (or similar), which
lists the architectures the package should be installed in, i.e. added to
the Packages file.

Such a field would allow us to make packages like ndisgtk arch-indep, while
installing them only into the architectures specified in Install-Architecture.

This could reduce needed disk space, reduce the work for the buildds and
many other things.
--
Julian Andres Klode, Fellow of the Free Software Foundation Europe
Ubuntu Member | Debian Packager | Developer

try Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/ | my site: http://jak-linux.org/
mail: juliank@ubuntu.com | IRC: juliank
languages: German | English

Old 02-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Russ Allbery

Julian Andres Klode <jak@jak-linux.org> writes:

> Currently, we have Architecture to specify supported Architectures.
>
> The problem are packages containing arch-indep content, but are only
> useful on specific architectures (e.g. ndisgtk on i386 and amd64) and/or
> need dependencies only available on these architectures. This means that
> the package would be arch-dep.
>
> I would like to add a field called Install-Architecture (or similar),
> which lists the architectures the package should be installed in,
> i.e. added to the Packages file.
>
> Such a field would allow us to make packages like ndisgtk arch-indep,
> while installing them only into the architectures specified in
> Install-Architecture.
>
> This could reduce needed disk space, reduce the work for the buildds and
> many other things.

This would be useful for kernel module source that will only build on a
subset of the architectures that Debian supports as well.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Daniel Baumann

Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Such a field would allow us to make packages like ndisgtk arch-indep,
>> while installing them only into the architectures specified in
>> Install-Architecture.

make your package arch all and request an entry in p-a-s; given that
p-a-s maintainers react timely, there's imho no need for an extra
control field to dublicate that information.

> This would be useful for kernel module source that will only build on a
> subset of the architectures that Debian supports as well.

that would be very painful. module-source tarballs need to stay
available on all architectures; the conglomeration package maintains
where its binary modules are built or not. for everyone else it shoudn't
matter if they have the module-source in their package indices or not.

assumed there would be a control field to restrict that to a subset of
architectures, the module-source would need a sourceful upload from the
maintainer *as well* as the change in the conglomeration package if the
archs are changing. this happens all the time, and it's already not easy
to get each maintainer preparing their modules for a new kernel release,
adding such a huge, slow and useless layer of buerocracy makes
conglomeration packages unmaintainable.

--
Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email: daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net

Old 02-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Bastian Blank

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 02:34:59PM +0100, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> Russ Allbery wrote:
> >> Such a field would allow us to make packages like ndisgtk arch-indep,
> >> while installing them only into the architectures specified in
> >> Install-Architecture.
> make your package arch all and request an entry in p-a-s; given that
> p-a-s maintainers react timely, there's imho no need for an extra
> control field to dublicate that information.

_no_. p-a-s records architectures for building, not installing.

Bastian

--
Even historians fail to learn from history -- they repeat the same mistakes.
-- John Gill, "Patterns of Force", stardate 2534.7

Old 02-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Goswin von Brederlow

Julian Andres Klode <jak@jak-linux.org> writes:

> Currently, we have Architecture to specify supported Architectures.
>
> The problem are packages containing arch-indep content, but are only useful
> on specific architectures (e.g. ndisgtk on i386 and amd64) and/or need
> dependencies only available on these architectures. This means that the
> package would be arch-dep.
>
> I would like to add a field called Install-Architecture (or similar), which
> lists the architectures the package should be installed in, i.e. added to
> the Packages file.
>
> Such a field would allow us to make packages like ndisgtk arch-indep, while
> installing them only into the architectures specified in Install-Architecture.
>
> This could reduce needed disk space, reduce the work for the buildds and
> many other things.

How about using (for example)

Architecture: all [i386 amd64 ppc]

MfG